Help! Taper drop/rise....

Cychotron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys i need a hand with some info. Im having a custom 29" shaft with a 15" pro taper. What are the diameters on the shaft after the 15" of 12.75mm? Does it rise 1mm every inch or hows that work? What is recomended? Thanks in advance.

JC

Coos Cues
Hi guys i need a hand with some info. Im having a custom 29" shaft with a 15" pro taper. What are the diameters on the shaft after the 15" of 12.75mm? Does it rise 1mm every inch or hows that work? What is recomended? Thanks in advance.

I build mine with a straight line linear taper from the end of the pro taper to the joint but that doesn't allow me to use cool words like "parabolic" to fool customers into thinking it's really special. I also grow my shaft .010" over the pro taper. Shooter doesn't notice as it feels and looks straight.

JC

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I build mine with a straight line linear taper from the end of the pro taper to the joint but that doesn't allow me to use cool words like "parabolic" to fool customers into thinking it's really special. I also grow my shaft .010" over the pro taper. Shooter doesn't notice as it feels and looks straight.

JC

Not to pick, but the term parabolic was used by Kersenbrock to describe a taper that had a continuous curve from tip to joint. It can and has been argued that the specific terminology wasn't correct, but that's beside the point. He wasn't trying to fool customers into thinking it was special, only using a descriptive word that most people understand. The argument has been that his taper wasn't a true parabola, which IMO is getting way off into the weeds and unfair. When I hear the term, "parabolic taper" I know it means a continuous curve from joint to tip, which is notably different than a pro taper, which is notably different than a conical/euro taper, which is notably different than a compound euro. Those are all the basic taper shapes we see in shafts and the terms accurately describe the shape. Not meant to fool anybody, only inform them.

Cychotron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool thanks for the response! Well see how it turns out not sure how much longer ill be waiting for my cue.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
This is one of my favorite tapers:
G01 Y0.
X6.5 Y-.0035
X12.5 Y-.015
X16.5 Y-.03
X20.5 Y-.069
X24.5 Y-.113
X30.4 Y-.169

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I've tried that, and it always puts a "kink" in the shaft where the tapers meet, if you look straight down it. Doesn't really affect the play too much, but does look a little weird.

Cychotron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ordering my first custom was a good learning experience. Definetly going to keep playing and figuring out what will work best for my game in the future.
I think i might even dabble in cue making after my new buisness doesnt require all my time.
Cool stuff!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JC

Coos Cues
I've tried that, and it always puts a "kink" in the shaft where the tapers meet, if you look straight down it. Doesn't really affect the play too much, but does look a little weird.

I blend them in with sandpaper there. Then I can claim "hand made" :)

JC