Your Opinion on Hand Powder Use

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Does anyone ever tell their customers to WASH their hands? With soap? This eliminates 95% of the problem. Very few people have such a sweaty hand problem they really need that much chalk. I let regulars use chalk bags and let them know its a $25 cleaning fee if they get it all over the tables. It also sells lots of chalk bags. We used to have cone chalk but people broke it into pieces so that they would not have to walk 20 feet to use it. So then I had 40 big chunks or cone chalk laying all over the room. Whenever I see people bringing in Johnsons baby powder I cringe. With the perfume in that stuff it really sticks to the cloth. I cant believe how many people are clueless about what screws up a table. I usually drag the vacuum cleaner over to the table and tell them to get all the powder up before they pay their bill. When people have to clean up their own messes they usually tone it down dramatically. Yeah...I can be a jerk sometimes to get a point across. Dont remind me.

I say put out a bottle of Dawn dish soap by the sink and tell people to use it. It will dry out their hands and most people wont need the talc.

Craig,
Same soap we use and It is mentioned to all of them.
Will be getting some more gloves to I guess.
Can`t make them all happy no matter what ya do.

Mickey
highrun55

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Penny wise and dollar foolish, IMO.

Rather than have your houseman, or maintenance person, brush or vacuum a 9 x 41/2 foot table for five minutes after two, respectful, careful, and considerate, "players" spend $50 on table time, plus another $20 -$30 in refreshments, plus a ten dollar tip to the server, you'd dissuade them from patronizing your establishment by barring their use of a commonly used piece of equiptment. :confused:

Stranger yet, many of these same rooms will welcome a tablefull of noisy bangers who usually distract the serious players, and are also much more likely to disrespect the room and equiptment by placing food/drinks on the table beds or rails, or placing lit cigarettes on rails, and dropping cigarette ashs on tables. Is talc the worse room enemy?

Certainly, everyone is entitled to run their room as they please, but in this economy especially, some may find it beneficial to rethink their management & PR policies.

Jim

Excellent point Jim.

I just wish I had more customers spend $50 in pool time, $30 in drinks and a $10 tip that had hand talc everywhere. In my room 90% of the time it is kids spending $5 in pool, having to get $1.35 in nickels and dimes from their car ashtray and " owe" me the last .15 cents. I do have customers that have huge table times and spend lots of money that trash the tables with talc. For them I do not care. I will spend the $20 minutes cleaning the table.

You have to balance the good and bad and do the old cost-benefit analysis we all learn in basic economic class in high school and college.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No wonder your business is so bad

Not allowing powder in your pool room is like not allowing chalk for your tip.
You don't think chalk is not almost as messy as powder. The difference is, it is harder to see than the obvious powder. Clean the friggin tables after someone goes crazy with powder. Educate them. Pass out only a liltle bit as i do and tell them how to use it. Take a damp cloth with woolite and wipe down the table. Not any harder than wiping down the cocktail tables during the course of the night. I have owned my room for 30 years and have never disallowed powder. It has not been a problem except for the "occasional" misuser and it is no big deal. There are a lot more things that are harder on a table, like beer, ketchup, greasy hands, oil on hands etc, etc. Tell a baseball player he can't use pinetar. How about a gymnast who can't use powder? How about a bowler? Some things just go with the territory. You know oversweaters are not the only people who need powder. How about construction people with naturally rough hands, calluses etc. etc. They could use power to reduce friction.
What a public relations nightmare, refusing powder. Customers won't say anything and I guarantee if they have a choice the next time they will go to a room that allows powder. You silly owners with your stubborn ideas are just cutting off your nose to spite your face. Is that the saying? lol. Something like that, it just means you are cutting your own throat and your profits. What a joke. Tell me where I am wrong owners.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful with what you say?

Thank you David, you are so right and I havent lost a soul because of the powder deal, I tell them and they use it anyways

Its a shame I probably wont have to worry about it much longer, the economy has hit me read hard and then summer came. Might not be here by Sept. But I am here everyday all day trying until the man throws me out.

Where is my small business bail-out ? LOL

Mickey
I feel for you but telling us about your financial problems does not add any options for you like selling, even at a loss maybe they could turn things around and with less overhead survive!!
I get scared for you saying things like the landlord might throw me out?
Mickey it doesn't work that way
I owned a business in a large mall and what they do is unsuspecting in the middle of the night put the padlocks on the door and file liens on your butt!
They will come after you personally for breaking the lease for back rent and all the fees incurred by them until they re-lease!

When you go against the suits you lose!!

It is better for you to talk to them and get a agreeable escape plan in place then to think they won't act!!!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Great Idea....maybe not

I'm no room owner either but most of the problem arises because, like some of you said they think they have to put that stuff all over their hands, body, clothes, table....you name it.

When I see a goof ball mis-using the hand chalk I try and show them and it usually helps. Has anyone ever thought about having somekind of diagram right next to the hand chalk showing proper hand chalk application, highlighting the areas you need the chalk because you know you only need a litle rub inbetween a few fingers...but which fingers? DIAGRAM IT...you could even have a tip chalking diagram showing the proper brush stroke too!

Maybe people would see the diagram an say, hey you know that makes sense...maybe they just don't know so if you want to have the chalk for use then show them how. Now don't go trying to rip the idea to Meuller and start selling posters...at least throw a poor dog a bone if ya do.

Like I said its not their fault they are ignorant...if you know the right way its up to you to show them...not to get upset when its not to your liking. Help build the situation better by confronting the wrong application....not just cutting it out all together or complaining about it. I for one think its worth the try if I had a room.

G.G.

highrun55

Silver Member
I'm no room owner either but most of the problem arises because, like some of you said they think they have to put that stuff all over their hands, body, clothes, table....you name it.

When I see a goof ball mis-using the hand chalk I try and show them and it usually helps. Has anyone ever thought about having somekind of diagram right next to the hand chalk showing proper hand chalk application, highlighting the areas you need the chalk because you know you only need a litle rub inbetween a few fingers...but which fingers? DIAGRAM IT...you could even have a tip chalking diagram showing the proper brush stroke too!

Maybe people would see the diagram an say, hey you know that makes sense...maybe they just don't know so if you want to have the chalk for use then show them how. Now don't go trying to rip the idea to Meuller and start selling posters...at least throw a poor dog a bone if ya do.

Like I said its not their fault they are ignorant...if you know the right way its up to you to show them...not to get upset when its not to your liking. Help build the situation better by confronting the wrong application....not just cutting it out all together or complaining about it. I for one think its worth the try if I had a room.

G.G.

Signs don`t mean squat, they do what ever they want to anyway.
They wont listen to any other ideas that would help them out.

There are only like 2-3 guys that use the powder.

Im dealing with the situation better now.

thanks for all the input, thats all I wanted was opinions.

highrun55

highrun55

Silver Member
I feel for you but telling us about your financial problems does not add any options for you like selling, even at a loss maybe they could turn things around and with less overhead survive!!
I get scared for you saying things like the landlord might throw me out?
Mickey it doesn't work that way
I owned a business in a large mall and what they do is unsuspecting in the middle of the night put the padlocks on the door and file liens on your butt!
They will come after you personally for breaking the lease for back rent and all the fees incurred by them until they re-lease!

When you go against the suits you lose!!

It is better for you to talk to them and get a agreeable escape plan in place then to think they won't act!!!

Im just stating facts, my landlord gave me a big rent break and I still can`t get busy enough to pay the lower amount. this economy sucks big time, all the other rooms around are struggling to a certain degree.

So it will come down to an auction if I dont make it.

thats all.

highrun55

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Im just stating facts, my landlord gave me a big rent break and I still can`t get busy enough to pay the lower amount. this economy sucks big time, all the other rooms around are struggling to a certain degree.

So it will come down to an auction if I dont make it.

thats all.

highrun55

I'm in the same boat, Mickey. I don't have a room anymore, I just teach the game privately. I have struggled for quite a while now, and I am calling it quits on September 30. I'll be shutting down the web site, book sales, etc, and going into a completely different direction.

You are one of the room owners that I would walk through fire for - I just think that somehow we're both being moved in another direction for reasons we might be grateful for someday.

highrun55

Silver Member
I'm in the same boat, Mickey. I don't have a room anymore, I just teach the game privately. I have struggled for quite a while now, and I am calling it quits on September 30. I'll be shutting down the web site, book sales, etc, and going into a completely different direction.

You are one of the room owners that I would walk through fire for - I just think that somehow we're both being moved in another direction for reasons we might be grateful for someday.

Thanks David, the lord works in misterious ways for sure.

Good luck and keep posting ok

Mickey

woody2863

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Penny wise and dollar foolish, IMO.

Rather than have your houseman, or maintenance person, brush or vacuum a 9 x 41/2 foot table for five minutes after two, respectful, careful, and considerate, "players" spend $50 on table time, plus another $20 -$30 in refreshments, plus a ten dollar tip to the server, you'd dissuade them from patronizing your establishment by barring their use of a commonly used piece of equiptment. :confused:

Stranger yet, many of these same rooms will welcome a tablefull of noisy bangers who usually distract the serious players, and are also much more likely to disrespect the room and equiptment by placing food/drinks on the table beds or rails, or placing lit cigarettes on rails, and dropping cigarette ashs on tables. Is talc the worse room enemy?

Certainly, everyone is entitled to run their room as they please, but in this economy especially, some may find it beneficial to rethink their management & PR policies.

Jim

We provide it, and yes it makes a mess, but those ball bangers who do make a mess are usually the ones spending the most money. I would never tell them they cant use it.We just clean it up afterwards . Not having it is like having a restaurant and going and telling the parents of a toddler to clean up the mess off the floor before they leave. Cleanup and maintenance is a part of doing business. I will gladly clean up a chalky table from a group of guys who just spent $100 on drinks and $50 on pool! Much better than having a group of guys that keep it clean, drink water, and complain about having to pay pool time when the bill comes.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
We provide it, and yes it makes a mess, but those ball bangers who do make a mess are usually the ones spending the most money. I would never tell them they cant use it.We just clean it up afterwards . Not having it is like having a restaurant and going and telling the parents of a toddler to clean up the mess off the floor before they leave. Cleanup and maintenance is a part of doing business. I will gladly clean up a chalky table from a group of guys who just spent $100 on drinks and $50 on pool! Much better than having a group of guys that keep it clean, drink water, and complain about having to pay pool time when the bill comes.

Makes all the sense in the world to me. :thumbup:

It falls under the title of "the cost of doing business", and results in a "return on investment".

Jim

woody2863

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes all the sense in the world to me. :thumbup:

It falls under the title of "the cost of doing business", and results in a "return on investment".

Jim

Thanks Jim...nice to see some people who understand business!

Might be why next month we will be the largest pool hall chain in the US! We are still opening stores, with the next one bieng our 5th in San Antonio, and our 19th overall. We are currently the number 1,2 5,6,7,8,9 in the State of Texas for Alcohol sales for pool halls according to the monthly report by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage commision.

You may ask what we are doing different? Well, we provide a fun, safe, friendly atmosphere with quality well maintained equipment, with most locations offering Food, Liquor,Beer,Wine, pool and video games. We believe that "Life is Meant to be Good" and preach that philosophy to our employees and our guests. We have an average of 23 8 Ft tables and 3-4 Nine foot tables in our locations. Our largest has over 35 8ft tables and 4 9 footers. The most important part of any business is you have to charge for the products you have. Many bar owners get sucked into giving stuff away to get people through the door. It will not work that way... You wont last.

www.fasteddiesbilliards.com

Check it out guys!...

Are we perfect? NO...but we strive to be the best in the business. Pool players dont support the pool halls. Ball beaters who think they can become the next Steve Miserak are!!