1st Day as a No-Smoking Room ( my idea )

BHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I applaud those of you who had the guts to make your room non-smoking. No one here in this area has dared try it yet. I've been thinking about opening a non-smoking room. As for prices getting too high? Who is your clientel? I regulary see hourly rates from $4-10. Most coin-ops are $1 a game, minimum. I can actually play cheaper on an hourly rate. It's the places that charge a per person per hour rate that get expensive for casual groups. Four people playing casually can rack up a $32 bill and only get a few games in.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rates

I used to offer a $10 per person; play all night rate. Everyone loved it. 99% of the time, a party of 3 or 4 would come in; play as long as they wanted and leave happy. They very, very rarely played over 2 hours. Try it. Everyone wins.

I also had a $7 per person "afternoon" special. Customers could play from 12-6pm for a flat rate of $7. The regulars would be there all day. Instead of just hanging out, they paid the afternoon special then the night special. Much of the time they were just hanging out and not even playing pool.

jimmyB

Registered
Im suprised

Im suprised at all the anti smokers sentiment. Youll be ok. but maybe you can set up some smoker chairs with a cool zone outside for them. So they dont feel alienated. Are your competitors in town no smoking also?

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
jimmyB said:
Im suprised at all the anti smokers sentiment. Youll be ok. but maybe you can set up some smoker chairs with a cool zone outside for them. So they dont feel alienated. Are your competitors in town no smoking also?

At my place soon as I went non-smoking I have chairs and big ashtrays outside for them to use, business was a little off for a while then they all came back. I am the only room with no-smoking here out of 4 rooms.

Now In Sept it is a Pa state law, for no-smoking. I just started early for a health condition.

Now the economy is real bad and its killing the rooms around me.

highrun55

MikeJanis

Banned
I just wanted to bump up this thread because today is my 1st day of non-smoking in 30+ years .

I am on the cig wagon and just wanted to give a shout-out to the non-smoking rooms.

Mj

worldison2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
I just wanted to bump up this thread because today is my 1st day of non-smoking in 30+ years .

I am on the cig wagon and just wanted to give a shout-out to the non-smoking rooms.

Mj
Mike,
Good luck with the wagon. I smoked for 30 years also, and have been on the wagon for 2 1/2 years.
I quit many times over those years but was always drawn back into smoking because I was surrounded by smokers (either in a bar or a poolhall).
New Jersey went smoke free around the last time I quit, and it has made it much easier for me to not start up again. (Although sometimes I still go outside to hang with the smokers just to get some of the second-hand!).

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:

Mj

Does the Viking tour demand "No Smoking" during its events?

If not, how come?

Just wondering.

highrun55

Silver Member
Good Luck

MikeJanis said:

Mj

I smoked 40 yrs and quit 5 yrs ago, feel so much better, especially since my room went non-smoking.

Good luck and remember no matter what method you use, you have to want to quit in your heart or you wont quit.

highrun55

MikeJanis

Banned
cueandcushion said:
Does the Viking tour demand "No Smoking" during its events?

If not, how come?

Just wondering.

No we do not. We do state that you may not smoke over a table.

Personally, I have a problem telling anyone what do do in their personal life and I can not overide the rules of establishments in these areas.

It would be the same the other way to. I could not tell a non-smoking room to allow the players to smoke while in the event at their location.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
The dude abides.

Cool. Thank you Mike.

I know that when the Derby City Classic went no smoking during match play: even before the Louisville No smoking law came into effect; they got a bit of flack over it. I was kind of impressed they made that extra effort to bring a different atmosphere (pun) to the event. In addition to the dress code for matches on the TV table. I didnt know how much Viking Cues actually got involved in that aspect of the tour. Or if they just sponsor it and let others make the rules.

Jeeves

you are in range!!!
Silver Member
Less than one week till the PA Smoking law in effect.

I was talking with FAST_N_LOOSE and he informed me that the loopholes that appeared to be within the law are not there. I applaud those who made the change before hand.

jeeves

highrun55

Silver Member
6 months since going non-smoking

6 Months now and no real big problems from going non-smoking,
Players that stopped coming are back, have a few new customers.

Now all I need is for summer to be over and get the ecomomy back on track.
This has been my worst summer in my 15 yrs in business, and august was like I didn`t open the doors all month, terrible.

I can only get better so they say.

thanks for all the great post on this subject
I hope all of you are doing ok.

Sept 11th Pa will be no smoking anyway !!!!
highrun55

Last edited:

Ric C

Registered
Good move. Now the next step is to get all pool room owners to turn down the jukebox in half. It would certainly be nice to sit in a pool room nowadays and relax while you are waiting for a game or just watching a match. I can almost remember those day from years past. Of course that's asking a lot from someone who states that I make a lot of money from that jukebox. People like that just infuriates me. Can you imagine a business that only caters to a single group who likes loud noise, which they concider music, now that's a laugh. Most of this modern noise, and I don't call it music, makes me so nervous I could just scream.

Ric C

Registered
MikeJanis said:
No we do not. We do state that you may not smoke over a table.

Personally, I have a problem telling anyone what do do in their personal life and I can not overide the rules of establishments in these areas.

It would be the same the other way to. I could not tell a non-smoking room to allow the players to smoke while in the event at their location.
Mike, It sound to as if you are a defending smoker yourself. If so than you need think about the other players who don't smoke and have to put up with it during a match. Most big money tournaments don't allow smoking what so ever in the playing area. Maybe you need to think of others for a change.

BCA3212

BCA Billiards
highrun55 said:
6 Months now and no real big problems from going non-smoking,
Players that stopped coming are back, have a few new customers.

Now all I need is for summer to be over and get the ecomomy back on track.
This has been my worst summer in my 15 yrs in business, and august was like I didn`t open the doors all month, terrible.

I can only get better so they say.

thanks for all the great post on this subject
I hope all of you are doing ok.

Sept 11th Pa will be no smoking anyway !!!!
highrun55
Hey guys :) one month now since PA law stopped smoking and this is one SMOKING owner who is loving it! My room is cleaner, and its so nice to see across the whole room. I dont have to suck my heat and a/c out now along with not having to stop kids from smoking over my tables! DONT MISS IT! and I dont mind stepping outside to smoke myself .. its a good way (along with my cameras) to check on those who are out there smoking. All my ones who "VOWED" never to come back because of the no smoking are back now.. along with some new people who enjoy the new "cleaner" enviroment. I was so worried about this law but it all worked out. Hope the rest of you are doing akay with it :)

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
We have been non smoking in my state for years. Some bar owners lost business to clubs where smoking is still allowed. I am a non smoker and will not join one of these clubs because they allow smoking. I just wake up with a smoking hangover and my clothes smell like crap.

For you guys that are non smoking we have several places around here that have built out little smoking areas and smokers really appreciate it.

One of them is a ten by ten area surrounded by lattice work, a roof over head for when it is raining and a patio heater.

The other one just has one of those temporary car storage tents with a picnic table.