Tips pros use... Surprise !

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name the other tips please.

Most of my re-tipping has been on non-expensive shafts until my skills got better...then I tried a few different tips on my McDermott iPro, settling on my first successfully shaped laminated tip, which then gave me the confidence to do my OB Pro+ and my turned down G-Core with the Ultraskins.

from left to right:

Triangle -- Hercules -- Triangle (short*) -- Triumph -- Water Buffalo -- Elk Master -- Triangle -- Ultraskin black -- Ultraskin ivory

*maybe will post pics soon, but I have at least 20-25 Triangles...but realized some are a bit shorter in height/thickness than others--anyone ever heard of this?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plenty of Champions still using LePro. You just have to cherry pick the box and file off about a quarter of the tip before you shape it up...and your set. People crazy spending 30$ for a tip when they can't run a table in the first place. Worry about your game not your tip. I have a preference for single layer hard LePro or water buffalo (schon factory tip) Sumo extra hard (japan)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Plenty of Champions still using LePro. You just have to cherry pick the box and file off about a quarter of the tip before you shape it up...and your set. People crazy spending 30$ for a tip when they can't run a table in the first place. Worry about your game not your tip. I have a preference for single layer hard LePro or water buffalo (schon factory tip) Sumo extra hard (japan)

Dunno if I agree with that. Why not buy the best equipment you can afford? I'm not talking 5 figure collector cues, but a damned good cue tipped with a highly recommended tip such as an ultraskin?

Even if you can't run a table, at least you'll know that it's you and not the equipment. :thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Might try weighing them

I like Elkmasters or Duds made from Elkmasters. Been a long time since I have bought any but I got out my calipers and measured one tip. Then I locked the jaws on the caliper and just used it to gauge the other tips. All were the same diameter and height. Then I weighed them. About nine were superlight, I tossed them in the garbage. There were three that were very heavy. The rest all fell into two groups where all in each group were very close to the same weight. Those I either dudded or used just like they were. I still have some but of those I have used or put on for other people there hasn't been a stinker in the bunch.

It might take twenty or thirty minutes to sort tips this way but I think it is time well spent with any single layer tip. I much prefer single layer tips after testing layered tips, just got to find one I like or anybody likes and buy a box of them. As I said, been awhile but I think my last box of Elkmasters cost me between thirty and forty cents each. Not too much pain in tossing roughly one in five.

Hu

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll gave a pro a tip once and he wouldn't take it.

I asked him why not.

He said my suggestion for him to get a job was out of the question.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Nobody appreciates good advice!

I'll gave a pro a tip once and he wouldn't take it.

I asked him why not.

He said my suggestion for him to get a job was out of the question.

You might be surprised at how many people are offended when I tell them to take two weeks off then quit!

Classic case of giving somebody a simple instruction and them cobbling the instruction up, long ago the comedians were going to play the actors a game of baseball in hollywood. Groucho was captain of the comedians and they were first at bat. Milton Berle was the lead off batter and Groucho told him to hit a home run. Instead Berle whiffed three strikes. Groucho was highly indignant and quit on the spot! "If people can't follow simple instructions ..."

Hu

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might take twenty or thirty minutes to sort tips this way but I think it is time well spent with any single layer tip. I much prefer single layer tips after testing layered tips, just got to find one I like or anybody likes and buy a box of them. As I said, been awhile but I think my last box of Elkmasters cost me between thirty and forty cents each. Not too much pain in tossing roughly one in five.

Hu

I do a similar process to sort the keepers. Well worth the time. I end up with 12-15 out of a box of 50 though. Still cost effective.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m from the era that treasured Champion tips...with the red (Bakelite?) back....
..it was a one-man shop....the owner got old....the quality then went down hill.

Ted Harris introduced me to Moori...they were great...but a one man shop....
...the quality went down hill also.
...and Moori San got old also.

Now I got Sniper on almost all my shafts...once they break in, it gives me a hard tip...
...that doesn’t miscue....my favorite

I’ve had a one-piece tip by Chris Renfro that I liked also

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Seems to be a common theme

I’m from the era that treasured Champion tips...with the red (Bakelite?) back....
..it was a one-man shop....the owner got old....the quality then went down hill.

Ted Harris introduced me to Moori...they were great...but a one man shop....
...the quality went down hill also.
...and Moori San got old also.

Now I got Sniper on almost all my shafts...once they break in, it gives me a hard tip...
...that doesn’t miscue....my favorite

I’ve had a one-piece tip by Chris Renfro that I liked also

It seems to be a common thing. Somebody has a good product in small production. Then demand goes way up and they try to crank out a lot more themselves or hire helpers. Either way corners get cut and quality isn't quite what it was. Sometimes it is just the hand of time on somebody's shoulder that destroys quality.

Tips last me a long time so I probably have a lifetime supply of Elkmasters that are about ten years old now, maybe a little more. They are inside a sealed gallon container with other tips and such and have been in climate control for all of that time. Seem fine when I eyeball them but I haven't done an install recently.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It seems to be a common thing. Somebody has a good product in small production. Then demand goes way up and they try to crank out a lot more themselves or hire helpers. Either way corners get cut and quality isn't quite what it was. Sometimes it is just the hand of time on somebody's shoulder that destroys quality.

Tips last me a long time so I probably have a lifetime supply of Elkmasters that are about ten years old now, maybe a little more. They are inside a sealed gallon container with other tips and such and have been in climate control for all of that time. Seem fine when I eyeball them but I haven't done an install recently.

Hu

The worst thing that happened to tip excellence was WWI II ...a French family made the
best....they had a process that was held secret...their farmhouse took a direct hit from a
bomb....everybody died.

Fred Davis, the great Joe Davis’ brother, was in Toronto when I was a kid....when he found this room owner had some pre-war French tips, his eyes lit up
...Sammy, the owner, gave us five apiece.

But they had gone dead...:crying:

Mike Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a pic of some old tips. You can see that the Chaudivert's were being imitated.

Old Tips d.JPG