Cue from the late 60's ID help??

cptsprmkt

Registered
Hi all,

My friend's uncle left him this cue when he left this world. As told to him, it was made in the Baltimore area for his uncle as a birthday gift in the late 60's. Hoping the good folks here might have an idea. I had the tip and ferrule replaced by a gentleman at my local room. The ferrule was the same color as the butt cap originally. Looks to be made from a house cue butt? There is a tan bumper on the bottom. There is a B etched into sleeve. the inlays on the shaft collar and butt collar are nicely made. I've hit with it a bit, hits like a sledgehammer. It's about 56 inches long i think.

thanks for looking,

Ben

Attachments

• IMG_9364.jpg
    IMG_9364.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_9365.jpg
    IMG_9365.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_9366.jpg
    IMG_9366.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_9367.jpg
    IMG_9367.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 703

cptsprmkt

Registered
yeah i think so too, very simple, sharp. We have no idea what the B is in reference to- not his uncle.

My friend said it could be from the 70's. Would that still fit if it's a dufferin conversion?

thanks

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
It's newer than the 60s

Dufferin house cue conversion

Nice looking cue

I had a Dufferin and that was my first instinct until I saw the B.

Never saw that kind of work around the joint on a Dufferin. Of course, I know next to nothing about cues in general.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I had a Dufferin and that was my first instinct until I saw the B.

Never saw that kind of work around the joint on a Dufferin. Of course, I know next to nothing about cues in general.

Someone took a Dufferin house cue and "converted" it

It means they took a house cue and made it a dressy two-piece cue. The B is the result of someone drilling out the plastic logo and replacing it with wood

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

It means they took a house cue and made it a dressy two-piece cue. The B is the result of someone drilling out the plastic logo and replacing it with wood

The brown bumper is interesting.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

Oh yeah, I knew what you were saying previous post.

The wood on it reminded me of the D I owned.

Looks like good work from what I can tell(see last post).

I'd change the thread color if I had it.

Ok, how much? :D

cptsprmkt

Registered
Oh yeah, I knew what you were saying previous post.

The wood on it reminded me of the D I owned.

Looks like good work from what I can tell(see last post).

I'd change the thread color if I had it.

Ok, how much? :D

it is nicely made in a very simple way. I doubt he'd sell it from a sentimental perspective. I guess it wasn't necessarily made in Baltimore, that's just where his Uncle was from. He was fisherman, handyman, construction worker, and a friendly drinker who loved to shoot in the north east. His aunt who is not too coherent any longer said a famous player made it for him or gave it to him, but who knows.

I play with a Mezz wx900 and haven't played with many old cues in my adult life. It really does feel like a howlitzer. Pretty cool.

thanks!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i think so too, very simple, sharp. We have no idea what the B is in reference to- not his uncle.

My friend said it could be from the 70's. Would that still fit if it's a dufferin conversion?

thanks

Even for 70s that cue is in very good shape, the finish has a strong shine to it. Must not have been played much or been refinished. I don't see a cue 40 yr old looking that way unless it was just put away.

cptsprmkt

Registered
Even for 70s that cue is in very good shape, the finish has a strong shine to it. Must not have been played much or been refinished. I don't see a cue 40 yr old looking that way unless it was just put away.

I am not sure how much his uncle played with it. Maybe wasn't his playing cue. I really don't know. The old ferrule was the same color as the butt cap. Dufferin has been making cues since the late 60's I just read, and it certainly seems that the 'B' emblem is the right size for the Dufferin maple leaf. :confused:

cptsprmkt

Registered
oh well, I was sure that someone would see that 'B' and the look of the collars and say "oh yeah' that's this guy" If no one knows here likely to remain a mystery.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dufferin's were (and are) the best house cues ever made. Consequently many have been converted to two piece cues. As for me I like them just the way they are - one piece cues! :cool:
If anyone has any for sale let me know. I may put them in my cue rack and sell some of the cues I have in there now.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The brown bumper is interesting.

It's one of the replica bumpers they didn't start making until the 90s

Or a Huebler bumper from the 80s, would know better if there were photos of the cue under the bumper

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's one of the replica bumpers they didn't start making until the 90s

Or a Huebler bumper from the 80s, would know better if there were photos of the cue under the bumper

Now that I think of it, I think Prather’s was selling the brown bumpers.
...I got a bumper like that on my ‘68 Joss...but it looks a lot more worn.

bstroud

Deceased
the bumper looks like a Brunswick bumper. I bought hundreds of them fro A E Scmitt in the late 70's.

Bill S.