options.for a low deflection shaft.

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
I've been on the verge of buying a ld shaft for probably a year now. I've hit with countless predators, the mcdermott offerings, the full line of ob shafts, a tiger. I love the way they play. My issue is how they feel. They all feel well lacking. Now I know some body out there likes these and will say, well this feels great and so on. But my question is, is there an option for a ld shaft that still has the feel and warmth of a regular shaft? The natural weight of a shaft and not some fillers? Maybe a custom guy making one? Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck521

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try out Bob Danielsons SS360 LD shaft. he makes every shaft to order and you choose Tip, Ferrule Size/dia., shaft length, joint material, ext, I've heard a lot of good things about his shafts so I put in an order for mine I am currently waiting on him to make it. prior to that I had an OB classic which is an amazing shaft compared to the other top LD shafts. so i hope this SS360 shaft is every thing people say it is. just giving you an options

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try out Bob Danielsons SS360 LD shaft. he makes every shaft to order and you choose Tip, Ferrule Size/dia., shaft length, joint material, ext, I've heard a lot of good things about his shafts so I put in an order for mine I am currently waiting on him to make it. prior to that I had an OB classic which is an amazing shaft compared to the other top LD shafts. so i hope this SS360 shaft is every thing people say it is. just giving you an options[/QUOTE

OB CLASSIC is a very good shaft but the SS360 is just an amazing shaft , best shaft i have ever played .

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
I think the mcdermott i3 shaft is great, and its like 200, cheaper than the predator shafts. Its also not laminated, and less prone to warpage. It feels pretty good, and since its just a high grade maple shaft with a carbon fiber core it is close to a regular shaft.

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
I looked pretty hard at the mcdermott shafts. I've shot with the g core and the i2. I like the i2 more. Taper was comfortable and the price was right. I'm just so on the fence. Who's putting out a super stiff regular shaft for around that couple hundred price range.

Chuck521

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owed the i2, i3, G-core, 314-2, OB classic, and I've used an Ob 1, 2, a pred. z2, and OB classic pro. in my opinion the i2 i3 where ok and thats it just ok the G-core is junk i would waste your money, the 314-2 was a good low deflection shaft but no feel to it at all you just couldn't get a connection between you the shaft and cue ball. now the OB classis is a very nice shaft good low deflection, its has a good feel to it and a solid hit which i prefer, the OB 1,2 are shafts for people that like low deflection and thats it i didn't care for them because the feel to whimpy probably due to the fact there hollow almost the whole length of the shaft. The Z2 is a good low deflection shaft but again no feel its hard to explain really. Now the OB classic Pro is a very good shaft really low deflection, lots of feel and solid hit i was using the shaft for a couple weeks until this last weekend and i didn't ever really care for an 11.75 shaft I thought it might be to small but i couldn't really tell the only thing i had to adjust was the amount of english and forward spin or draw you don't have to use a lot with this shaft to get what you want in all this is a very nice shaft and recommend it. but I've told you about the SS360 shaft and have heard really great stuff about them and thats what i went with and can't wait to get it. so i hope this helps a little

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked pretty hard at the mcdermott shafts. I've shot with the g core and the i2. I like the i2 more. Taper was comfortable and the price was right. I'm just so on the fence. Who's putting out a super stiff regular shaft for around that couple hundred price range.

but the I2 is not LD at all. i played with a mates McD with an I2 and it has more deflection than my regular carolina cues shaft.

the i3 has a very snookerlike taper, very accurate, but needs a very straight arm to handle it.

From the McD shafts the Gcore is imho the best option between deflection,feel and forgiveness (does this word even exist?:confused: )

You might also give mezz a try: WD700 is pretty close to a regular shaft, and the update (wx or something) is coming. the Mezz HP is one of the stiffest shafts on the market, very ld, but has a different feel than most regular shafts.

you can also contact your trustfull cuemaker :) LD is just physics, get a good blank (well dried, old wood) and give your cuemaker an idea of your preferred taper. get a short, light ferrule and just drill it out the first few inches. go below 12,5+- mm and slightly stiffen the taper (mixed pro/conical). youll be surprised and you get better feel and feedback than with the laminated crapshafts.

havent tried the SS360 though, but it should be a good buy considering price/reputation here.

WolfBreed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LD Shaft

I've heard of Bob Danielson's SS360 shaft and Fast Larry Guninger's Juice shaft, but haven't had the opportunity to try either.
As far as a production LD shaft, I prefer the Mezz line. The Hybrid Pro II (12.5mm) being their lowest deflection shaft, then the WD700 (12.5mm), then the Alpha Hybrid (12.8mm). All are one piece maple shafts instead of laminated. The hit seems much more solid and natural than the Predators and OBs, which I also own. Though the Hybrid Pro II generally runs a little over $300, the WD700 is usually a bit cheaper than the Z2 and 314-2. Mezz's newest and lowest deflection shaft, the WX900 (12.0mm), is scheduled to hit the market around August, according to their Facebook page.
I also own a McD I3 shaft as well, and tend to prefer it when playing 3-Cushion Billiards. The European taper seems to be more comfortable for those that play Billiards or Snooker. Few of my "hardcore pool" buddies tend to like it.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 63. I have been playing for about 3 years now and I have gotten serious about learning and practicing for about 1 1/2 years so, I'm not an expert, but I have my $.02.

I have an i3, SS360, and a Classic Pro. All are 11.75 diameter. The i3 stays at home, The SS360 is always with me but I mostly play the Classic Pro. I switch back and forth between the SS360 and the OB. To me, the OB Classic Pro has more feedback and the SS360 moves the ball around slightly better, maybe too much for me (less forgiving), as my stroke is not as consistent a I would like.

I think you need to factor in your joint material into the equation as well (steel vs the softer types) My $.02

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
I would ask my local cue maker to make me a shaft, but the last time I did that, it didn't turn out so well. Definitely did not get what I paid for. And this guy is known all of the world and has a big name. I have big hands and shooting with a shaft under 12.8 just isn't comfortable. I think I'm going to.give that ss360 a try. Thankx for the help guys

dakraljic

Banned
Lambros builds some great low deflection shafts too.Great quality and workmanship.Friend has ordered one to be built for him and when he received it few weeks back he was stunned.Great playability and consistency.He used to play with Predator for a while and now he says that Predator isn't in the same league in compared to Lambros's shafts.He regrets he didn't order it before.From the moment when you see the shaft in person even as a layman you can see a difference in workmanship and everything else.
It is much stronger too.
Hope this helps and as soon as I will be able to,I will post some pictures of that friend's Lambros shaft.You will be able to see difference immediately.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lambros builds some great low deflection shafts too.Great quality and workmanship.Friend has ordered one to be built for him and when he received it few weeks back he was stunned.Great playability and consistency.He used to play with Predator for a while and now he says that Predator isn't in the same league in compared to Lambros's shafts.He regrets he didn't order it before.From the moment when you see the shaft in person even as a layman you can see a difference in workmanship and everything else.
It is much stronger too.
Hope this helps and as soon as I will be able to,I will post some pictures of that friend's Lambros shaft.You will be able to see difference immediately.

not difficult since predator uses the cheapest crapwood on the market. as stated 10000 times, these shafts are not laminated because this would make them better playing shafts, they are laminated so that the cheap wood doesnt warp within the first 2 weeks.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been on the verge of buying a ld shaft for probably a year now. I've hit with countless predators, the mcdermott offerings, the full line of ob shafts, a tiger. I love the way they play. My issue is how they feel. They all feel well lacking. Now I know some body out there likes these and will say, well this feels great and so on. But my question is, is there an option for a ld shaft that still has the feel and warmth of a regular shaft? The natural weight of a shaft and not some fillers? Maybe a custom guy making one? Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure exactly what do you mean by feel, i assume sound, and the solid maple hit associated with hard wood, which is extremely HD (high squirt) shafts, LD has to be made from lighter weight wood therefore, you will not feel the solid hit. It is more critical to run balls than how cue feel IMO.

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
I've got a few friends that play with a lambros. They play great, no denying that. But I can buy a whole cue for.the price of one of his shafts.

dakraljic

Banned
Hi
You asked for the best and they are the best.Price is lower than Predator shaft.Lambros laminated shaft would cost you 250$.
What is the price you are paying for other laminated shafts????

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with them all... I prefer the GCore shaft by McDermott.... Low deflection characteristics but still has the hit of a solid piece of wood...

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

get yourself a Mezz WD700 shaft. they have the low deflection you're looking for and they've got all the feel you get with a standard maple shaft. they're really the best of both worlds. no hollow feel and the same low deflection you get iwth a 314.

i also highly recommend the shaft that BDcues here on az makes and offers.

what joint pin are you looking for? there's a guy in the wanted/sale forum that's selling a WD700 with a 5/16-14 joint. they're great shafts you won't regret getting one. the only bad part is tha they only come in 12.5mm they'd be perfect if they got offered in 13mm