business getting any better or worse?

luckyninja

Registered
I know its been a rough ride for many pool halls across America. Are things getting any better lately? It is so slow at my place how is it at your local hall?

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Dead

I know its been a rough ride for many pool halls across America. Are things getting any better lately? It is so slow at my place how is it at your local hall?

Its terrible here in SE Penna,
I have a decent day business or I would be gone already,

New Cloth, BYOB, Daily & nightly Specials and they still dont play ?
Will get behind in rent come June 1st, dont know how long the man will work with me this time.

But im here till he throws me out.

Good luck boys, its gotta get better sometime.

highrun55

Last edited:

Rocky247

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well here in Michigan the smoking ban has killed business.All the anti smokers were pushing for it and once it passed and the smokers left business is dieing a quiet death.This was a bad law to begin with and now its proving to be costly!

drawls13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's down compared to the Winter months, but at least we're not going backwards.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Things have been slow for the last 8 months due to 15000 soldiers being deployed oversea's, however, I am still making money. My pool leagues and regulars have kept me well above water. But I can see the light at the end of tunnel because all those soldiers will be home soon.

Hope things pick up for everyone else.

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the pool hall in College Station Tx last night to try the cues I have traded for. I got there about 5:30 and there was no one playing, 2 guys at the bar was all. The bartender said it was 5.00 all night, I thought how can you make money like that. At around 7 pm I noticed all the tables were in use and had about 150 people in the room. Everyone was drinking and having a great time. I don't drink but did buy two sprites and gave the girl ( who was beautiful) 3.00 each for them. She was very friendly and all room owners need great looking ladies, if nothing else just milling around talking to everyone. Men like to see nice looking and friendly ladies to talk too. Most guys going into the room aren't players and like seeing the ladies, just nature.
Any way they wee making money and I was glad to see it. The last time I went in on saturday it stayed dead almost till midnight when I left.
Have a great week owners and hope you can make it.
Percy

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Well here in Michigan the smoking ban has killed business.All the anti smokers were pushing for it and once it passed and the smokers left business is dieing a quiet death.This was a bad law to begin with and now its proving to be costly!

Now just have to aggressively pursue the 78% of people in MI that don't smoke!

Rocky247

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't play pool.They are to busy at the bars trying to pick up women and raising their pinkies with martunie's.Of course when they are ready to leave they just get in their cars and drive!!!Does the word "CHOICE" ever come into the minds of the socially and politically correct!!

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is the same thing everywhere, with everything, our country better realize it before it is too late.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Phoenix AZ will hit 110 NEXT WEEK, it should bring people back to the Pool Bars! I say Pool Bar as I think 100% of the places to play pool serve a minimum of BEER!!!!!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phoenix AZ will hit 110 NEXT WEEK, it should bring people back to the Pool Bars! I say Pool Bar as I think 100% of the places to play pool serve a minimum of BEER!!!!!

Congratulations on becoming a room owner!!! I hadn't heard...

The Pool Hall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is business

Things are decent for me but I only have 18 months to look back on. Daily specials help, leagues are hard to keep together but also help. I sell ALOT of food that also helps but very little beer. I also do alot of minor cue repair. I wish EVERYONE the best and think we should get a TEXT list together so OWNERS can share thoughts, Ideas, Questions, etc..... Anyone up for the idea can text me anytime at 864-871-1535.

Slate Billiards

Silver Member
Things are decent for me but I only have 18 months to look back on. Daily specials help, leagues are hard to keep together but also help. I sell ALOT of food that also helps but very little beer. I also do alot of minor cue repair. I wish EVERYONE the best and think we should get a TEXT list together so OWNERS can share thoughts, Ideas, Questions, etc..... Anyone up for the idea can text me anytime at 864-871-1535.

We are doing well. I am in the process of adding liquor. We had a falling out with the APA here and have started a BCAPL league. I am offering to repair tables at cost no labor for those that start BCAPL leagues in there place. I would offer the same to you Bubba if you would like to. give me a call.

Mort

luckyninja

Registered
ive talked to business owners and other pool hall owners. and people being down 30-50% over the last 1-1.5 years seem to be the norm. I know we are down close to 30% too. times are just rough. but I have other reasons other than a bad economy to blame for my downturn.

Gate City

Owner of Gate City Billia
Silver Member
Our business has been very slow this summer. We're in NC where they just passed a smoking ban. We are fighting the ban in court based on the constitutionality of the law and we still allow smoking while the fight is in progress. However, business is still slow.

If all the people that came in here and told us how glad they are that someone is standing up for our rights, came here just once a week, we would be jammed packed. Words are easy.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Pool is discretionary income. A luxury. We have an economy where people are losing their homes. It should not surprise anyone a luxury item has less demand these days.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Pool is discretionary income. A luxury. We have an economy where people are losing their homes. It should not surprise anyone a luxury item has less demand these days.

How true!!!! We are just paying our bills the big profits of the past are going to take some time to return. People need jobs.

We have had 5 major pools halls shut down in a 25 mile radius ( NW Chicagoland Area) because they couldn't make the rent. When the economy does get better I think business should be great due to supply & demand market forces.

Rick

Main Street Billiards Cafe
Algonquin, Il.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
places closing

i had been gone from the warsaw, missouri area for about 7 years and upon my return i discovered that about 8 - 10 places in a 30 mile radius had closed. these were bars that at one time had a weekly pool tournament. pool in this area in almost non exsistent.
i guess i could drive to kansas city to shooters and challenge dave matlock on a bar table, but maybe i'll pass on that idea.
its not just pool halls, i'm in the jewelry business, a luxury that most cannot afford at this time. very few sales, but the repair business keeps my head above the water.
i'm hearing that it is going to get worse before it gets better, so all we can do is just hold on as best we can

chuck starkey

WOODDALE72

Registered
How true!!!! We are just paying our bills the big profits of the past are going to take some time to return. People need jobs.

We have had 5 major pools halls shut down in a 25 mile radius ( NW Chicagoland Area) because they couldn't make the rent. When the economy does get better I think business should be great due to supply & demand market forces.

Rick

Main Street Billiards Cafe
Algonquin, Il.

It's a different culture today. Kids migrated to video games and the internet instead of going to the pool room. It may never comeback in my lifetime. Around my area in the western burbs of Chicago almost all the rooms closed up. Oak Park Billiards after a 100 years in business goes under, the Green rooms and 63rd street billiards and the Lyons pool room are out of business. The only good places to play are Chris's, Red Shoes, ProTyme and the Illinois Billiard club.

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Its about over

This week I will be giving my landlord my 90 days notice,
I just cant make the nut anymore.

I have tried everything I can think of and some suggestions from people here.

Im practically giving it away and no one comes in still.

I need the Powerball and maybe I could have half a chance. LOL

Talk to you all later

highrun55