Does Winning (and Playing) Like He Did Make SVB A Future MC Monster?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Neither are golf, wrestling, or tennis, yet college programs in each are thriving and beneficial.

Has no bearing on my opinion. I do not feel any of those sports are team-oriented. Regardless of how well they fare in any given format.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw an interview where that question was asked and Shane put it at the top of his list in his career so far.

i believe he also said until the world championship next week :groucho:

i suspect he will go deep. i don't like the host nation or the state of the WC one bit, but the top asians and euros usually go there, so it will be hard fought for sure.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane's play was all over the place at this MC but overall he did a good job and how he won the final game was pretty spectacular.

I'm wondering, could this victory and the improvement in his overall play get him past the MC curse he seemed to have on himself?

Can this be the spark he needed to make him a future Mosconi Cup monster?

best,
brian kc

I think for the first time in a long while, Shane enjoyed this experience because of the team unity. Other teams, everybody seemed to go their own way and treated the Cup like it was a free meal ticket and a vacation. Well, this year was quite difference. The players were hungry for this win, and by golly, they got it!

Yippeeeeee! :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw an interview where that question was asked and Shane put it at the top of his list in his career so far.

They asked him that right after they won, right after he shot that winning 1-9-combo, right after the weight of these 4 days dropped off his shoulders... of course he's gonna say that.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly why leagues make no sense to me. Pool is not a team sport. Never was, never will be, imho.
Agreed. I also play in a league here in Holland, and I like the competition part of it but I don't care for all the "come ooonnnn!!"-'s of my team mates. I AM coming on. I'm coming on as hard as I can. Leave me alone.

Having said that, I think in Shane's case that used to be true in past years but I suspect Johan has given him (and the whole team) a few pointers that helped them to see this team play in a different light. Made it work for them.
Like JJ said: "they re-discovered the fun in playing."

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM and I often agree and often disagree.

IMO, the greatest player is the player that wins the Derby City Classic All-Around Champion. (Efren has won numerous times)

JAM thinks the greatest title is the winner of the US Open. I have to admit that the US Open is a great win, but to me, it is still second behind winning the All-Around. (Earl and Shane has won numerous times)

Winning the Mosconi Cup, IMO is far behind both of these.

JMO,

Ken

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM and I often agree and often disagree.

IMO, the greatest player is the player that wins the Derby City Classic All-Around Champion. (Efren has won numerous times)

JAM thinks the greatest title is the winner of the US Open. I have to admit that the US Open is a great win, but to me, it is still second behind winning the All-Around. (Earl and Shane has won numerous times)

Winning the Mosconi Cup, IMO is far behind both of these.

JMO,

Ken
Alex P would be greatest then, I think.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly why leagues make no sense to me. Pool is not a team sport. Never was, never will be, imho.
Even for players who really enjoy serious individual tournament play, there is something about team play - particularly scotch doubles matches when all 4 players are of similar skill level, that is rewarding unlike any individual competition.

When you can team up with another player whom you respect their game, and the two of you can successfully think as one in playing as strong or sometimes even stronger than either of you might play individually, is an awesome feeling to be able to share that accomplishment with someone else. Of course, when one of you screws up, it's even worse than doing so in an individual event, and that's the risk that makes team play so challenging. That is the idea and the potential challenge / reward of the team concept in any sport.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Agreed. I also play in a league here in Holland, and I like the competition part of it but I don't care for all the "come ooonnnn!!"-'s of my team mates. I AM coming on. I'm coming on as hard as I can. Leave me alone.

Having said that, I think in Shane's case that used to be true in past years but I suspect Johan has given him (and the whole team) a few pointers that helped them to see this team play in a different light. Made it work for them.
Like JJ said: "they re-discovered the fun in playing."

And, in turn, I completely agree. I think Jam hit the nail squarely on the head a few posts back. I think a lot of the players had become complacent, looking at it as she said, a vacation. And, yeah, easy for us to say as we're sitting here, sweating the matches. I'm sure every one of the players on those losing teams would take issue with that. But there did seem something a bit different in this one. Perhaps just due to them winning this time and therefore our perceptions are a bit different. But it was there, as I think most of us noticed.

I believe in the old saying "In for a penny, in for a pound." So, even though I believe pool is not a team sport for many reasons, I also believe if you're going to put a team together, regardless of the sport, then shoot for the stars. Don't limit yourself by dwelling on the reasons why it may not *be* a team sport and come together, not as individual components but as ONE UNIT. I really do think that is one of the main differences between winning and losing as a team, regardless of the sport. And I think, this year, we did that. At least more so than in other recent years.

All said, for me? I have no interest in anyone "rooting" for me when I run out. Or telling me "You'll get 'em next time." when I dog a straight in shot. As far as pool goes, I believe it's very much a microcosm of life: you come in by yourself, you go out by yourself.

It ain't rocket science... :yeah:

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget about comparing this to common pool tournaments. You can't. Enjoy this for what it is, an exciting pool event. It proves nothing except who may play better under extreme pressure. Any one of these guys could beat any one of these guys on any given day. I enjoy watching great pool being played with this format once a year and am happy for our guys when they play well

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Even for players who really enjoy serious individual tournament play, there is something about team play - particularly scotch doubles matches when all 4 players are of similar skill level, that is rewarding unlike any individual competition.

When you can team up with another player whom you respect their game, and the two of you can successfully think as one in playing as strong or sometimes even stronger than either of you might play individually, is an awesome feeling to be able to share that accomplishment with someone else. Of course, when one of you screws up, it's even worse than doing so in an individual event, and that's the risk that makes team play so challenging. That is the idea and the potential challenge / reward of the team concept in any sport.

Chris - As always, your thinking is sharp, observant, well-reasoned.

All that said? I don't think there is any place in pool for teams. Period. To me, pool is an individual competition, a life and death struggle between two primal predators... and my plan is to have you for lunch ( or as Earl says, to rip out your liver, look at it, decide I might not be quite *that* hungry... and then make YOU eat it! ). :grin-square: