Alternative bridges without the thumb

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
I recently stabbed myself in the thumb because I like to flip my balisong knives while drunk which caused a blade to go through my thumb and exit partially out the other side. As a result the joint of my thumb is messed up and hurts when I bend it. I got a tournament tomorrow and was just wondering if anybody knew of any alternative bridges that are pretty stable. I usually use a closed bridge. I was thinking of using my index finger with the middle finger on top of it curved to make a loop similar to the regular closed bridge, but I have not had a chance to practice it yet.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I recently stabbed myself in the thumb because I like to flip my balisong knives while drunk which caused a blade to go through my thumb and exit partially out the other side. As a result the joint of my thumb is messed up and hurts when I bend it. I got a tournament tomorrow and was just wondering if anybody knew of any alternative bridges that are pretty stable. I usually use a closed bridge. I was thinking of using my index finger with the middle finger on top of it curved to make a loop similar to the regular closed bridge, but I have not had a chance to practice it yet.

The Filipino players tend to use a bridge that might help. They use their index finger resting on top of their middle finger to form a loop, although you need fairly slender fingers to pull it off.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
The only advice I can give you for the future is to mark one handle on your butterfly and make sure that you are holding that one so if you mess up, the back of the blade will fold against your thumb and not the sharp part.

Hurts doesn't it. You should only need to do this once to find out as you did. If you do this more than once, you shouldn't be playing with sharp instruments.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
I can think of a dozen smart things to say but we have all done dumb things before and alcohol has only enhanced the stupidity on my end, more so than for the average Joe.

Hope the pain eventually wears away. Damn shame to have to alter the pool game...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can use the Claw or Knuckle bridge. There is a guy I know that can't make a bridge due to his hand not working properly because of a disease, he plays with the cue in between the knuckles. There was a video of a guy that could actually play OK, he bent his fingers into a claw and bridged between two fingers.

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
The only advice I can give you for the future is to mark one handle on your butterfly and make sure that you are holding that one so if you mess up, the back of the blade will fold against your thumb and not the sharp part.

Hurts doesn't it. You should only need to do this once to find out as you did. If you do this more than once, you shouldn't be playing with sharp instruments.

I was stabbing a bottle like an idiot for whatever reason and it slipped off into my finger.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Please, oh please tell us you said "hey y'all, watch this!"

While chit-chatting with people at work I was playing with an ink pen. I would grasp it lightly letting it hang out from the bottom of my hand then use the other hand to pop it in the air and catch it again. It was all good until I let the pen slide down too far, I stabbed my thumb with the pen, it was stuck in my thumb, deep, I had to pull it out. The people at work who saw this happen never let me forget about it, after the queasy looks left their faces anyways. :embarrassed2:

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently stabbed myself in the thumb because I like to flip my balisong knives while drunk which caused a blade to go through my thumb and exit partially out the other side.

lol.. great way to start my morning, i guess last night could have been worse for me...

speedy recovery to you sir, you are a brave man.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Filipino players tend to use a bridge that might help. They use their index finger resting on top of their middle finger to form a loop, although you need fairly slender fingers to pull it off.

I bet they invented this bridge from stabbing themselves in the thumbs too! Afterrall, they invented balisongs! Btw this made me laugh pretty good, I'm a balisong collector and user myself, and they always seem to sound like a good idea after a couple beers!

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll refrain from name calling and just try to help.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I was stabbing a bottle

OK Darwin.
Rock
Paper
Scissors

Glass
Knife Blade.

Yeah, I had a real nice Butterfly until it was stolen in a B&E. The trick that I told you to do, marking one handle was a result of the blade folding against my thumb. So I am a Darwin too.

I could do a couple of pretty good tricks with it.