How far do you travel to play in a tournament?

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said in an earlier post a few days ago I have only played in two tournaments this year but I have been thinking of maybe starting to play a few more tournaments. So I was wondering how far do you drive to play in a decent tournament. There isn't any decent tournaments close that I can play in. I'm not terrible but I'm not that good either. I don't play to try to make any money, I just play for fun so I don't want to spend a lot of money on entry fees and travel expenses just to have fun when I can play at home for free. Also hate to drive a long distance just to lose 2 straight sets. LOL

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said in an earlier post a few days ago I have only played in two tournaments this year but I have been thinking of maybe starting to play a few more tournaments. So I was wondering how far do you drive to play in a decent tournament. There isn't any decent tournaments close that I can play in. I'm not terrible but I'm not that good either. I don't play to try to make any money, I just play for fun so I don't want to spend a lot of money on entry fees and travel expenses just to have fun when I can play at home for free. Also hate to drive a long distance just to lose 2 straight sets. LOL
A few hundred miles. Something that is an easy half a days drive at the most.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am lucky and don't have to travel far but I feel your pain. Regardless of your skill level sometimes you want to take your own temperature through good competition.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
Tournaments are good "seasoning". Even by losing, you learn. You learn things that
can't be learned in your basement. You learn about the demons in your head, and how to handle them. You learn to control your emotions.

How far? However far you can go, and play, and get home and back to work on time.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Large regional tournaments- Maximum 4 hour drive, but one day I am going to stretch that for Zingales tournament in Tallahassee, FL which is 6 hours away from me.

National tournaments: More than a few hours drive, I try to fly.

Local tournaments: 30 minutes.

JoeyA

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:boring2:

I might drive 100 miles at the most.

But back in the 1980's, sometimes 1,500 miles one way to play.:eek:

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as my jet will take me. Pitch Black turbo charged 4 cylinder goes like a Bat outta hell. And gets good gas mileage so I got that going for me as well.;)

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I live far away from everything, outside of nationals in Las Vegas, travelled to Michigan 15 hours, thru Minnesota 10 hours, Rugby, ND 13 hours, Winnipeg, 8 hours, all separate trips. Totally worth all the experience and it has helped me cash in alot of tournaments now and win some along the way.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen .......very easily in CA....70 mph is legal in many areas of our state, especially in the Central Valley where I reside.

California Highways with 70 MPH Speed Limits

The California Department of Transportation and the California Highway Patrol has implemented 70 MPH speed limits on the following Interstate and Non-Interstate freeway segments.
These 70 MPH segments are exceptions to the State's general maximum speed limit of 65 MPH. Autos with trailers and trucks are still limited to 55 MPH as specified in California Vehicle Code 22406.

Interstate Segments:

Interstate 5 Interstate 8 Interstate 10
Interstate 15 Interstate 40 Interstate 205
Interstate 215 Interstate 505 Interstate 580

Non Interstate Segments\State: Route 99 Route 215

So rest assured, when 70 is the legal minimum, in California, drivers will then use upper 70's and low's 80's when driving......only traffic can slow you down.
I betcha the average is more like 74-75 mph and you won't get ticketed........Highway patrol drives right past patrolling the highway.....they want the big speeding ticket $.

Matt B.

Last edited:

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as my jet will take me. Pitch Black turbo charged 4 cylinder goes like a Bat outta hell. And gets good gas mileage so I got that going for me as well.;)

What the hell no one likes my response. Guess ill hqve to pat myself on the back.jackals

I'm about to drive to vegas from missouri :eek:

When I went to Vegas (to play in the mini APA tournaments), I only had enough money for a 1 way plain ticket. So, I had to get a ride back in a car with a couple that were there (and split the gas money). They drove straight through (and only made a few rest stops for gas), from Vegas to Cape Girardeau MO. That was around a 24 hour car ride (if I remember correctly). Anyway, my longest road trips were from Carbondale IL to St. Louis MO (which was around a 2 hour drive I think).

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Allen .......very easily in CA....70 mph is legal in many areas of our state, especially in the Central Valley where I reside.

California Highways with 70 MPH Speed Limits

The California Department of Transportation and the California Highway Patrol has implemented 70 MPH speed limits on the following Interstate and Non-Interstate freeway segments.
These 70 MPH segments are exceptions to the State's general maximum speed limit of 65 MPH. Autos with trailers and trucks are still limited to 55 MPH as specified in California Vehicle Code 22406.

Interstate Segments:

Interstate 5 Interstate 8 Interstate 10
Interstate 15 Interstate 40 Interstate 205
Interstate 215 Interstate 505 Interstate 580

Non Interstate Segments\State: Route 99 Route 215

So rest assured, when 70 is the legal minimum, in California, drivers will then use upper 70's and low's 80's when driving......only traffic can slow you down.
I betcha the average is more like 74-75 mph and you won't get ticketed........Highway patrol drives right past patrolling the highway.....they want the big speeding ticket $.

Matt B.

I thought that the traffic was backed up over there a lot. I got the wrong impression of California I guess.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
If you live close to an American airlines hub, there is a real opportunity to work the credit card mileage angles. The hubs are Dallas/Fort Worth, Charlotte, Los Angeles, JFK in New York, Miami, O'Hare in Chicago, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and Washington,

The move is to get British Air avios(miles) either through credit card offers with chase (50k is the current offer but its been as high as 100k), or transfer to BA through Amex MR or Chase UR. Short flights booked codeshare on American using british air miles are 4500 avios one way for a flight less than 600 miles, so that means the one 50k credit card offer can get you 10 flights. I use avios all the time to fly short hops all around Florida to play tournaments. Its especially helpful for people in Miami because there is a serious lack of tournaments in Miami. I cant even recall when the last time we had a 1k added open event in miami. It might be over 5 years ago, maybe longer. 2007 I think.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next big tournament i want to go is DCC...
So if that happens couple of thousands miles.. :wink::p

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Anywhere within the 48 continental united states providing I can get enough approved time off of work and I have notice at least 60 days prior to the tournament. As long as there is enough added money, and a calcutta, and they allow me to play.