Rattle sound in the cue

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last 6 months I had 2 similar situations with cues that produced a rattle sound when the butt and joint are screwed together. One cue was a Predator 600$ price, another a Fury 125$. Both cues were bought new, from online billiard stores (one from USA, other from Germany)

When you hold the cue in vertical position and slightly hit the cue in the side, to see the vibration of shaft tip, those cues made a funny noise, like something rattle inside them. This sound also persist when you chalk the cue and slightly drop it on the floor.

Anyone have an idea what it can be? Is that a problem in joint? When you hit only shaft or only butt, no sound is produced.

Thank you.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last 6 months I had 2 similar situations with cues that produced a rattle sound when the butt and joint are screwed together. One cue was a Predator 600$ price, another a Fury 125$. Both cues were bought new, from online billiard stores (one from USA, other from Germany)

When you hold the cue in vertical position and slightly hit the cue in the side, to see the vibration of shaft tip, those cues made a funny noise, like something rattle inside them. This sound also persist when you chalk the cue and slightly drop it on the floor.

Anyone have an idea what it can be? Is that a problem in joint? When you hit only shaft or only butt, no sound is produced.

Thank you.

I think you pretty much answered it yourself. My guess is that it is an issue with the ferrule. When the butt is not screwed on, there is insufficient mass to create enough vibrations at the tip end to hear it. When the butt is screwed on, you are able to get the tip end vibrating and hear the problem.

If it was a loose joint pin or some other part of the joint, you often hear the buzz when the cue is NOT screwed together. Once screwed together, the joint is under tension and you would not hear it. If it was a typical weight bolt or A-joint issue, typically, you can hear it in the butt regardless of whether the shaft is screwed on.

<Diagnosis over the internet disclaimer goes here.>

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I would check/tighten the weight bolts first, then if not that.... bring it to a repairman. Haven't seen a predator ferrule 'come loose' yet, so my money is on the weight bolt. You may need the special spanner tool for the predator.
Dave

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I have seen one with a small piece of epoxy that some how came loose just behind the joint pin and was making the rattling sound. It is very aggravating to hear that buzzing sound..

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i was just about to send a cue to the cue maker for a rattle i was sure was in the joint
turned out the screw for the bumper was loose
tightened it and no more rattle
i was sure the sound was coming from around the joint
would have really felt stupid if i sent it out and thats all the cue maker had to do.
check the bumper and as mentioned above the weight bolt

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The weight bolt was checked, everything seems to be ok with him.

Is it possible there are two bolts? I often find a set screw deep in the cue after removing the bolt the bumper fastens to. It could be a second bolt if the obvious bolt was only checked for tightness.

I still think a bolt would be heard if you slightly dropped the butt, without the shaft attached, onto the bumper.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was just about to send a cue to the cue maker for a rattle i was sure was in the joint
turned out the screw for the bumper was loose
tightened it and no more rattle
i was sure the sound was coming from around the joint
would have really felt stupid if i sent it out and thats all the cue maker had to do.
check the bumper and as mentioned above the weight bolt

I had something similar that took me a while to figure out.

The screw for the bumper was tight, but the bumper rubber was ripped horizontally and I didn't see it. The bumper looked to be fine, but when you hit with the cue it made the tear in the bumper "flap or vibrate" when the impact caused the rip to open and close.

Replaced the bumper and everything was good to go.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Is it possible there are two bolts? I often find a set screw deep in the cue after removing the bolt the bumper fastens to. It could be a second bolt if the obvious bolt was only checked for tightness.

I still think a bolt would be heard if you slightly dropped the butt, without the shaft attached, onto the bumper.

I know for a fact that predator uses a stacked weight bolt system, so it is possible for a lower bolt to be buzzing but the top one seems tight. The Fury, not familiar with their weights.
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Thank you.

After re-reading this first post...if the cues are about 6 months old each, return them to where purchased, and let them figure it out. They should just replace them, and everyone is happy. Predator has a lifetime warrantee, don't know about fury....but most have at least a year
Dave

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Fury rattle sound was caused by weight bolt. We put some teflon tape on screw and tight it real good, so no more strange sound, we can say we fix it.