Production Cue you Swear By.....

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seemed to remember reading a few threads like this from a while back, many suggested Players, but no mention now, I am guessing mezz is just head and shoulders above players cues, or maybe I am recollecting budget production cues threads...

Anyways congrats on the purchase, hope you love it

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally Palmer

90% of the time I shoot with a Palmer although I own a few other vintage production cues I like very much: Biagio and -RICH-.

IMO, people are missing-out by not paying more attention to vintage cues.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I seemed to remember reading a few threads like this from a while back, many suggested Players, but no mention now, I am guessing mezz is just head and shoulders above players cues, or maybe I am recollecting budget production cues threads...

Anyways congrats on the purchase, hope you love it

Yes you are right, there were a bunch of threads a while back that amounted to pretty much a pissing contest about how great Schmelke is.

That's why I started my thread with the opener of "time for another......" :grin:

Maybe those threads were different, and the budgets may have been adjusted.

For the record, before I landed on the Mezz, I seriously almost locked into a $95 players. So there's that! :)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I seemed to remember reading a few threads like this from a while back, many suggested Players, but no mention now,

I think Players cues are the default cues mentioned when someone is looking for an "inexpensive" cue (maybe under$200). I have had a few (for my home wall rack) and out of that few, I got one really nice hitting merry widow cue with a SS brass-piloted joint for under $75. I am not parting ways with it anytime soon.

Congrats OP on your choice of cue. Now go out and darken your local pool hall. :D

Maniac

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you are right, there were a bunch of threads a while back that amounted to pretty much a pissing contest about how great Schmelke is.

That's why I started my thread with the opener of "time for another......" :grin:

Maybe those threads were different, and the budgets may have been adjusted.

For the record, before I landed on the Mezz, I seriously almost locked into a $95 players. So there's that! :)

For the record, my daily player right now is a predator roadline 5 LE with a revo shaft.

Having said ^^^^^^^^^: I've put my revo shaft on a players brand butt and it played every bit as well. I've also put my revo on a Mezz butt, a Josey butt, a TS butt, a black boar and a few other higher end butts and the players brand butt that was $150ish played as well as any of them.

The ONLY reason I play the roadline5 is because my wife bought it for me as an anniversary gift.

Bling is the only difference in the extremely high end cue butt when compared to a $150-$200 players butt.

Modern technology removed the once huge gap between production and custom cues.

Regardless of what cues we use, as long as we use the same one long enough, we eventually adjust to them and to us, well, that particular cue will be the cue we reccomend to everyone unless we have enough experience to know better.

Congrats on the new cue.

Jeff

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon

If you choose low deflection shafts then it probably does not matter what the butt is. But if you want to stay with maple I suggest a Schon for a few reasons. They seem to hold their value and there are a million shafts out there for them both Schon production and after market.

I have almost always played with a Schon but have tried everything from cheap to some high dollar stuff. Always went back to Schon. A few years ago I went to Jacoby Hybrid shafts and then went to a Cuetec CF shaft when those came out.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon was and may still be the best of the production cues

Almost every good player has at one time played with a schon

During my most active playing,I played with a schon for over 5 years(same cue)

I owned hundreds of the famous and custom cues,but I played with my schon in every big game

Gilbert Martinez was playing for a living and explained to me
why he needed the cue more than i did

I agreed and sold him my favorite cue for $300

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I tried a friends $300 Poison cue and was amazed at how good it felt. I could do anything with it I could with my Predator or Becue.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am confused. How could this be Jeff ? Is your REVO a 5/16x18 Uni-Loc 5/16 x 14 Wavy combo joint ?

For the record, my daily player right now is a predator roadline 5 LE with a revo shaft.

Having said ^^^^^^^^^: I've put my revo shaft on a players brand butt and it played every bit as well. I've also put my revo on a Mezz butt, a Josey butt, a TS butt, a black boar and a few other higher end butts and the players brand butt that was $150ish played as well as any of them.

The ONLY reason I play the roadline5 is because my wife bought it for me as an anniversary gift.

Bling is the only difference in the extremely high end cue butt when compared to a $150-$200 players butt.

Modern technology removed the once huge gap between production and custom cues.

Regardless of what cues we use, as long as we use the same one long enough, we eventually adjust to them and to us, well, that particular cue will be the cue we reccomend to everyone unless we have enough experience to know better.

Congrats on the new cue.

Jeff

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with a Helmstetter 87-14 for over 30 years. Hits great and both shafts are as straight as they come.
Roscoe

helm4b.JPG

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joss cues starting at 350$ are great cues.
Mezz cues are also very good choice, but I would not recommend entry level models, they don't play so good like a a bit expensive one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joss cues starting at 350$ are great cues.
Mezz cues are also very good choice, but I would not recommend entry level models, they don't play so good like a a bit expensive one.
NEVER heard that about Mezz cues. The higher-end ones are fancier that's about it. Same joints, shafts, cores, tapers. That makes no sense. The Exceeds are super nice but don't play any better.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have around 30 production cues from almost all brands: Mezz (4), Schon (2), McDermott (3), Meucci (4), Joss (1), Players (4), Lucasi (2), Pure-X (3-4), Pechauer (1), Predator (1), Viking (3), Cuetec (1)...and have even more shafts that pair up for each.

Hate to repeat the saying, but it really comes down to what you are looking for...value? build quality? hit/feel? etc. It really depends on price range too.

Out of all my cues, the only ones I don't ever see myself being able to sell at this point are:
- Mezz EC7-R1 (w/ EX-Pro)
- Mezz Axi-155 (w/ WX900)
- McDermott G513 (w/ G-Core 12.25mm)
- Joss 44 (w/ standard maple Joss shaft)
- Meucci SWBB2 (w/ 30" Meucci UW)
- Schon Ltd (w/ 30" Jacoby Ultra Pro 11.75mm)

Last edited:

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I have around 30 production cues from almost all brands: Mezz (4), Schon (2), McDermott (3), Meucci (4), Joss (1), Players (4), Lucasi (2), Pure-X (3-4), Pechauer (1), Predator (1), Viking (3), Cuetec (1)...and have even more shafts that pair up for each.

Hate to repeat the saying, but it really comes down to what you are looking for...value? build quality? hit/feel? etc. It really depends on price range too.

Out of all my cues, the only ones I don't ever see myself being able to sell at this point are:
- Mezz EC7-R1 (w/ EX-Pro)
- Mezz Axi-157 (w/ WX900)
- McDermott G513 (w/ G-Core 12.25mm)
- Joss 44 (w/ standard maple Joss shaft)
- Meucci SWBB2 (w/ 30" Meucci UW)
- Schon Ltd (w/ 30" Jacoby Ultra Pro 11.75mm)

Very well said post, J.

It depends on what is being sought. In this instance I think J2pac summed it up. I'm looking for a well hitting tournament killer.

Value held isn't a main concern - a genuine "player"

In regards to what someone else said about staying away from lower end models, I'll agree with that if you've reached a certain level IMO.
In my opinion, you can tell the difference when trying to stroke certain shots.... whether you stroke with a Players or a top end custom..... maybe it's just me but I seriously doubt it:thumbup:

As far as mixing butts with better shafts, absolutely. Not opposed to the idea at all. I went with a $65 players shaft for my Palmer, in order to keep the original shaft from taking any more damage in it's 25yr existence (warped, cracked ferrule, sanded on for decades)

I absolutely loved the Poison Bolt models!! I picked my last one up from a website in Canada that had one left over in a warehouse I guess. The Poison Bolt2 and Bolt4 were fantastic for me, and I'm sad they keep discontinuing older models. Some of the newer models look just awful and gimmicky, even though they may play just the same.