My amazing full spliced player

SpotOn

Registered
So is there a link you can post as to how to go about making a cue butt and joint out of carbon fiber. I am in the process of having a new cue made and I had the idea of using carbon fiber in these two areas but my cue maker knows nothing about carbon fiber or how to make these two parts for my cue of these this material which I assume is carbon over wood?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is there a link you can post as to how to go about making a cue butt and joint out of carbon fiber. I am in the process of having a new cue made and I had the idea of using carbon fiber in these two areas but my cue maker knows nothing about carbon fiber or how to make these two parts for my cue of these this material which I assume is carbon over wood?

Are you asking only about the joint being made out of carbon fiber or the whole cue butt out of carbon fiber?
For my needs I made some short solid carbon fiber tubes in diameters for joint and butt cap with the thickness of the wall at least 4mm.
The easier way to go is to take some phenolic rods with needed diameters and just put some layers of carbon fiber with a weaving you like. There are some nitty gritty details in the process...you have to know exactly diameter of the finished product and how many layers to put to get the finished layer look good and not being touched and ruined when turned down and sanded. Believe me you'll find out enough nitty gritty details to think about. You better google and search for possibilities to buy finished carbon fiber tubes 3K twill lets say in diameter which suits your needs.
When it comes to the butt being made out of carbon fiber...if it is just the look of carbon fiber you like or because of the properties of this material... Well to be short when it comes to building the cue butt...I'm oldschool here when it comes to materials. As I already mentioned I've already collected some rare, unique and beautiful exotic woods to work with and my major concerns are constuction, design and such. If I ever want the butt made out of carbon fiber I would rather order from the Becue. To be honest I don't see myself building the butts out of cf. I love the feel, touch and look of the wood).
When it comes to the shafts it may be another story one day;)

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If trying to see some good things about this current times with this damn Covid-19...well I was able to see at least one and that was some free time appeared to spend on the things I had on my mind but just did not have time before this quarantine was announced.
So finally I was able to give some time to my lovely player in order to make it better for my eye, taste and feel using some new experience and knowledge I got since it was built.
Once I saw one supplier offering carbon fiber blanks with the properties that suited my needs. The main idea was to lower the weight and change the balance making it at least less forward balanced.
Till I got my cf blanks I've ordered I started the work changing certain things on the butt. So first of all I've changed that titanium unilock pin to G10 3/8-10 pin, got rid of carbon fiber rings putting a black water buffalo horn ring at the joint also making some changes when it comes to the design here and there.
Some work filling that hole at the butt end with the foam I've ordered for the future shafts.
And finally got rid of the previous finish and made a new satin finish I'm using now with a procedure I've found after all those attempts and trials. Now I'm pretty happy with the results when it comes to the feeling on touch plus the look (not so glossy which is not my cup of tea when it comes to my playing cue especially if using it with that black matte shaft).
So after all of the work done ...after getting those cf blanks and building the shaft which weighs 95 gramms (30 gramms less than my maple one) now I have a playing cue which weighs 19,5 oz instead of almost 21 oz with a better balance.
Now I'm pretty much satisfied with the results and all I need... just more table time to have fun;).

Attachments

• rps20200717_222450.jpg
    rps20200717_222450.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 91
  • rps20200717_222333.jpg
    rps20200717_222333.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 98
  • rps20200717_221923.jpg
    rps20200717_221923.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi