Question about Meucci

wineslob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't posted on the forums in quite awhile. Long story short, I lost my home in the Camp Fire. This included my pool table, and assorted cues, one of which was a Meucci Originals HOF 6 that I bought used in the early 90's.I loved that cue, and I'd like to replace it with another Meucci, a B&M 6.

Thoughts on the quality of todays Meucci's and NOT the re-pop "originals".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't posted on the forums in quite awhile. Long story short, I lost my home in the Camp Fire. This included my pool table, and assorted cues, one of which was a Meucci Originals HOF 6 that I bought used in the early 90's.I loved that cue, and I'd like to replace it with another Meucci, a B&M 6.

Quality is still iffy. I've seen them from perfect to firewood. The Pro series cues/shafts play really good. If you decide on a new Meucci go with one with little/no inlays. That tends to be the problem as most of the problem cues i've seen have "popped" inlay work. I'd get the basic 4pt. Meucci Pro series cue. http://meuccicues.com/bmc-pro-series-3-butt.html You can usually find them on Ebay for decent price. Or this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meucci-BMC...AAOSwJ6Nb~HHq:rk:6:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Last edited:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So sorry to hear about your home. Good luck with everything. Anyway, the Meucci's I've played with I haven't liked but would never have bought one regardless due to all the negative comments on this site. I did a lot of research using this site when I first stared playing a while back and bought some cues based on consensus among the participants here. I agree with garczar based on what I've read and a couple guys locally here in Charleston some of whom play with Meuccis. You can get a cue you'll love or you can get junk, and their customer service can be great or terrible. Hearing stuff like that was enough to keep me away from them even if I had enjoyed their cues I had tried. Buyer beware, but that said best wishes to you and hope you find a keeper.

wineslob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. One more question, when you say the inlays "pop" is this shortly after getting the cue or within a few years. My old cue was beginning to get slightly raised inlays, but it took 20 years.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. One more question, when you say the inlays "pop" is this shortly after getting the cue or within a few years. My old cue was beginning to get slightly raised inlays, but it took 20 years.
That's common on 20yr old Meuccis. I've seen it happen way too quickly on some newer ones.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci quality is hit or miss.
I might take a gamble on one for a couple hundred.
But if you are in the $500 to $700 no way.

Your money would be better spent on a Schon,Pechauer or Mezz.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TOTALLY agree. Mezz's sub-$500 cues are unreal cues. I've got a AXI-K and its is WAY nicer than stuff coming out of even Schon's shop these days.

Last edited:

wineslob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the advice here and bought a Mezz ZZ34. Beautiful cue, not too much "bling" and from the testimonials probably feels much like a late 70's Adams I had. Which, btw, I shot better with. While I "loved" the Mooch, it did have a noodle for a shaft.

TY for the input!

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your new cue.

Regarding Meucci: I recently purchased a new 4 point Meucci with the Pro Shaft. The shaft is very light, with a nice leather tip, similar to a Kamui Black; I believe? The cue weighs 19 ounces, and plays like butter.

I then went to Meucci Family Billiards, and toured their Factory. It was pretty cool.

As long as my Meucci keeps hitting on all cylinders, I'm happy.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite the many negative things I've read on here about his newer/more recent cues, I decided to give one a try. I now have 2 Meucci cues and absolutely LOVE them both. He has some pretty interesting designs and colors that I don't see anywhere else...might be a bit polarizing to some.

This was the first Meucci I purchased, as I wanted to try his Pro shaft 12.5mm at the lowest price...it blew me away with how it played. And I love the wrapless feel in grip hand with the look of spec'd Irish linen (hopefully this clear coat holds up well over time).
https://www.seyberts.com/meucci-jayson-shaw-jss-cue

Have this w/ the Ultimate Weapon shaft 11.65mm. Out of any cue I own, this has the smoothest/most accurate joint diameter--run your fingers up and down and it feels like a ine-piece cue...can't feel any lip at all (which I can't even say that about my 2 Schons and 3 Mezz cues). To be fair and on the flip side, the 4 points are not the same length--doesn't affect play, but makes me wonder.
https://www.seyberts.com/meucci-swbb2-barbox-cue

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Just get a Mezz and be done. There isn't a better mass produced cue available.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

That may be true but if you like the meucci hit, those wont fill the bill.
I just like the way the black dot shaft hits

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I been searching the forums this afternoon trying to find some pictures of Meucci cues with "popped" points or inlays, it's mentioned pretty frequently but I have never saw a picture of the popped stuff, can someone actually post a few pics?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I been searching the forums this afternoon trying to find some pictures of Meucci cues with "popped" points or inlays, it's mentioned pretty frequently but I have never saw a picture of the popped stuff, can someone actually post a few pics?

Keep searching. There's a reason the internet has a suspected reputation and this site is full of parrots. It's the AZB version of the proverbial fish story. It just grows and grows. "I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard from a guy...." Did a Meucci ever have a point or an inlay pop out? Yeah, I suspect it has happened...once or twice. I have had defects with other cues in the past. But I don't bad mouth the brand because of a single experience.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep searching. There's a reason the internet has a suspected reputation and this site is full of parrots. It's the AZB version of the proverbial fish story. It just grows and grows. "I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard from a guy...." Did a Meucci ever have a point or an inlay pop out? Yeah, I suspect it has happened...once or twice. I have had defects with other cues in the past. But I don't bad mouth the brand because of a single experience.

Went through a ton of meucci threads today, no shortage of people in countless threads talking about "popped points and inlays", sometimes the same people in different threads. Still haven't seen a pic of a single cue, figured there would be hundreds of examples floating around.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a meucci where it "popped" on the ring about 2 threads into the wrap. It's completely sealed over, or it should be. But it's not smooth on that one spot and that does register in my head sometimes when I'm in my pre-shot routine and I happen to feel it. I've only ever played with wrap-less cues since 2007 so I notice it.

It is at the skinny end of the wrap. It's completely seamless on the butt where the wrap ends (normal) but you can definitely feel the connection where I described it popped on the skinny end. Because it's on the wrap it is a little hard to see and photograph but I'll see what I can do about pics.

It was not there when I purchased it... this happened over the course of play. I played 3-6 days a week with it for about 6 months - not sure when this happened.

What was there when I purchased it was an area on the butt where there are blue inlay designs (BMC-Pro series 1, which I love the simplicity of the look), and one of the designs is not completely covered/sealed in one spot.

Nothing I described affects the play. I love my meucci. I won a lot of games with it.

My best playing shaft is a Meucci ultimate weapon pro that I had to send back because 1. It had milling marks on it near the joint that were never properly finished and 2. I believe it was tapped for a Meucci 3/8 x 10 which is not as deep as say an OB or a McDermott - although it was specified in the order that the cue it was for was for an OB 3/8x10 joint.

After sending the shaft back and getting it cleaned up and tapped deeper for the OB pin, I can't complain. OB butt to Meucci shaft joint diameter was spot on.

I actually loved the shaft so much I bought the BMC-Pro series 1 I spoke about above, specifically with a 3/8x10 pin so I can use the shaft on it too. This is probably my best playing combo if I'm honest... but I've found I love the McDermott fit//finish and the H-series let's me put the balance point where I like it.

Next purchase: Meucci Carbon Pro ordered to fit the McDermott butt.

Am I a glutton for punishment? Yes. But I do believe the old man Bob knows his stuff when it comes to shafts. I guess I drank the kool-aid based on my own playing experience.

It is true IMHO Quality Control should be better. OB was worse in my multiple experiences. Pechauer & McDermott fit/finish and QC both get A+

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Your money would be better spent on a Schon, Pechauer or Mezz.

Yep......:cool: /\

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci Today still has some quality control issues but Bob Meucci has came back to the fold to try to improve things. He turned over the Co to his Daughter and it really tanked when she took over. The lady that answers the phone there is a piece of work to. My Son bought a BMC 4 that was bought from Bob at the Derby City Classic. The shaft that came with it did not have Pro wrote on it and the ferrule was longer. She replied '' Does it play good " , I replied yes very good , she replies " We'll I would not B****H about it then" , I found out thru one of the mangers there that the 1st set of Pro shafts did not have the logo on them and the short ferrule, They came a little later, Meucci was big in our area and I have had several models back when I played years ago. Now , today if you want to order one get the BMC series that has Bob's signature on them with the Pro Shaft . You can do not wrong and will have a hard time finding a better cue. They are bomb to say the least and Hit awesome.