This happened tonight.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it’s so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy’s? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I’m not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. Yes — Australia, and you must have suspected I would have known the powder’s origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
You’ve beaten my giant, which means you’re exceptionally strong. So, you could have put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your*strength to save you. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you’ve also bested my Spaniard which means you must have studied. And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

W T F. ???
E you are better then this. Post like this for Justin:grin:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
The winning player went to the third and fourth place finishers and told them of the situation and asked their opinion since it had never happened to the winning player before.

The third place finisher immediately replied it goes to the first place finisher.

After a couple of minutes of conversation, player D suggested that it should go to player C and that's how it was handled.

I thought this situation would have some various opinions and all of them are appreciated. Pt109, turning the joint into a parking lot......."C'mon" :D

JoeyA

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, you have two different things when you do side pots.
There is the tournament money which all players are going after. In this case it only pays the top 2.
Then you have the side pot money which is only getting paid to those who pay into it....

So player A gets 1st place = Tournament money + Side pot 1st place
Player B get 2nd place money from tournament.
Player C gets 2nd place Side pot money

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Most times in a Calcutta, players who get no bids (not even on themselves) are playing for the house...so the house gets their cut if they place in the Calcutta. Why not do it the same for the side bets? If a player not participating in the side bet wins first or second, the kick his share to the house...just a thought, and it would make you a hero to the owner...maybe even gets you some points down the road. Another idea is to put that cut into any break/run or bounty pot you might have.

If the rules weren't clear, then I'd give the cut to the next side bet participant, i.e. 3rd place. Fastest way to screw up a good side bet or Calcutta is to give the field the impression you're screwing someone out of their rightful share...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
SITUATION: a very small, local 9 ball tournament, paying only 2 places, first and second place.

There is a side pot but not all players paid into the side pot.

Player B comes in second place but did not buy himself in the Side Pot.

Player A wins the tournament and had bought into the side pot.

Player C came in third and bought themselves in the side pot.

Who gets player B's 2nd place Side Pot money?

JoeyA

I think, Joey, that the fact it's called a 'side pot' makes it an easy decision to pay player C.

If it was a calcutta, whoever bought player B would've cashed....
....any calcutta I've been in, all players are categorized as 'the field'....
...and someone always buys the field as the last bid.
I bought the field once for 20$...and have two guys make it to the money....
...calcutta was paying 8 places....:happydance:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I think, Joey, that the fact it's called a 'side pot' makes it an easy decision to pay player C.

Most calucutta's I've been in also had the field for sale, but many have the field play for the house...our recent Maryland State 10 Ball Championship had the field play for the house, which wasn't a problem since no one in the field got past the third round...;) Earl Strickland won it, but was I think about third place in the Calcutta...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Most calucutta's I've been in also had the field for sale, but many have the field play for the house...our recent Maryland State 10 Ball Championship had the field play for the house, which wasn't a problem since no one in the field got past the third round...;) Earl Strickland won it, but was I think about third place in the Calcutta...

I've never heard of this idea before....but I kinda like it.
...or maybe even a % goes to the player and the rest goes to a charity.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Side pots

SITUATION: a very small, local 9 ball tournament, paying only 2 places, first and second place.

There is a side pot but not all players paid into the side pot.

Player B comes in second place but did not buy himself in the Side Pot.

Player A wins the tournament and had bought into the side pot.

Player C came in third and bought themselves in the side pot.

Who gets player B's 2nd place Side Pot money?

JoeyA
Your second sentence says everything you need to know about payout distribution. Players MUST pay to qualify for the money.

We have a weekly tournament with a player funded side pot(No House Added Money), and it is not required to add the $ to the side pot to play in the weekly tournament, but only paid qualified participants in the side pot are eligible to win the side pot money.

In your case, as others have correctly stated, the payouts in this instance would be Player A and Player C, who were qualified to cash.

P.S. as a rule, don't ask friends of the winner if they have an opinion on the matter. Set a Rule, Enforce the Rule.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
SWEET!

JoeyA