Has the Secret to Pool been Cast "In the Shadows???"

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you know that many great players use the SHADOW of the Object Ball? These are commonly known as "Shadow Targets" and they can open up your eyes to something that you may have missed (or has caused you to miss) all these years.

There are three basic "Shadow Targets,"
th

1) Where the shadow connects to the object ball (cast or cone shadow)

2) The center of the cast shadow (this will lean towards the "contact side") on the table cast by the Object Ball

3) The edge of the Object Ball shadow (on the side opposite the intended pocket) - this is also cast on the table by the O.B.

One key element is how a player learns to calibrate the shot angle {to a feeling} generated by seeing a certain connection between the Cue Ball AND the Object Ball (or the Object Ball's Shadow).....a "Connection System" if you will.

This is why ball pocketing systems will work, and ONLY if the angles are calibrated in some way/shape/form to "how your eyes see the correlation between the two balls forming the correct angle" - we all can do this in our own unique process.

There's more than one way, and using the shadow of the Object Ball is certainly one of them (you can also use the light on the object ball) and it works well as a "check and balance" with my "Ultimate Aiming System" (shown in the 'Ultimate Pool Secrets' video) - "Ferrule Aiming," "Center to Edge" or a variety of others you're familiar with.

It's long been known that it's wise to have a "check and balance," or "another witness," to verify any situation and pool's (ball pocketing) no different. That's why I recommend using (and learning) more than one way to Pocket Object Balls so your confidence gets fed a nutritious "well balanced meal" so you taste "sweet victory," instead of "bitter defeat". - FOOD FOR THOUGHT

"In Pocket Billiards Doubt Follows Confidence Like a Shadow" - CJ Wiley www.cjwiley.com

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
In pocket billiards doubt will lead to numerous trips to the ATM

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Playing at the higher levels I would think double and triple checks come into play anytime you are faced with something that is not standard fare..... I use CTE, SEE system, Fractional, Spot on the table, and anything I can think of when I am playing full speed and a ball rolls soemwhere tthat doesn't fit the ROTE system in my head.....

Have not purchased the ultimate aiming DVD yet but I will this week just to check it out... No point in treating everything like a nail if you can have more than a hammer in your tool box.....

Chris

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
How can this be a system if shadows are not usually cast the same on every table? And in MOST cases, the balls are very well, and very EVENLY lit (except for balls that are near the extremes of the table - near the corner pockets). Your diagram shows a ball that is lit from about a 1:00 to a 2:00 position, when they are always lit from a 12:00 position (directly above the table, not at an angle).

On top of that, you also have light that is coming from other parts of the room, especially in a pool hall/bar. I can understand this system working if dramatic shadows are cast on the balls and table, and the only time that would happen is if the rest of the room was dark, and the only light source was the pool table light - which was at an angle to the table instead of directly above it.

Am I missing something? Please explain how this works, I'm sure I'm not understanding you correctly.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can this be a system if shadows are not usually cast the same on every table? And in MOST cases, the balls are very well, and very EVENLY lit (except for balls that are near the extremes of the table - near the corner pockets). Your diagram shows a ball that is lit from about a 1:00 to a 2:00 position, when they are always lit from a 12:00 position (directly above the table, not at an angle).

On top of that, you also have light that is coming from other parts of the room, especially in a pool hall/bar. I can understand this system working if dramatic shadows are cast on the balls and table, and the only time that would happen is if the rest of the room was dark, and the only light source was the pool table light - which was at an angle to the table instead of directly above it.

Am I missing something? Please explain how this works, I'm sure I'm not understanding you correctly.

I thought about that too. I can see where you can use shadows and bright spots as aim points....no matter what the source is. If you are on a bar box and the balls are really dull, this might be tougher.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing at the higher levels I would think double and triple checks come into play anytime you are faced with something that is not standard fare..... I use CTE, SEE system, Fractional, Spot on the table, and anything I can think of when I am playing full speed and a ball rolls soemwhere tthat doesn't fit the ROTE system in my head.....

Have not purchased the ultimate aiming DVD yet but I will this week just to check it out... No point in treating everything like a nail if you can have more than a hammer in your tool box.....

Chris

Chris where is the Ultimate Aiming DVD available?

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
isnt there an aiming conversations forum for this type of threads?

btw: you are describing the "See system".....

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post, everything depends on table lights, all this is known for years now, along with aiming to OB light reflection when 3 light system is used, as long as it's placed right over the table.
Shadows can be used more in carom games, where aiming goals "restrict" to ball number 2.
In Pool, mainly when one wants to play safe off a fine thin cut.
Petros

Last edited:

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The SEE system uses the shadow for aiming. Its the one on the bottom of the ball when it contacts the table. Its always there...I thought it had to do with lighting also but every table has it. I was given the course to try it out and I did. Its pretty good but gets real complicated real quick so I didn't stick with it.

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
no shadows for me

I have the new LED light and my shadows are not there like this example. damn hi tech light.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so preceding CJ's advice, Kinister mentions how your eyes need 40 min or so to adjust from outside daylight to a dimly lit room (lots of gold tidbits in his stuff)

Yoda4962

North Texas
Silver Member
I agree with learning as many as possible….

…then you will find that most are pure bunk.!

Find something concrete and objective, and stay away from the subjective systems.

Or…,

do what most pros do, …. don't aim at all !

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always look forward to the latest CJ post- gets my mind working and focused. I'll be looking for shadows tonight on the table.