Latest Technology in Pool balls

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Here is "The story behind Aramith Tournament BLACK colours" -- https://www.aramith.com/story-behind-aramith-tournament-black-colours

(or "a" story)

Interesting story. I remember watching the Mosconi Cup where they used these balls. As far as being easier to distinguish in my opinion they failed, not only were they not easier to distinguish but then the viewer had to try to figure out which ball was to be played next because they changed so many colors from the traditional set. Not only that but with the balls laying right it often looked like there were several 8 balls in play. :confused::confused::confused:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...it's not a hard thing to get use too, having more than one black ball on the table.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
...it's not a hard thing to get use too, having more than one black ball on the table.
I think it's more than just that, most of us have grown up playing for the purple ball after the red ball and this 5 ball throws a major wrench in the spokes, not to mention that they are just not very attractive

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I could possibly see these used on a Black Light Table if they had some florescent colors...:eek:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have seen every type of pool video on my phone and on my PC, shot with many different cameras and phones, under all light conditions, and I have never had a problem distinguishing the traditional colors, especially conditions where these horrible colors were warranted. I only play the traditional Aramith Tournament balls at home. I am also happy that I am sure I will never encounter these colors at any of my local tournaments. Having said all that, If the OP is happy with these colors....different strokes for different folks.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Reinventing a simple thing like a Pool Ball is about hyping it, and selling it to people. People have to have latest, and greatest, or do they really?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have seen every type of pool video on my phone and on my PC, shot with many different cameras and phones, under all light conditions, and I have never had a problem distinguishing the traditional colors, especially conditions where these horrible colors were warranted. I only play the traditional Aramith Tournament balls at home. I am also happy that I am sure I will never encounter these colors at any of my local tournaments. Having said all that, If the OP is happy with these colors....different strokes for different folks.

It was a major problem before, when VHS was the standard. Often one could not distinguish between the 2, 4, 7 and 8! That's rather problematic. The TV colours were a great help in the era of low res digital and the very last hours of VHS.

What Matchroom did with the 5/4 colour inversion was a terrible thing to do. The fact of the matter is that Matchroom, is English based, and the English do not care about American pool as a game. They think it is inferior and have no respect for it what so ever. Therefore, they believe they can do anything they please to the rules and equipment. Ask a snooker player what he thinks about pool some day.. All they do is berate the game and the players. British broadcasters add commentators who have no knowledge what so ever of the game, snooker guys who talk the game down, and rag on the players abilities any chance they get. They especially laugh at anyone taking the game and it's history seriously.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can just see it 10 years from now...................

The New Aramith Competitive 8 ball set, the colors make you think better and the ball composition is geared to help you break apart clusters better!

The ALL New Aramith Quantum 9 Ball set, has a more bouncy cue ball to help you move it 5 rails and park it on a dime for that key ball in your 9 ball rack!!!!

But for now, I have went from Aramith Premiums to Cyclop Zeus (skittle), i am not yet ready to shell out for the duramiths.........not yet anyways.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Interesting story. I remember watching the Mosconi Cup where they used these balls. As far as being easier to distinguish in my opinion they failed, not only were they not easier to distinguish but then the viewer had to try to figure out which ball was to be played next because they changed so many colors from the traditional set. Not only that but with the balls laying right it often looked like there were several 8 balls in play. :confused::confused::confused:

Me too..had to wait & see when the player was shooting to realize which ball was which.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let the man enjoy his balls. I personally love the color and own a set myself.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Balls in Black

Others MAY buy them,, but I won't. IMHO, it was a bad decision... just being different isn't a reason to purchase something.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
It's always "eye of the beholder"....personally, I don't mind them at all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to put that on a t-shirt with a picture of a snooker table! :grin:

Some thought it might not go over well in today’s climate...
Even more reason to do it imo. People are waaaaay too butt-hurt these days.

Last edited: