Pool cues on Boardwalk Empire (TV)

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
In the show's first season (haven't watched the second yet), Arnold Rothstein is seen several times shooting pool at his New York residence. The cue he plays with is far from period: it looks like a steel half-jointed production cue with a low-deflection shaft of some kind, judging by the logo on the shaft that I couldn't make out. Has anyone else seen this before, or can anyone lend their opinions on any other pieces of equipment? Like, is the table correct for the period? What should the cue look like?

Just thought I'd stir up a little conversation and some sleuthing :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While they (the producers) strive for "some" accuracy in terms of period items, what kind of pool table, and what cues were used, were not a priority. Tony Robles is the technical consultant, and IIRC provided the cues. I don't know about where they got the table.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave...They have a consultant because one of the main characters likes to play. The show is not about playing pool. The pool is an afterthought, which is why the characters don't have to play well. In a upcoming episode, Arnold Rothstein will play a couple of good shots. Robles did the instruction to show him how.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

They had a pool consultant for that show? I love the show, but the dudes playing pool in it play like it is the first time they ever saw a pool table and were only vaguely aware of what any sort of ball was.

dld

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Yeah, I think the main reason the table is even there at all is to suggest that Arnold Rothstein is a) wealthy and b) that he is a "gentleman" gangster.

Pool back then was considered a gentleman's game.

jonesy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed the cues right off the bat and thought the same thing. I'm surprised Tony had them use new cues

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The cues are Poison, and I believe they were provided by Tony Robles sponsor (Predator). This isn't the first time Hollywood prevented authenticity get in the way of good story telling. Passed off a Joss N7 as a Balabushka in the Color of Money.

I noticed the cues right off the bat and thought the same thing. I'm surprised Tony had them use new cues