Rubber tips: do they reduce skidding and play better english?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, what I meant was that I want the CB to hit the intended ball accurately if I shoot at low to medium speed. If I'm bangin', than I still want my CB do go straight (a couple of mm don't really matter). I don't want to miscue and send the white into an opponent's ball or something like that. And if I make a mistake, I'd rather have CB go more or less straight and then do weird stuff (like extreme, top speed english and masse) AFTER it hits the target or at least a rail (can still give me lucky pockets/safeties). The fact is, when bangin' I don't need laser accuracy, I just need general direction. Regular tips either give me great accuracy or completely failed direction. I'd rather have less accuracy and an unpredictable CB to worry about, as long as the general direction is maintained. I hope you understand what I'm talking about now.

It will go straight and accurate when you hit at any speed if you have a stroke. Without that no tip will help. I play 2 hours a day on average and miscue maybe once a week. This game begins and ends with fundamental but I've only been playing 25 years so what do I know lol

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Brad

These guyz created this because they were supposedly the first producers of rubberized tips for the bar owner who wanted em to last forever and needed a scuffing once in awhile.

Attachments

• DeckingBrAdMScup 005.jpg
    DeckingBrAdMScup 005.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 217

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
No, what I meant was that I want the CB to hit the intended ball accurately if I shoot at low to medium speed. If I'm bangin', than I still want my CB do go straight (a couple of mm don't really matter). I don't want to miscue and send the white into an opponent's ball or something like that. And if I make a mistake, I'd rather have CB go more or less straight and then do weird stuff (like extreme, top speed english and masse) AFTER it hits the target or at least a rail (can still give me lucky pockets/safeties). The fact is, when bangin' I don't need laser accuracy, I just need general direction. Regular tips either give me great accuracy or completely failed direction. I'd rather have less accuracy and an unpredictable CB to worry about, as long as the general direction is maintained. I hope you understand what I'm talking about now.

This post has convinced me beyond all doubt that P&P is a troll... or the worst pool player ever... probably both.

If you're somehow getting unintentional "extreme top speed english and masse", put the cue stick down and back away from the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Related to the subject of this thread.... About 1995 or so, roughly, there was a product called "Future Tip" which was some kind of rubbery material with fibers in it for durability. It was supposed to last forever, but it did need chalk and it did not take chalk very well. I may still have one or two. The developer came to one or two BCA trade shows.

So far as I know, there has never been a successful rubber tip that did not need chalk. I tried part of a Super Ball but it fractured very easily.

Slightly related to the subject of this thread, one of the most unusual jobs I've ever heard of (and seen the workers for) was cutting the tips off of reservoir condoms. The tips were used as the working surface of a contact tonometer (google is your friend) and they were apparently the cheapest way to get a certified-sterile bit of rubber.

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Fix your stroke. Until you do that the tip won't matter. If the CB doesn't go straight when you are "bangin" but it does at low to medium speed, your problem isn't the tip, os going to a different tip material isn't going to fix it.

:cool:

My CB goes straight at any speed when I get the shot right. Mistakes tend to happen more often when I'm trying to break the sound barrier, though. If I miscue, then it does come down to tip properties if the CB will remain general direction or completely go off course.

It will go straight and accurate when you hit at any speed if you have a stroke. Without that no tip will help. I play 2 hours a day on average and miscue maybe once a week. This game begins and ends with fundamental but I've only been playing 25 years so what do I know lol

I practice and improve my stroke every time I play, but it's a slow process. Mistakes can always happen, even after lots of experience.

This post has convinced me beyond all doubt that P&P is a troll... or the worst pool player ever... probably both.

If you're somehow getting unintentional "extreme top speed english and masse", put the cue stick down and back away from the table.

Don't panic, extreme english is usually intentional, only masse appears to happen after the CB flying at meteor speed hits another ball, usually next to or frozen on a rail, under a specific angle. Sometimes also when it hits a pocket corner.

Related to the subject of this thread.... About 1995 or so, roughly, there was a product called "Future Tip" which was some kind of rubbery material with fibers in it for durability. It was supposed to last forever, but it did need chalk and it did not take chalk very well. I may still have one or two. The developer came to one or two BCA trade shows.

So far as I know, there has never been a successful rubber tip that did not need chalk. I tried part of a Super Ball but it fractured very easily.

Slightly related to the subject of this thread, one of the most unusual jobs I've ever heard of (and seen the workers for) was cutting the tips off of reservoir condoms. The tips were used as the working surface of a contact tonometer (google is your friend) and they were apparently the cheapest way to get a certified-sterile bit of rubber.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. The whole invention actually sounded logical and promising :(

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member

Maybe he just doesn't realize that you should chalk before most every shot. That might explain a lot... naaaahh.

One's greatest enemy is himself.

You got that right.

...For what it's worth, that's my last jibe for Poolkiller. I think he is a troll too. If he's not then he unintentionally makes a mockery of the game of pool with his ridiculous posts, after many attempts by other members to steer him down the right path. Either way, I have no respect for it.

Nevertheless, I find myself not liking myself for disliking him openly. So I am done with all that now.

Fatz

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
My CB goes straight at any speed when I get the shot right. Mistakes tend to happen more often when I'm trying to break the sound barrier, though. If I miscue, then it does come down to tip properties if the CB will remain general direction or completely go off course.

:(

Sorry you're wrong. Your stroke goes to shit when you hit hard, otherwise you'd get the "shot right".

Know your limitations. Figure out the max speed you can hit consistently without cue tip break down and then slowly work on increasing power and consistency.

There isn't any reason to ever "break the sound barrier" perhaps you'd be better off knowing your limitations and work on better position play and pattern recognition.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you are serious and not as the others posting in this thread describe you then you'll hear it for what it's worth and take a look at why you feel like you have to smash the balls to dust like something out of a Flintstones cartoon...

Stand by for one of these internet guru's to post the you tube of the episode....

:cool:

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
hey Pre...

actually imho you are not even close to correct

for example lets take two of life's highly useful materials: wood and iron;

both have been Greatly Improved upon:
woods either impregnated or even synthetic or for siding, aluminum or polymers;

iron now in so many varieties they have to have a numbering and or letter/number system to keep track of them.

not to forget the replacement for metal all together; carbon fiber, fiberglass, ect.

again, imho, the leather tip is as old as Noah and all the variations are in very few cases improved leather.
and on top of that, you Must Chalk too!

synthetics will take over and will definitely be better when made, but it is such a small business market and the price of a Great Syn Tip if sold at a fair price would be so cheap nobody wants to bother with it.

and you will not even need to chalk either...

open your mind!

all the best,
smokey

I think people are always trying to re-invent the wheel. You have to look at things in terms of properties, and see if those properties need minor tweaks. As opposed to making wholesale changes for the sake of change (or marketing). It's the evolutionary approach, it's natural. You change something gradually, only where a new material or technology allows the improvement. New inventions are great. But inventions that already exist are only tweaked.

Take balls. Sheesuz Chrises. Everybody wants to change the balls' colors. Accustats yellow and red, gimme a break. Cyclops mauve, chartruse, tope, powder blue, puuuleeees! With "tournament blue" cloth, very little needs to be done with ball colors. Why not leave them the same as much as possible? At the most, I would only tweak the purple balls to a SLIGHTLY lighter shade of purple to differentiate them from the blue balls or the black ball. I like the tan color for the 7/15. THERE, that's it. That is all you need to tweak to solve the problem.

Now, what was I saying, oh yah...

Looking at it from the perspective of properties. Tips need to have the right hardness (firm yet pliable) and have the right degree of surface friction. It's really that simple. If someone ever comes up with a new material that can out-perform leather, then great. But guess what? It won't out-perform leather by a whole lot (one major improvement could come from longevity maybe, but that's a different topic). And that material won't be rubber. Rubber has been around for along time. We would all be using it by now if it were the best material.

Fatz

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Related to the subject of this thread.... About 1995 or so, roughly, there was a product called "Future Tip" which was some kind of rubbery material with fibers in it for durability. It was supposed to last forever, but it did need chalk and it did not take chalk very well. I may still have one or two. The developer came to one or two BCA trade shows. ...

Bob -- I was told by the company that sold them that the "Future Tip" was made from polyurethane. I used them in the early-to-mid nineties. Very hard, but I liked them. I never found anyone else who liked them.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said you don't have a stroke. Never do I have to break the sound barrier as you put it. Not even when I'm breaking. Someday you'll find out that a smooth stroke and follow through will get you anywhere you need around the table. If I need to get an extra rail I add some spin so it execrates off the rail and adds some speed but still allows me to hit medium and smooth.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Makes me want to go get a super ball and shape it down into a tip to see how it would play.

Actually, the vulcanized rubber is not conducive to shaping as it tends to want to chip.

I think the proper experiment would be to go down to Office Depot (or Staples, WallyWorld, etc.) and buy one of those large pencil erasers and pare it down. Those things are purposely made to create friction (i.e. to remove pencil marks from paper). The consistency of the rubber seems to be a better choice to try for a cue tip.

I'm not game to try it. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Maniac

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
Actually, the vulcanized rubber is not conducive to shaping as it tends to want to chip.

I think the proper experiment would be to go down to Office Depot (or Staples, WallyWorld, etc.) and buy one of those large pencil erasers and pare it down. Those things are purposely made to create friction (i.e. to remove pencil marks from paper). The consistency of the rubber seems to be a better choice to try for a cue tip.

I'm not game to try it. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Maniac

Yes, erasers actually work pretty well, back when I had to play at my older college campus, there were no cues with tips, and I ended up jamming an eraser in a screw on thing and it worked way better than using the cue with the rounded ferrule/wood. Sidespin was possible atleast and etc.