Barry Hearn Wants Team Europe to Take on Best of Asia

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom Sport founder and chairman Barry Hearn says he has big plans for Team Europe following their emphatic Mosconi Cup victory over USA at Alexandra Palace.

Hearn admits they need to do something about it quickly, otherwise Europe will blow them out the water again. He also plans to take on the best of Asia in a similar style format to the Mosconi Cup.

"You have to say European pool is in a good place," Hearn told Sky Sports. "They've got better and better every year and now they're in danger of running over America unless they get something right.

"These guys are so confident and they operate so well as a team together that they're going to take a hell of a lot of beating.

"I've spent the last couple of days talking to the greatest pool players in Asia and I'm going to bring these guys back to play the top player from China, from Korea, from Philippines and see if we can test these guys because they weren't really tested against these Americans who weren't good enough."

Source --> HERE [Retrieved 11 December 2016]

Cute photo of Barry and Ronnie. Barry Hearn, left, has been chairman of World Snooker since 2010.

Attachments

• _92706349_hearn_osullivan1_getty.jpg
    _92706349_hearn_osullivan1_getty.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 888

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, that Barry gets around. :grin:

Wladimir Klitschko and Barry Hearn ringside in the crowd for Anthony Joshua and Eric Molina match Saturday night, December 10th.

Source --> HERE
[Retrieved 11 December 2016]

Attachments

• 3B41B83800000578-4021126-image-a-206_1481414372817.jpg
    3B41B83800000578-4021126-image-a-206_1481414372817.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 846

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Barry has other sports eruptions to deal with, even snooker.

Barry Hearn has hit back at snooker legend Ronnie O’Sullivan after the five-time world champion criticized prize money

The World Snooker chairman believes the sport has never been in a better position and has praised how the game has developed in recent years.

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn has accused Ronnie O’Sullivan of pressing the self-destruct button with his “car-boot sport” rant.

The Rocket claimed snooker has a poor image, represents cheap TV, needs bigger top prizes and is treated with little respect despite strong viewing figures. :eek:

Source: Hearn Hits Back

Attachments

• nintchdbpict000230857015.jpg
    nintchdbpict000230857015.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 840

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"...they weren't really tested against these Americans who weren't good enough."

Unfortunately, Mr. Hearn is 100% correct. As of right now, the Mosconi Cup is dead. Can it be resurrected? Only if there is a pool revival in the U.S. But I don't see any new "Color of Money" movies on the horizon. The real match now is be between Europe and Asia.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, Mr. Hearn is 100% correct. As of right now, the Mosconi Cup is dead. Can it be resurrected? Only if there is a pool revival in the U.S. But I don't see any new "Color of Money" movies on the horizon. The real match now is be between Europe and Asia.

The competition between Europe and USA has been a traditional one, but as with everything in life, things evolve and go in a different direction sometimes.

I would definitely be curious to see how the Asian audience members and the Asian pro players react to the European fans in the stands. :grin-square:

Barry talked about this last year. I even told the forum as much, as I was privy to a conversation about this. At the time, Barry's plan was to give team America a final shot (this year), before pivoting to a Europe vs Asia match up. I doubt it will still be called the Mosconi Cup, though. This year just cemented the fact that American Pool is finished on an international level. Sure, we will continue to produce an occasional champion, but we may never be dominate again.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry talked about this last year. I even told the forum as much, as I was privy to a conversation about this. At the time, Barry's plan was to give team America a final shot (this year), before pivoting to a Europe vs Asia match up. I doubt it will still be called the Mosconi Cup, though. This year just cemented the fact that American Pool is finished on an international level. Sure, we will continue to produce an occasional champion, but we may never be dominate again.

I remember when you shared that bit of news. Looks like it will be coming to fruition sooner than we think, unless, of course, there is one last-ditch effort granted to USA.

There's rumblings of boot camps, private funding, travel, and the like. If it is possible to form five players into a worthy team, great. But professional pool in America will still be dying a slow and ugly death unless there's a Nancy Kerrigan-type happening or another pool movie or -- or -- or -- well, I'm running out of thoughts here. :eek:

I remember when you shared that bit of news. Looks like it will be coming to fruition sooner than we think, unless, of course, there is one last-ditch effort granted to USA.

There's rumblings of boot camps, private funding, travel, and the like. If it is possible to form five players into a worthy team, great. But professional pool in America will still be dying a slow and ugly death unless there's a Nancy Kerrigan-type happening or another pool movie or -- or -- or -- well, I'm running out of thoughts here. :eek:

The thing is, had these last 2 cups been even mildly competitive, regardless of European wins, we wouldn't be in this spot. 11-8, 11-9 final scores means folks are still tuning in on the last day with the outcome of the match still hanging in the balance. That means more viewers. On the business side, that allows Barry to charge more for advertising. But if your recent track record shows lower viewer turnout on the final day, over the last few years, the ad dollars that fuel the show become much smaller.

Bringing Asia into the mix, from Barry's business standpoint, is a homerun. Asia has the popular/extensive billiard audience in the world. I know people hate Charlie Williams, but why do you think he's pulled out of the US entirely (except 14.1)? Not because people don't like him, lol. He's in Asia because that's where the ONLY real money is in pool.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is, had these last 2 cups been even mildly competitive, regardless of European wins, we wouldn't be in this spot. 11-8, 11-9 final scores means folks are still tuning in on the last day with the outcome of the match still hanging in the balance. That means more viewers. On the business side, that allows Barry to charge more for advertising. But if your recent track record shows lower viewer turnout on the final day, over the last few years, the ad dollars that fuel the show become much smaller.

Bringing Asia into the mix, from Barry's business standpoint, is a homerun. Asia has the popular/extensive billiard audience in the world. I know people hate Charlie Williams, but why do you think he's pulled out of the US entirely (except 14.1)? Not because people don't like him, lol. He's in Asia because that's where the ONLY real money is in pool.

Makes a lot of sense business-wise for sure.

We have all been witness to professional pool sinking in the States. It started when the BCA dropped professional pool, I think. Their one tournament a year, BCA Open, was reserved for professionals. It really wasn't an open at all; it was an invitational. And we reserved 50 percent of the field for international players.

The UPA failed. Not sure where to cast blame there, but if it had succeeded, we would have an existing professional tour that cultivates professional caliber of play. Now the regional tours, some of them, have banned so-called pro players from entering their events.

So where does American pool go from here? With no professional tour or governing body that recognizes professional pool, I can't see it getting any better, sad to say.

So what if we produce five American players that are super stars and can win the Mosconi Cup? What does that prove? The professional pool scene needs to be fixed, not just a few players.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad Mr. Hearn has come out and said something publicly... It was badly needed.
Now instead of the USA complaining and bemoaning the situation, perhaps a plan of action will be put in place. :thumbup:

The real danger in years to come is that the USA continue with this silly plight of trying to convince the world that pro pool can exist on a Bar table. If she continues then IMO Europe and Asia will leave her the H£LL alone and play elsewhere.

Makes a lot of sense business-wise for sure.

We have all been witness to professional pool sinking in the States. It started when the BCA dropped professional pool, I think. Their one tournament a year, BCA Open, was reserved for professionals. It really wasn't an open at all; it was an invitational. And we reserved 50 percent of the field for international players.

The UPA failed. Not sure where to cast blame there, but if it had succeeded, we would have an existing professional tour that cultivates professional caliber of play. Now the regional tours, some of them, have banned so-called pro players from entering their events.

So where does American pool go from here? With no professional tour or governing body that recognizes professional pool, I can't see it getting any better, sad to say.

So what if we produce five American players that are super stars and can win the Mosconi Cup? What does that prove? The professional pool scene needs to be fixed, not just a few players.

Sigh.....
Right on all points.

A few years ago, I had a plan. At the last minute, I lost funding support. But part of building a US future in pool MUST focus ENTIRELY on bringing in younger folks.

I haven't disclosed this publicly before, but there were many industry people involved. Through Thorsten, I made contacts with Yalin tables, who agreed to supply tables, shipped to the states, at slightly above cost. The idea was to infiltrate high schools, starting in the Midwest and expanding towards the coasts. This would allow budget minded school districts to have sports teams, without the costs of funding, say a baseball or football team. The costs of equipment alone for those sports are exceptionally high. For the cost of around a $1000 for an extremely high quality table, some cues and balls, teams can be formed, with unlimited practice and competition. Parents wouldn't have to decide if the "atmosphere " was damaging, likenis thought to be in a pool room. Eventually, pool rooms would be forced to cater to these younger, more wholesome crowds.

Ultimately, along with the funding, the red tape that's involved with the education system is problematic. With the right folks involved though, this can be achieved.

This is the ONLY way forward, imho.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigh.....
Right on all points.

A few years ago, I had a plan. At the last minute, I lost funding support. But part of building a US future in pool MUST focus ENTIRELY on bringing in younger folks.

I haven't disclosed this publicly before, but there were many industry people involved. Through Thorsten, I made contacts with Yalin tables, who agreed to supply tables, shipped to the states, at slightly above cost. The idea was to infiltrate high schools, starting in the Midwest and expanding towards the coasts. This would allow budget minded school districts to have sports teams, without the costs of funding, say a baseball or football team. The costs of equipment alone for those sports are exceptionally high. For the cost of around a $1000 for an extremely high quality table, some cues and balls, teams can be formed, with unlimited practice and competition. Parents wouldn't have to decide if the "atmosphere " was damaging, likenis thought to be in a pool room. Eventually, pool rooms would be forced to cater to these younger, more wholesome crowds.

Ultimately, along with the funding, the red tape that's involved with the education system is problematic. With the right folks involved though, this can be achieved.

One thing to bare in mind when trying to get pool into the educational system.
1. The whole of the sport throughout the country has to work 100% for children.
It can't just look good in one City or one State - It has to have a full supporting network throughout the country. Otherwise it's a non-starter...
:thumbup:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to bare in mind when trying to get pool into the educational system.
1. The whole of the sport throughout the country has to work 100% for children.
It can't just look good in one City or one State - It has to have a full supporting network throughout the country. Otherwise it's a non-starter...
:thumbup:

Also you need the parents to be keen.

I think a lot of youth schemes don't have the expected impact because people forget to try and get adults engaged.

If no adults play pool, kids are unlikely to bother too, most people probably get taken to their first [insert chosen sport] game by their dad (or mum) and go from there. If you don't have this then they may play at school, but interest could be very limited and drop away completely when they leave.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Why Is it that Europe being an entire continent, plays the United States which is but one country? Why not make the Moscow cup Team Europe vs. Team North America? Wouldn't that be more of an apples to apples comparison? At that point, you could include Pagulyan, Mora, etc. Just a thought.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Why not bring in 4 teams to play, USA, Asia, Europe and TBA. A playoff for BEST in the World.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Ok...

Neil's, Appleton, Boyes, Ouschan, & Gray

Vs.

Wu Jiaqing, Biado, Orcollo, Ko Pin Yi, Chang Jung Lin.

Anybody like the Euro side?

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigh.....
Right on all points.

If interest caught on at the high school level then pool at the college level would likely pick up and get us closer to being accepted by the olympics...I agree that young blood is required to revive pool!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Hearn is a promoter, first and foremost. He's known as the Snooker Czar. He also promotes dart championships and boxing. Though he must have a passion for pool, obviously, it would not be good business for him to continue a Mosconi Cup that is lopsided.

As NYC stated earlier in the thread, Barry Hearn made mention last year of needing to expand the playing field if America is unable to perform or give a good fight to Team Europe.

Professional pool is broken in America. Working with five pool players all year long and preparing them for Team Europe a year from now sounds great, but it won't fix professional pool. The existing lot of professional players in the United States has shrunk over the years, and it continues to shrink.

On a global scale, although Europe and Asia have a strong contingency of professional pool players, the WPA seems to have one tire in the mud when it comes to advancing professional pool around the world.

I'm not sure what the answer is for America or for pool on an international level. In the end, we are all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool and want it to flourish. Barry Hearn has certainly contributed a lot to this feat, but it isn't cost effective for him to pour money into a sinking ship. Snooker, darts, and boxing are mainstream and doing well. Pool seems to be surviving elsewhere, just not here in the States.