burnishing a new tip

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just had a new Kamui tip installed and it's already mushrooming. How do you guys burnishing the tip? I've seen guys spin the tip on a formica table sides but I don't have any formica in the house. Maybe I need to buy a piece of old furniture to do it???

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought people don’t burnish the sides of layered tips but instead seal a coat of CA to the side applied from paper towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I thought you were supposed to spit on your finger and do it while it's chucked up spinning.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought people don’t burnish the sides of layered tips but instead seal a coat of CA to the side applied from paper towel.

What is CA?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Good ole spit or water.
But, it has to be spinning fast on a lathe.
If you have no lathe, you can apply a leather dye with a q tip carefully.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is CA?

Cyanoacrylate glue like Loctite, same stuff commonly used to glue the tip on.

I’m not an expert so I’m awaiting a second opinion. My understanding is that standard burnishing techniques on a layered tip can risk compromising the bond between the layers.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I've always wet them with spit then buff with a folded up dollar bill (lengthways), kinda like buffing a shoe. I think I got the idea from an old Steve Mizerack book. Of course he said it worked better with a c-note...

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I used to burnish, now I just shave off the mushroom with the porper grazer and leave it be.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://store.kozoom.com/en/hanbat-houten-pomerans-polijster.html

This works really well. I got a few to give away when I first saw them a couple of years ago at the 3C World Championship in Bordeaux. The bad news is that shipping from Europe is very expensive for a single, low cost item. The good news is that if you're handy, or a friend is, they are absurdly easy to make.

There are actually 2 different versions. One is like the picture, where the burnishing surface is curved. In the other version the burnishing surface is a semi-square shaped slot. I've used both and prefer the latter.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Imo, its better to learn to trim the mushroom off, cause even a well burnished tip mushrooms.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you install a soft,especially,and even a medium layered tip( kamuii,etc...) the tip will look perfect but after "x" amount of balls hit 50-300, the tip is gonna mushroom some,the softer the tip,the more it compresses and mushrooms. If you can,have a tip installed somewhere you can play or hit balls for an hour or so(hit full table shots and try spinning the cue in your hand preshot to compress equally.it will mushroom some and you want to go ahead and GET IT RESHAPED oN THE LATHE..and have the guy burnish it at the same time( they use various liquids, shoe polish,glue, SPIT, etc.. To burnish while spinning on the lathe. The reshaping after playing an hour or so USUALLY will shape tip back to perfect,and it will stay put because you compressed it for an hour.it will stay put after this. You may have to do it one more time if using a soft or super soft. A hard ord some mediums will not even need the first reshaping because it is mostly compressed to start with. Most repairmen won,t charge you if they sold/ installed your tip,but EVEN if they do,I absolutely think having a perfectly shaped trimmed tip is the most important thing when it comes to playing pool( to me anyway) i have a new tip installed i cut it down some,play for an hour or so, have it put back on the lathe,reshaped,then CUT DOWN to exactly where i like to play my tips( slightly lower than halfway,about the thickness of a nickel) burnished and painted black or dark brown with a sharpie. 98 percent of the time,it will stay right there for the life of the tip. If it glazes up a little, i will have one layer trimmed down,usually after 6 months or so,and if it does it again ,time to replace tip again. I personally like most all layered tips,everyone has there preference, I personally like REAL( do your homework on fakes) mooris. They seem to last and cut and shape better,to me,than the rest. And yes i,ve tried zans,kamuii,ultra skins,etc...,etc...moori's are my favorite,but i am gonna try a navigator.if its not any better,i am gonna play mooris for life and quit wasting time trying different tips. It's hard to imagine something playing better,to me, than medium mooris.sorry for the run on lol...

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
If you install a soft,especially,and even a medium layered tip( kamuii,etc...) the tip will look perfect but after "x" amount of balls hit 50-300, the tip is gonna mushroom some,the softer the tip,the more it compresses and mushrooms. If you can,have a tip installed somewhere you can play or hit balls for an hour or so(hit full table shots and try spinning the cue in your hand preshot to compress equally.it will mushroom some and you want to go ahead and GET IT RESHAPED oN THE LATHE..and have the guy burnish it at the same time( they use various liquids, shoe polish,glue, SPIT, etc.. To burnish while spinning on the lathe. The reshaping after playing an hour or so USUALLY will shape tip back to perfect,and it will stay put because you compressed it for an hour.it will stay put after this. You may have to do it one more time if using a soft or super soft. A hard ord some mediums will not even need the first reshaping because it is mostly compressed to start with. Most repairmen won,t charge you if they sold/ installed your tip,but EVEN if they do,I absolutely think having a perfectly shaped trimmed tip is the most important thing when it comes to playing pool( to me anyway) i have a new tip installed i cut it down some,play for an hour or so, have it put back on the lathe,reshaped,then CUT DOWN to exactly where i like to play my tips( slightly lower than halfway,about the thickness of a nickel) burnished and painted black or dark brown with a sharpie. 98 percent of the time,it will stay right there for the life of the tip. If it glazes up a little, i will have one layer trimmed down,usually after 6 months or so,and if it does it again ,time to replace tip again. I personally like most all layered tips,everyone has there preference, I personally like REAL( do your homework on fakes) mooris. They seem to last and cut and shape better,to me,than the rest. And yes i,ve tried zans,kamuii,ultra skins,etc...,etc...moori's are my favorite,but i am gonna try a navigator.if its not any better,i am gonna play mooris for life and quit wasting time trying different tips. It's hard to imagine something playing better,to me, than medium mooris.sorry for the run on lol...

Excellent. Thanks

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I swear, one of these days, I'm going to use the hammer drill to break-in tips.
Glue them to a rod. Bounce them on concrete with the hammer drill till they mushroom to 15MM or more.
Remove , and store away for installation.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swear, one of these days, I'm going to use the hammer drill to break-in tips.
Glue them to a rod. Bounce them on concrete with the hammer drill till they mushroom to 15MM or more.
Remove , and store away for installation.

Why not use a tip press? Is there an advantage to this type of compression?