building jump cue - what should I know about the handle?

TILT9

Banned
this will be my last question for awhile, I really need to get back to work.
got my hands on a nice piece of ebony.
some figure in it , 12" inch length round , 1 1/2" inch diameter.
looking forward to having a jump handle made from it.
What are the usual specifications?

(stabilized , kiln dried , turned properly , it's all set to go)

Attachments

• a017.jpg
    a017.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like to build mine like a normal forearm and add a small extension. .840 joint and about 1.009 at the "A" joint. i believe minimum length for a jump cue is 41". hope this helps.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the characteristics of a jump cue is that it is fairly light. Using ebony will certainly add weight to it.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Ebony is probably the last wood that I would use in a jump cue. Use the lightest wood that you can find. Maple = 44 lbs per cubic ft., Redheart = 40 lbs per cubic ft., Poplar = 29 lbs per cubic ft., Gaboon Ebony = 60 lbs per cubic foot.

TILT9

Banned
I wasn't thinking about weight , all I had in my head was fancy.
Considering length @ 41" inch , the piece @ 12" inch plus shaft @ 29" inch = 41.
I get it , it's too heavy , stability would be impossible.
OK , scrap the jump handle idea and I have a nice butt sleeve to make out of it.
It's a decent piece of ebony , look forward to using it another time.
Thanks.

Last edited:

bob_bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jump cue handle

try cedar usually has some nice yellow to pink hues in it. nice and light. take your time not very stable.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
How much lighter would the Ebony jump handle be if you bored it out as much as you could? Just leave enough on the end for the pin..... Then us a large diameter rubber bumper.....

TILT9

Banned
How much lighter would the Ebony jump handle be if you bored it out as much as you could? Just leave enough on the end for the pin..... Then us a large diameter rubber bumper.....
That sounds good if it were carbon fiber (braced).
I'm going to stay with the butt sleeve idea and because the piece is 12"inch , there's enough
Makasar Ebony wood for 2 sleeves.
That's a real nice length of Ebony dowel , I'm not going to trash it.

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made one out of walnut ( butt and shaft) the whole thing weighed about 9 oz. Made another out cocobolo ( butt and shaft) it weighed about 16 oz. they both jumped really well.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try using lighter woods for jump cues :)
I'm making some now. I'm using bloodwood, redheart and padauk, all give the handle a nice balance.

Last edited: