Donation-based instruction?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've come up with a unique system that I believe can be helpful to players of pool, snooker, and any other billiard sport. At this early stage of development, I'm just curious whether a donation-based marketing model would reward me for the effort I'm putting into this.

As someone who has paid a lot for music, books, software, etc. that I don't end up using, I'm fond of the idea of freely sharing intellectual property, but I'm also fond of end users supporting the efforts of creators after finding their creations "of value to them."

So I'm hoping to create a website where the complete system is available to everyone, but I would ask for donations from those who found the system helpful after learning it.

What are your thoughts? Has the honor-system been done in the billiard world before, and was it profitable? If a system is truly useful, do you think people would donate?

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
donations?

It's hard to assess the likelihood of success, but I can tell you that pool players in general do not have a good reputation of spending money.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I would think the biggest obstacle would be getting the owner/publisher of the material to agree to donation-based distribution. If they're asking $40 for their DVD -- and have a good reputation and selling reasonably well -- why taking the risk of getting $5 donations? That's a lot of volume (8:1) to get to breakeven.

But it might be very attractive to new instructors who don't have a top-flight production...but have some very helpful ideas.

Best of luck.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think the biggest obstacle would be getting the owner/publisher of the material to agree to donation-based distribution. If they're asking $40 for their DVD -- and have a good reputation and selling reasonably well -- why taking the risk of getting $5 donations? That's a lot of volume (8:1) to get to breakeven.

But it might be very attractive to new instructors who don't have a top-flight production...but have some very helpful ideas.

Best of luck.

Thank you. Although I'm a good player, I have no reputation as a competitive player or instructor to back me on this, but the system is making me better and I know it will help others. I'm not looking forward to the work ahead of me, but it would help to know that there are folks out there who would pay for it if it works for them. Though as wahcheck and poolhall60561 are suggesting, the pool playing community isn't known to hand over cash easily. Lots to consider and if it's worth my time.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I don't think cheap is the right word to describe a segment of that complains about bottled water and coin-op table prices, yet have no qualms paying for $30 premium chalk.

Refining your donation based concept, how about offering premiums or tchotchkes for higher level of donations?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think cheap is the right word to describe a segment of that complains about bottled water and coin-op table prices, yet have no qualms paying for $30 premium chalk.

Refining your donation based concept, how about offering premiums or tchotchkes for higher level of donations?

That's an idea. And good point... people are willing to spend a lot of money on cues and accessories.