Another collet question

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did some of the research to see what questions have been brought up in the past along with the answers. I am currently waiting on a lathe and of course it is not going to have any collets especially for cue work , I read the one thread where BarrenBurge cues had some mystery sauce type collets, but I didn't see where he turned the info loose on the material. So here is my question who has the most reasonably priced Delrin collets on the market to get started with? I have a bunch of oh shall we say cheap Chinese cues here to practice with on doing tips and other practice work to get me back up to speed. I would like them to be able to be assured that they are Delrin and not some mystery plastic although it wouldn't matter on the cheap ques but I will eventually be working on my own, so please give me some good ideas, and if you don't want anyone getting butt hurt due to recommending a maker then pleas shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just chiming in with the others, make your own, it's easy and a great way to learn basic machining. I usually buy rods 3 metre at the time in 20mm, 30mm and 40mm diameters.
Turn your collets to size, remove sharp edges with a 45 degree tool bit. Measure the O.D, divide by two and bandsaw the collet on one side or cut it in two pieces if you prefer that design.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in the long run that is my goal however being retired money starts to get stretched if you know what I mean so I thought about just buying a few to get me going, as it I may have to do some mods to the lathe to ensure a firm rock solid tool holder and slide, I have read a few post where the particular model needs the carriage mods to be done and then the quick connect tool post and all the cutters and boring bars etcetera so I was just thinking like I mention just to do a few things, plus I still need to pay my entry fee to the derby so only so little money and so many projects!

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I bought my collets from a guy on eBay. He will make any size you want... I usually use a cue protector strip from Langley..

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did some of the research to see what questions have been brought up in the past along with the answers. I am currently waiting on a lathe and of course it is not going to have any collets especially for cue work , I read the one thread where BarrenBurge cues had some mystery sauce type collets, but I didn't see where he turned the info loose on the material. So here is my question who has the most reasonably priced Delrin collets on the market to get started with? I have a bunch of oh shall we say cheap Chinese cues here to practice with on doing tips and other practice work to get me back up to speed. I would like them to be able to be assured that they are Delrin and not some mystery plastic although it wouldn't matter on the cheap ques but I will eventually be working on my own, so please give me some good ideas, and if you don't want anyone getting butt hurt due to recommending a maker then pleas shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Let us know when you get the Lathe. If you have room in the shop, place the lathe away from the wall so you can get behind it.

Use a strong enough power chord.

Level it with a machinist level.

COLLETS? You didn't specify shaft collets or collets to hold the cue. Shaft collets are very inexpensive to buy, buy them. Collets to hold the cue can be a different story.

Get your lathe up to speed and if you can get it as accurate as this, I will tell you how too make collets like the one you see in the video inside the 6 jaw chuck. Please note that I have a perfect runout from inside the collet.

Use the following video as a simple guide of what to check on your lathe for runout. There are some fantastic minds in here to add to this so please add to it, Thanks.

https://youtu.be/VBThrRTxDO8

Last edited:

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video one of the things I bought several months ago when I was installing my pool table was a good high dollar machinist level.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
While pre-made collets may work well in some cases,there is no guarantee they will work 100% unless they are made on a dead-nuts fixture,due to variance on what chuck the end user will be using,etc.

The best way to go is to make them on the machine you will be using them on,so they will be on the money every time. Collets that were made on a full sized,well tuned machine lathe might not work so well in a Taig or mini lathe chuck,etc. Tommy D.