Which low deflection shafts are .840?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for an LD shaft to fit my custom cue which is .840 at the joint with a 3/8x10 pin. A quick search on here seems to suggest that OB comes in that joint diameter, any others? I tried a 314-3 on it and the shaft diameter was slightly larger...

BTW any thoughts on the 3/8x10 pin screwing into the collar material instead of the wood on Predator shafts? Do you see any advantages or disadvantages?

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I'm looking for an LD shaft to fit my custom cue which is .840 at the joint with a 3/8x10 pin. A quick search on here seems to suggest that OB comes in that joint diameter, any others? I tried a 314-3 on it and the shaft diameter was slightly larger...

BTW any thoughts on the 3/8x10 pin screwing into the collar material instead of the wood on Predator shafts? Do you see any advantages or disadvantages?

You can special request any of these in a .840” joint https://www.tigerbilliardcues.com/tiger-x-shafts

Most “big pin” cues are .850”-ish.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think I have about 10 shafts 3/8-10 that are ~0.840-0.845. No issues with my Gilbert, Buss, Fanelli, etc. Too big diameter for my Madden (0.835)

OBs 0.845
Mezz WD700 0.840
Players HXT
Tiger Ultra X LD 0.840
Predator 314-2 0.846
Jacoby Hybrid Edge 0.838
Revo 0.845

Edit:

I suppose if we take the Hybrid Edge shaft at ~0.838 on the Gilbert butt at ~0.845, that the difference isnt noticed by anyone unless you’re really really really looking for a difference. If the dimensions were reversed, it probably would be more noticeable.

When I got some of my shafts, I specifically asked for 0.840, and they were off the shelf.

Freddie <~~~ in the membrane

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! Do you guys use IQ shafts in the US? They're popular in Europe and I can get a fully custom one with a good deal.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most big brands have collet diameter in the .840" range.
I cant emphasize the word "range" enough, as you will find small variations, even with a spesific manufacturer and a spesific shaft.
I've started to measure all shafts/butts I sell, and you have to give that .840" target a few thou of up and down.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I just checked and my early 2000 Predator 314, 5/16-14 is .850,
Jacoby Hybrid for Schon is .845, and Tiger ultra LD radial is .857