Radial switch to 3/8x10

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything is possible but could be cheaper and wiser to buy another shaft :)

Mario

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike. What about removing a, 5/16 x 18 shaft insert, and tapping it out to a 3/8 x 10 pin? Would it still have to be plugged and tapped?

Eddie

Hi Eddie
Yes Sir. I prefer to bore the insert out. You could drill it out but if the bit locks , the shaft can spin in the collet leaving a burn mark. 1/2" plug works great for both. Snug fit the plug with good epoxy if it's not threaded.

JC

Coos Cues
Hi Mike. What about removing a, 5/16 x 18 shaft insert, and tapping it out to a 3/8 x 10 pin? Would it still have to be plugged and tapped?

Eddie

The OD of the insert is larger than the bore required for 3/8 10 threads, commonly 7/16 14, so you would have to plug it after removing the brass insert before threading it to 3/8 10.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bore the insert out, plug with whatever you prefer. Thread the plug if you have the capability, if not make a snug fit and som glue relief lines.
WOUvuRW.jpg

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OD of the insert is larger than the bore required for 3/8 10 threads, commonly 7/16 14, so you would have to plug it after removing the brass insert before threading it to 3/8 10.

Just curious if the glue, (thinking about Gorilla glue) and a couple of wooden shims wouldn't swell enough to take up that 1/16 of an inch? I'm sure that's not the way a Professional Cue Builder would build a cue.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if the glue, (thinking about Gorilla glue) and a couple of wooden shims wouldn't swell enough to take up that 1/16 of an inch? I'm sure that's not the way a Professional Cue Builder would build a cue.

Well, it just doesn't sound like a good idea but then you could say I'am a Pro :) Cue builder so I tend to dislike fudging things when they could be done correctly.

You've been given the correct way to do it, if you can't, best give it to someone qualified or buy a new shaft. Please don't take my response personally is not meant to be.

Mario

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it just doesn't sound like a good idea but then you could say I'am a Pro :) Cue builder so I tend to dislike fudging things when they could be done correctly.

You've been given the correct way to do it, if you can't, best give it to someone qualified or buy a new shaft. Please don't take my response personally is not meant to be.

Mario

No Sir, I don't. I appreciate feedback from the Professional Cue Builders, and those who are very knowledgeable. Thanks Mario

Eddie