Butt cap material

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
I'm replacing a butt cap for a friend and need some input on a strong material to use. I've replaced wood, phenolic and Delrin material before. I'm looking for material that looks like this that will be strong from abuse, I know all will break if slammed hard enough. Would Juma be a good material???
Thanks for your input and is Atlas the best place to get the suggested materials? Thanks. Ron
d7864143243c5129dba7127066db8b94.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
What brand of cue? Also, what are the dimensions? I may have something that will work....and be VERY strong.
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I usually use Juma ......... never had anyone break one....... I do use a rubber bumper.....

Kim

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
I usually use Juma ......... never had anyone break one....... I do use a rubber bumper.....

Kim
I believe I used Juma before also with no issue. There will be a bumper. It was along time ago.

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
What brand of cue? Also, what are the dimensions? I may have something that will work....and be VERY strong.
Dave
Sorry for the wait Dave. He told me the maker and it sounded familiar but he said he isn't in the game anymore.
fa7e3ae223e9496f992d562e3b7cbdfd.jpg
e95df3cb193562c123d0a2f37d347f57.jpg
3225de815cefe087cb950cb44c158c63.jpg

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If you can machine a blank to replicate the original....I have a material that will be ivory-ish, but maybe a shade brighter, but stronger than the original. I will PM you tomorrow or Friday. Under duress over time, Juma will do the same as what this material did.
What kills these caps is when the person slams the cue down, say after a shot they missed, the rubber compresses and expands outward to the sides. That puts a lot of stress on the sidewall, then they hit the edge a few times in the process and it will start to cause a crack, then the constant smashing of the rubber into the floor, eventually you get what you have in your hands. Let alone the force a weight bolt screwed tightly into the V hole applies, while holding the cap in place. Lots of stress
Dave

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
If you can machine a blank to replicate the original....I have a material that will be ivory-ish, but maybe a shade brighter, but stronger than the original. I will PM you tomorrow or Friday. Under duress over time, Juma will do the same as what this material did.
What kills these caps is when the person slams the cue down, say after a shot they missed, the rubber compresses and expands outward to the sides. That puts a lot of stress on the sidewall, then they hit the edge a few times in the process and it will start to cause a crack, then the constant smashing of the rubber into the floor, eventually you get what you have in your hands. Let alone the force a weight bolt screwed tightly into the V hole applies, while holding the cap in place. Lots of stress
Dave
Exactly what he did, slammed it to the side hitting bumper and cap at the same time. I'll look for your PM. Thank you

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tomahawk is a lot stronger than Juma. I have done "slam the cue down" tests with it to see how hard you have to hit it on concrete using the normal 1" bumper configuration with only about .005 clearance between the side of the bumper and the walls of the butt cap.

I've also done this test using juma and black phenolic with different bumpers and configurations. Juma does not resist exploding from the expanding bumper well at all.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish the manufactures of cue making materials attached some engineering specs to the materials they sold. For example Atlas fiber whom I believe is the parent company to Atlas billiards specifies the engineering data for the materials they sell because it is a industry standard and necessary for doing business. Why doesn't the billiards industry demand the same? We are engineering a professional product are we not? If we had this info it would take all the mystery out material selection.
https://www.atlasfibre.com/new-page-5/

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
I wish the manufactures of cue making materials attached some engineering specs to the materials they sold. For example Atlas fiber whom I believe is the parent company to Atlas billiards specifies the engineering data for the materials they sell because it is a industry standard and necessary for doing business. Why doesn't the billiards industry demand the same? We are engineering a professional product are we not? If we had this info it would take all the mystery out material selection.
https://www.atlasfibre.com/new-page-5/
Absolutely!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Why is nobody mentioning a brace with steel (titanium if you are a freak)? It is extremely strong and if you just brace it, still lightweight. Steel is an amazing material that also is quite flexible, so it will take a beating.

Gorgeous Katana cue:
https://manningcues.com/images/P/KAT08.png

Slightly ugly Cuetec:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...956-9b93-d6642f3fde19_grande.jpg?v=1502553464

Because it adds a lot of weight and is unnecessary .
If you break Delrin or phenolic, you're a hothead .

I have never seen Delrin break .

I would use an ivory colored Delrin on that. Thread it and have a glue slot.
Use long-set epoxy or poly glue.
Don't use a 5-minute or wood glue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you choose to go with Juma, Tomahawk, Ivorine 4, Delrin or phenolic, they all will work just fine.
Juma and Tomahawk are the easiest to machine. Delrin is pretty easy to machine too. I spent all day making collets and they turned out perfect. Just watch your speeds and feeds.
Ivorine 4 is harder to machine and finish, but it`s superstrong.
Phenolic is also tough as nails and machines fine, finishes up great, but I really don`t like the way it smells, and I certainly don`t want to breathe in that fine dust more than I have to. Of all the phenolics out there I have tried, I like the Jet-phen stuff the best.