APA is unfair

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
haha...LOL

thanks for the entertainment.............

and .... no I am not 15 and I am not a SL 4

Kim

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep still 23 points cap in 9 ball same as 8 ball, with two skill levels higher.
The league tries to justify it by saying 9 ball actually goes down to Skill Level 1. So they give you 1 skill level lower but 2 skill levels higher. As a skill level 9 I can’t even get enough games in to qualify for MVP. It sucks.
Their idea is that the higher skill levels should go on to play masters and make room for more feeder fish, um I mean new players.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Their idea is that the higher skill levels should go on to play masters and make room for more feeder fish, um I mean new players.

Exactly right! APA doesn’t really give a crap about the higher skill level players. Their bread and butter is SL4s and below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's perfectly fine to try out the APA for a little while then graduate to a real league, like the BCAPL, when you get serious about your game.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
The more I hear people talk about how bad APA is and all the sandbagging, the more I'm happy that I have no clue about the league. If it ever presents itself around here I'll be sure to stay out of it.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Agreed.

And OP sounds like a thieving league operator POS who definitely whines more than most.

And the more I read on AZB, the more I understand that this newsgroup is filled with nothing but moaning whiners who can’t do anything productive themselves, so they try to feel better by posting idiotic shit on a forum to make themselves feel better.

Go sit in your corner, drink your beer, and make fun of the league players. Whatever strokes your ego, Alice.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly right! APA doesn’t really give a crap about the higher skill level players. Their bread and butter is SL4s and below.

That's not a completely bad thing. It's human nature to not want to get your brains beat in the first time you pick up a cue. But they need better players to guide some of these players, after all they need a lot of fives to be team captains.

I would propose that they get rid of the 23 rule and simply use a rule that limits the hadicap difference of any particular matchup. Make it so a 3 doesn't have to play an 8. Maybe for 12345 its one skill level high or low 6789 maybe two levels high or low or maybe two and three respectively. They could stand behind their handicapping system. The 23 rule is unnecessary if handicaps are correct.

But maybe it's a problem they don't want or need to solve.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And there's a reason for this. The APA is ultimately meant to be a recreational league for people to have FUN and compete at a game they enjoy.

But the vast majority of APA players treat the league, the session, each match, etc. like they're playing in some major competitive event like a World Championship. I played APA for several years and I did it because 1) I was in the poolhall anyway (I played all the time) and, 2) my brother-in-law needed a high rated player for his team.

It never ceased to amaze me just how seriously people took a rec league. In the end, it was a MAJOR factor as to why I left the league completely. I loved pool. Still do. 8 Ball isn't exactly my favorite but... it was pool. It was fun. There I was a 7 playing alongside 3s, 4s, and 5s who acted like pool was life and the APA was the blood running through our veins.

Its a recreational league people. If you truly do hate it, quit and move the _____ on.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Go sit in your corner, drink your beer, and make fun of the league players. Whatever strokes your ego, Alice.

Ooh, excellent defense of your life partner.
My post had nothing to do with my ego. Go learn to read, drink your SunnyD, and quote more people you don't understand. Whatever heals your feelings.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’d love to .. I think masters is the best league format I’ve played. Sadly we can’t get enough teams in my area to make it work.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the APA is unfair.
If the APA league operators cheat.
If the APA team captains cheat.
If all the complaints about the APA are fact............(and I have no clue if they are or not)
Then just quit the APA.
As a famous movie actor said once to a guy who was whining about the bar serving watered down whiskey...."If the stuff is watered down, then you're kinda' dumb to be drinking here aren't you?"

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
And there's a reason for this. The APA is ultimately meant to be a recreational league for people to have FUN and compete at a game they enjoy.

But the vast majority of APA players treat the league, the session, each match, etc. like they're playing in some major competitive event like a World Championship. I played APA for several years and I did it because 1) I was in the poolhall anyway (I played all the time) and, 2) my brother-in-law needed a high rated player for his team.

It never ceased to amaze me just how seriously people took a rec league. In the end, it was a MAJOR factor as to why I left the league completely. I loved pool. Still do. 8 Ball isn't exactly my favorite but... it was pool. It was fun. There I was a 7 playing alongside 3s, 4s, and 5s who acted like pool was life and the APA was the blood running through our veins.

Its a recreational league people. If you truly do hate it, quit and move the _____ on.

A sport (or game) is meant to be competitive, otherwise what’s the point of matching two people (or two teams) against each other.
I’m totally down for league night being fun, that’s the major reason I still play in the APA after 17 years of involvement.
If you don’t have a reason to win, why play at all. I want my players to be “in it to win it”. I want to see some passion in their play.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I’d love to .. I think masters is the best league format I’ve played. Sadly we can’t get enough teams in my area to make it work.

Our league area is the same way. They tried teams for a session but couldn’t get enough players to commit to have a decent size division.
Now we do singles play and the top two players of the two sessions played qualify for Vegas.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
A sport (or game) is meant to be competitive, otherwise what’s the point of matching two people (or two teams) against each other.
I’m totally down for league night being fun, that’s the major reason I still play in the APA after 17 years of involvement.
If you don’t have a reason to win, why play at all. I want my players to be “in it to win it”. I want to see some passion in their play.

Not everyone is that competitive or feels the same way you do. Some just want a night
out in a social environment, winning or losing is inconsequential. They never practice,
there's no real effort to improve, they just like being out. It's not anything they think about
past midnight on league night. Next year they move on to darts, or bowling, or softball.
The game and result means nothing, it's a fun social time, that was the goal.
These people find teams and friends that suit them, probably not on your team, but you find
like minded people that fill out your team. They practice, they think, they try to win and they
care how it ends. For them the social setting is 3rd or 4th on the list, or lower. I think in the
APA there is room for both of you

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not everyone is that competitive or feels the same way you do. Some just want a night
out in a social environment, winning or losing is inconsequential. They never practice,
there's no real effort to improve, they just like being out. It's not anything they think about
past midnight on league night. Next year they move on to darts, or bowling, or softball.
The game and result means nothing, it's a fun social time, that was the goal.
These people find teams and friends that suit them, probably not on your team, but you find
like minded people that fill out your team. They practice, they think, they try to win and they
care how it ends. For them the social setting is 3rd or 4th on the list, or lower. I think in the
APA there is room for both of you

That is one of the main reasons I stay away from leagues.

I play to "WIN" and I expect the rest of the team to do the same.

Also, I expect everybody on the team to pay attention to the table and not be standing around BSing and playing on their phone when their opponent is at the table.

Social hour can be held AFTER we destroy our opponents. We consumed our share of "beverages" during the league, but we remained focused on the "objective".

FWIW, I only played BCA for two years when I lived in Grand Forks, ND many moons ago. We won the championship two years in a row. I had the highest rating and highest statistics for the league both years.

Last edited: