Smoking vs. smoke free

FloridaPoolGal

Registered
Ok, so I'm in the process of opening up and have one major question. I have a great location, the rent and building are perfect. The owner is insisting that there not be any smoking in the building. It is in a small strip mall, with a large overhang in the front where I can put tables / benches. I have polled the local pool players and they have been very split. The non smokers say it would be great. The smokers say its financial suicide. I would be the only room within an hour radius offering nice 9 foot tables in a clean environment, there are a few smoking bars that have lousy equipment and dumpy environments. I need to know that non smoking will make it if I proceed with this building, but at this point I'm just super confused. Advice???

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
I am an ex smoker and I believe that non-smoking rooms are the way to go. I hated playing in a smoke filled room when I was a smoker. As long as you offer a place outside where people can smoke if they choose to do so. Rusty's billiards in Arlington Texas had a smoking side and a non smoking side the last time I was there. Breaktime Billiards in Albany, GA has those smoke away suckers installed but they still don't work very well. My 2 cents.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
In some parts of the country the closing of pool halls has been attributed to, in part, the decline in attendance due to smoking bans.

Personally, I don't care if they smoke or not. Before WA went to a state-wide smoking ban...every place I played had SmokeEaters in great working order. Even with contacts, I had no issues.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

FloridaPoolGal

Registered
I'm a smoker and I like my smoke free pool room...

I've read a ton of threads on here on this subject. Most of them are about smoking bans killing rooms, and mostly because there was a room 10 mins away that was not in the banned zone.

So I'm thinking of going non smoking by choice, not being forced into it. Anyone have a room that is non smoking that is surrounded by smoking bars or a smoking pool hall about an hour away? I really want to give myself the best chance at success. And if that means finding another building and paying $1000 more per month for rent, that's what I'll do. I really need guidance here.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Let them smoke outsite in a dedicated area designed for smoking. It's not that far for people to travel to take a puff.

I've heard both sides, seen both sides. My opinion.......

If you have a great pool hall, great food, great tables, great rates, great customer service, great tournaments, great leagues, etc...... even smokers will attend. The great thing about your situation is that you say your the only place within 100 miles. So, that gives you the edge to run it how you best see fit. The die hard smokers who say that they will leave and not come back, can just go if they are not willing to compromise with those who do not want smoke in their face and eyes all night long, and who do care about smelling like an ashtray.

Build a nice area outside, that has easy access, and plenty of ashtrays, and they will go outside to smoke and come right back in. Once you build the poolhall, you will attract both, it would be harder if you had a pool hall that already allowed smoking, then changed to non-smoking, because then the smokers will feel as though they are getting the shaft. But since your opening new, just be upfront, start it non-smoking, and smoking outside only. If it does not work, switch. But if you open smoking first, then you can't get rid of the smell.

Last edited:

Texaspoolplayer

Wanna be hustler
I'm a smoker, and I do respect the tables and do not smoke near them, However If I cannot have a cigarette in the bar I do not go back to it.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know how much smoking stinks, why do you suppose smokers have the window down in their car when they are smoking?

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so I'm in the process of opening up and have one major question. I have a great location, the rent and building are perfect. The owner is insisting that there not be any smoking in the building. It is in a small strip mall, with a large overhang in the front where I can put tables / benches. I have polled the local pool players and they have been very split. The non smokers say it would be great. The smokers say its financial suicide. I would be the only room within an hour radius offering nice 9 foot tables in a clean environment, there are a few smoking bars that have lousy equipment and dumpy environments. I need to know that non smoking will make it if I proceed with this building, but at this point I'm just super confused. Advice???

It appears to me the real question here is not 'smoking or non-smoking' but whether or not to go into business in this location. Being the only game in town more or less, it should be just a matter of how you operate the business. A good product will work. What are the local smoking laws? Be aware if competition can open up as smoking locally, you're likely to be in trouble. The last survey I saw showed that 60%+ pool players smoked.

dalo

Registered
It appears to me the real question here is not 'smoking or non-smoking' but whether or not to go into business in this location. Being the only game in town more or less, it should be just a matter of how you operate the business. A good product will work. What are the local smoking laws? Be aware if competition can open up as smoking locally, you're likely to be in trouble. The last survey I saw showed that 60%+ pool players smoked.

This seems to be it exactly. If you have little to no competition than people will probably be glad to go outside and smoke. On top of that you will actually probably get more business from non-smokers that will enjoy the lack of smoke. Probably a win-win for you.

Ultimately, I think you need to consider what the likelihood of someone else opening a similar hall that allows smoking. I would guess this is pretty unlikely given that there is no competition now within an hour drive. Also, if you did determine later that this was a make or break deal for your patrons, what would your move costs be? It sounds like you are getting substantial savings by staying at your current location.

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The State smoking ban played a part in my decision to start playing again after a 8 or 9 year layoff. I can now play pool without going home smelling like an ash tray.

Reactions: JC

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
The best thing you can do is to research your local demographic market....that will help you to make your decision.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
In Washington state they changed the law so there is no smoking indoors at all. There was MASSIVE outcry before implemented. within 6 months of implementation it was a non-issue.

Provide the smoking area outdoors and make it comfortable/social, that will suit both types of people.

Additionally, you should research the matter with your insurance company. Chances are that that your rates will go up substantially for employees and property insurance with smoking. In my business (accounting, so its apples to oranges) smoking employees healthcare is approximately double the cost of non-smokers. Obamacare will make that even more expensive.

FloridaPoolGal

Registered
The more I talk to people, the more I realize (I'm a social smoker) that if a person would rather drive an hour to play at a smoking room, more power to them. Florida is inundated with stinky smokey eye burning bars. I personally think its gross and refuse to conform because of the pressure by a select few chain smokers. These types of customers are not the ones that will pay the lease, and so be it. I'm ready to do the right thing here. Hope it works. Lol.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FloridaPoolGal- I'm a former room owner that lost my business due to smoking change. When the law in my town was put into effect I lost 60% of my business overnight. But that was because the surrounding towns allowed smoking. If I was setting up today I would be non-smoking. But it depends what customer you are going after. If it is the "pool players", you know, the gamblers, and not as much the tourney players, tend to be smokers. If you don't allow smoking they will go somewhere else that will. League players are about a split but they will go outside without any trouble. The gamblers for the most part don't play in the leagues. (and the "pool players" are a pain in the rear-end. Although it is a romantic thought, they won't pay your bills)

If you are non-smoking you have to watch very closely the people that go outside. If they go outside and you cannot see them they are capable of doing anything. The actions of those customers outside can affect your whole business. Lou Butera gave me the best advice. He said make sure you can see every square inch of your pool room, inside and out. So get security cameras so you can see the smoking area from your counter or work desk.

I also used to have a policy that worked. Never had a bit of trouble in my room. The people that cause the trouble are the people that come in with a player and just hang around. You know, two people will come in to play and four people will want to watch. My saying was "Oh, that's fine. You can watch, but I still have to add you to the table." In other words, if they are there they are paying.

Good luck. Sometimes I wish I still had a room and sometimes I'm glad I don't.

Bob

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smoking vs smoke free

I drive further and play on crappy 8 foot tables instead of nice 9 foot tables because of the smoking. I opt for the smoke free and will continue. I stopped at a room yesterday with nice 9 foot tables that allowed smoking. I couldn't stay in there. The non smoking place is 3 times the price but I still pay it. I hate the smoking in doors. Just have a spot outside for the smokers and let them have at it. My 2 cents...

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our room is a smoking room , we are classified as a "social club" to get around the state laws. From our point of view it was easier to accomidate smokers then not. Close to half of the people that come in here smoke.
If people cant smoke in your establishment they would probably want to "step out" 2 x an hour to grab ciggy, that means people who are on time are walking in and out of the room and causing potential problems with doing so.
Its a double edged sword, no doubt.
If you can partition the room into interior smoking/nonsmoking areas.do it.

PanicKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where at in Florida?

I am in Florida and would love to play at a place with nice tables that didnt allow smoking.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Everything here in Colorado is non-smoking and I love it. The amount of people that go out to smoke is minimal and the room are almost always packed, especially on league nights and weekends.