Water

PoolPuppy

I need some advice and/or suggestions. I have a number of league players who usually order a glass of water. League players play free and I don't receive any money from the leagues. My income is based on beer, wine, soda, etc. These water babies usually come in, play their match and then leave. I am frustrated that I have to serve them water,ice and then wash the glasses.I pay for the water. Am I getting picky or should I charge them for the "free" water?
By the way, we have refrigerated water fountains.

Tank138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
water

The Room I play out of puts out disposable plastic cups & a couple of pitches of water during tournaments & League nights.They also sell bottled water.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oye...I know how you feel. I think, if you don't want to do it just tell them you sell bottled water. Let them whine. You aren't making money on them anyways.
I used to charge the regulars $1 for a bottomless cup of coffee. Some of these guys would drink a pot by themselves, leave and come back at 11pm and want me to put on a new pot for them because "Hey, I paid for the coffee this afternoon!" Stories like this remind me why I don't want a pool room again.....

Bob

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Oye...I know how you feel. I think, if you don't want to do it just tell them you sell bottled water. Let them whine. You aren't making money on them anyways.
I used to charge the regulars $1 for a bottomless cup of coffee. Some of these guys would drink a pot by themselves, leave and come back at 11pm and want me to put on a new pot for them because "Hey, I paid for the coffee this afternoon!" Stories like this remind me why I don't want a pool room again.....

Bob

Got one that will buy a bottle of water then fill it up in the mens room all night.

highrun55

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Just start selling the bottled water,and giving a glass of water only with any entree'

Great Post!
flyingbrick.gif

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I sell bottled water. These people are too cheap to buy a bottle.

In my room I don't supply water any other way except Bottled. I charge a $1 per bottle, the same price for a Can of Coke or any other soft drink. If they are so cheap they will not support the establishment they play in maybe they should stay home and play with themselves.;)

Just my thoughts

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I need some advice and/or suggestions. I have a number of league players who usually order a glass of water. League players play free and I don't receive any money from the leagues. My income is based on beer, wine, soda, etc. These water babies usually come in, play their match and then leave. I am frustrated that I have to serve them water,ice and then wash the glasses.I pay for the water. Am I getting picky or should I charge them for the "free" water?
By the way, we have refrigerated water fountains.

First of all take out the water fountains.

....and you have "free" water? Has it been filtered and approved for consumption? Does the water company that sends you no bill also give you free filters for your water purifier that most bar dispensers have? Yeah, prolly not. Any customer that doesn't come back; who you didn't make any money on...this is an increase in income.

Several years ago when we discontinued "free pool for ladies" we saw our income dramatically rise. We did this by losing lots of customers. We lost customers that never paid. That took up table time from people who wanted to PAY for time. We only lost people that spent no money in the first place. Best thing we have done in 10 years.

Good luck in no matter what you decide.

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dbl edge sword

but then again.......they come there for what? you have pool tables.....maybe you should start putting the door back on the pool tables and making them pay for the games....or do you offer free pool for the leagues hoping to get more people in there to buy food or drinks? i dont drink alcohol and usually the soda out of the bar tastes like ass....i will eat if their food is worth a damn....but you cant have it both ways...

OTLB

Banned
Well to me the biggest problem you have is that you have been giving it away for free and once a precedent is set it's hard for pool players to swallow a change. I would just explain the problem to them and charge them .75. They should appreciate your attempt to keep the room operating at a profit. If they can't and they don't spend any money there why do you want them taking up space when there might be someone who is willing to pay. Charging .75 is fair and I would loose the fountains. It's nice but you are in business for one reason and don't forget that. Good will goes only so far plus charging .75 should allow .25 from the dollar for a tip because you know if you charge 1 dollar they won't tip and .75 sounds better

Last edited:

MarcusG19

Future Best In Canada
Silver Member
Your league players play for free? You don't have every player pay a couple extra bucks a week to play? Maybe try that, next season make each player pay an extra 2$ per week, its not alot, but it adds up at the end of the year. Just throwing out there.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I sell bottled water. These people are too cheap to buy a bottle.

Point them at the water fountain. If that isn't satisfactory then they can buy your product. If they're thirsty they will drink.

Don't have a discussion, it's a simple either or proposition.

:cool:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Insist on selling them bottled water. The hall that sponsors my wife and I give us free table time mainly because we spend alot on beer and food several times a week. Our waitress always gets a good tip at the end of the evening also.

dwiebelh

Registered
I only drink water when I go out anywhere. This is because it is healthy and free. Water is essentially free when from a faucet. When a business forces me to buy bottled water, it will piss me off, I won't buy it and I will be less likely to return there.

Would you expect a restaurant to charge you for water? If I pay my table time, I expect a bit of hospitality (gasp).

There is a reason why pool rooms are struggling. The type of thinking in this thread is very shortsighted and selfish. As a business owners you need to have some empathy, be friendly and think as your customers think. This is how you build a community.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I only drink water when I go out anywhere. This is because it is healthy and free. Water is essentially free when from a faucet. When a business forces me to buy bottled water, it will piss me off, I won't buy it and I will be less likely to return there.

Would you expect a restaurant to charge you for water? If I pay my table time, I expect a bit of hospitality (gasp).

There is a reason why pool rooms are struggling. The type of thinking in this thread is very shortsighted and selfish. As a business owners you need to have some empathy, be friendly and think as your customers think. This is how you build a community.

I disagree.

I think I owe the room some consideration and am willing to spend some money while I'm there. I dont drink alcohol but I do buy soda or water and wouldn't even THINK of asking for free water. I think that is incredibly rude and inconsiderate.

We have to support our rooms or they will close. I shouldn't be preaching here because I dont go to the room. I play at home. But.. when I do go out I spend money on food and soda.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I did not know I was being rude to ask for a glass of water to go along with the Diet cokes,pool time and tips I pay for 4 or 5 times per week at the local pool hall. I should be ashamed of myself.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member

He has stated that he has a WATER FOUNTAIN for your use. He also has bottled water for sale. Why should he dirty a glass for you, when you can walk over and get it yourself? He isn't Forcing anyone to buy anything.

:cool:

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I did not know I was being rude to ask for a glass of water to go along with the Diet cokes,pool time and tips I pay for 4 or 5 times per week at the local pool hall. I should be ashamed of myself.

You are not the kind of "customer" he is talking about. You are a good customer. You support the room by spending money. If I had my room, I would welcome a guy like you.

Bob

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the season is over, get with other bar/room owners and approach the league about starting a drink minimum. Its rediulous that you should be giving out freebie anything while your equipment takes wear and tear for a bunch of guys who arent spending a dime.
Chuck