Reload this Page Opinions on characteristics of different butt woods/materials
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Opinions on characteristics of different butt woods/materials
Old
  (#1)
Hoser
AzB Bronze Member
Hoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Opinions on characteristics of different butt woods/materials - 10-25-2019, 09:54 AM

I understand the many variables in cue characteristics such as shaft, pin, joint material. My curiosity is what opinions are on how different woods in the in the rest of the cue affect the feel. A few years back, I bought my son a Paul Dayton Sneaky with a purpleheart butt. It has the closest feel to my cousin's Kersenbrock of any other cue I've hit.Other than the other obvious variables, I have wondered what the purpleheart may be contributing to the nice feel. I realize feel is subjective but am curios what other have noticed or prefer from that end of the cue.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Cues: Player: Gulyassy
Semi Retired: Mcdermott D-19 with Paul Dayton shaft

Old
  (#2)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I understand the many variables in cue characteristics such as shaft, pin, joint material. My curiosity is what opinions are on how different woods in the in the rest of the cue affect the feel. A few years back, I bought my son a Paul Dayton Sneaky with a purpleheart butt. It has the closest feel to my cousin's Kersenbrock of any other cue I've hit.Other than the other obvious variables, I have wondered what the purpleheart may be contributing to the nice feel. I realize feel is subjective but am curios what other have noticed or prefer from that end of the cue.
I've had cues in all kinds of woods, solid and cored, that played great. I'm not in the "this wood plays better" camp. Too many other things(taper, shaft, ferrule, tip,etc) that can affect a cue.

Old
  (#3)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 11:46 AM

I dunno for sure, but seems to me that different woods, each with it's own unique cell structure would impart a individual feel. Doubtful many would be able to tell the difference, however.

Old
  (#4)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Aren't all the best cues cored with maple anyway, these days?

Old
  (#5)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 01:12 PM

Worrying about what type of wood is IMO, far less important than how much the wood weighs.

In the end, the balance and weight and the ratio of shaft to butt weight is the only things that matter outside of tip/ferrule.

The shaft/butt balance is what makes the "stroke" all it can be. The tip/ferrule is what makes the "feel" people like.

Together, the balance/weight ratios coupled with tip/ferrule is were the rubber meets the road.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#6)
Duane Remick
AzB Silver Member

Duane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-25-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Aren't all the best cues cored with maple anyway, these days?
A lot of cue makers core their cues-
A lot of different woods too....
I know I had A RAT Cue maple forearm. with purple heart core
Some , like Schon cues,
core their cues with a predator type laminated butt blank- 1 piece front joint to the but cap- and forearm and butt sleeve installed onto that 1 piece core material.
Mike Capone used to also use Purple heart ,
now I think Mike also uses the laminated wood for coring.
Eddie Cohen uses a darker wood for coring-Not sure what wood-something very tight grained and stable"

Duane Remick

Old
  (#7)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 01:24 PM

The tip , the ferrule, the shaft taper, the joint material and construction, the overall weight and balance of the cue when screwed together is really 99% of a cue’s playability/feel/ “hit” - I doubt the type of wood used has much affect on how a cue plays- wood is wood.

Old
  (#8)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 01:26 PM

Analysis paralysis

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#9)
HQueen
AzB Silver Member
HQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 07:44 PM

A good friend of mine, a top player in my area changed to the Revo a few years ago. Recently he told me he used to think the hit of a cue was 95% in the shaft, tip and ferrule. After trying several different butts on his Revo he now is convinced it’s the other way around, the hit is mostly due to the butt.
A conversation with Mike Lambros yielded the same conclusion. He explained about coring cues, different woods, etc.
just throwing this out there. YMMV.

Old
  (#10)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

10-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Purpleheart bottom/points-handle accentuated the tone of the maple front .

Old
  (#11)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQueen View Post
After trying several different butts on his Revo he now is convinced itís the other way around, the hit is mostly due to the butt.
I have tried the REVO, the Cuetec carbon shaft, and the Mezz carbon shaft and I own a Meucci Pro carbon shaft and a complete Becue (carbon shafts and carbon butt).

NONE of the carbon fiber shafts on wooden butts feel as SOLID in the hit as my Becue carbon shaft on the Becue carbon butt.

I'm not going to argue which shaft plays better, but there is a NOTICEABLE difference in feel and hit when both shaft and butt are made of carbon fiber.

Old
  (#12)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQueen View Post
A good friend of mine, a top player in my area changed to the Revo a few years ago. Recently he told me he used to think the hit of a cue was 95% in the shaft, tip and ferrule. After trying several different butts on his Revo he now is convinced itís the other way around, the hit is mostly due to the butt.
A conversation with Mike Lambros yielded the same conclusion. He explained about coring cues, different woods, etc.
just throwing this out there. YMMV.
My late mentor had a few experiments in improving the hit of birdseye maple cue. He settled on threading a much different wood by joint. Only about 3 inches long. It hits way differently than a plane maple cue.

Old
  (#13)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

10-25-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I have tried the REVO, the Cuetec carbon shaft, and the Mezz carbon shaft and I own a Meucci Pro carbon shaft and a complete Becue (carbon shafts and carbon butt).

NONE of the carbon fiber shafts on wooden butts feel as SOLID in the hit as my Becue carbon shaft on the Becue carbon butt.

I'm not going to argue which shaft plays better, but there is a NOTICEABLE difference in feel and hit when both shaft and butt are made of carbon fiber.
Maybe we should drill wood end to end then fill it with plugs,foam and weight bolts.

Old
  (#14)
Hoser
AzB Bronze Member
Hoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Purpleheart bottom/points-handle accentuated the tone of the maple front .
Yes, that is what I was trying to define. The resonant feedback and sound of the hit is so different from other cues. BTW I had spare shafts for all my cues made by Paul with the same taper and ferrule. As I said I in the OP I understand the importance of all the other variables but was curious why the tone was so different. I also question how much no wrap my be affecting the feedback in my right hand.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Cues: Player: Gulyassy
Semi Retired: Mcdermott D-19 with Paul Dayton shaft

Old
  (#15)
Hoser
AzB Bronze Member

10-26-2019, 08:20 AM

..sorry double post

Last edited by Hoser; 10-26-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: double post

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: