Cuebox : pool game in Real 3D (no gravity)

dkorczakk

Registered
Hi guys,

I’m working on a mobile game that is 3D version of billiards.
It’s played in real three dimensions without gravity. The balls are floating inside a box instead of a flat table. I’d be glad for some feedback.
What do you think about this idea?

Cuebox is available on the App Store
Check out my brand new Cuebox Page
You can find more screenshots and updates on Facebook

Gameplay Trailer :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MRjCojhaZA

Here are some screenshots:
4kvw.png

mgc5.png

bf2o.png

8ji0.png

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that it looks like it will be a lot of fun. How do you model the friction between balls and collisions? As long as they all stopped and bounced the same way, just in all 3 dimensions, I think this would be something I'd get.

My son likes to play on my Android phone all the time as we're driving to league, he'd love to play this.

I am not sure about the name though. Maybe just 3D Pool, but I'd guess that's taken. Or 4D pool since you have 3D images and with one more play dimension. Or Boxed In Pool.

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
How would using English work? Can you move the cue ball straight up in the air or does it have to go straight forward and bounce off of a rail to get where you want it?

Since you are playing in a box with no plane then does the English make the cue ball change direction after it hits the rail or does it just bounce off and go in the direction you hit it into the rail?

This game looks like a load of fun.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I’m working on a mobile game that is 3D version of billiards.
It’s played in real three dimensions without gravity. The balls are floating inside a box instead of a flat table. I’d be glad for some feedback.
What do you think about this concept?

Here are some screenshots:

4kvw.png

mgc5.png

bf2o.png

8ji0.png

Looks very cool and freaky and gives new meaning to aiming. Would love to try it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
This actually looks fun. I've tried every pool game there is and they all bore me to death and few, if any, really feel like playing pool. Therefore, might as well go in the opposite direction and just make something fun.

I like your concept -- keep it up.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...the ultimate 'ram' shot..

break the balls and wait for all the collisions, rebounds, and general chaos..the clak-clak sounds might be like a humongous jiffy-pop popcorn crescendo..then wane.

wouldn't all balls go given enough time and forgiving pocket size?

...thin the 2, and sent cb 128 walls for shape on the 3..

strange..I like it.:thumbup:

dkorczakk

Registered
Thanks for the feedback.

hang-the-9 : yeah, it works the similar way, I cannot say it's the same because there is surface that the ball are touching all the time. The force making the balls stop mid-air is close to hydro resistance. In short i made it that the balls slow down like on the classic table.

Allen brown: Angular velocity doesn't have any significant impact on the direction after hitting the rail. I've considered including that and might make some modifications in the future.

Russ Prince: Thanks for the info, I will check it out

I'm gonna post some more screens later. I have many themes prepared but will have place to put only 3-4 in the mobile version so i'd like to get some feedback on them.

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hardest part was always gauging the distances of the balls to the sidewalls. I like your ghost ball projection (which allows you to not HAVE to be directly behind the ball to aim) and the trajectory arrows, my suggestion would be to make them on all the time but maybe just limit how far the arrows reach just like how "8 ball pool" does it's projection lines.

Also you should be able to switch from an aiming mode to a camera move mode. what i mean is you should be able to move the screen around which is changing your aiming line and than also be able to switch to a camera mode where your aim line is locked and you can swing the camera around without changing the aim. that way you could observe your projection line(s) from any angle. you may already have this as I see icons for lock and camera which may be doing what I'm talking about...

Last edited:

dkorczakk

Registered
Thanks for the suggestions RussPrince . Almost everything you said is already done. The trajectory arrows have few options (separate for every player - this enabled handicap) with different length or behaviour after they hit the rai/wall. (whether the line bounces of the wall) There is an option to freeze camera, after clicking the lock button aiming direction freezes and you can rotate around without changing the shot direction. Above that you can still aim in this mode using arrows… and i just realised you've guessed that in the last sentence;)

Last edited:

dkorczakk

Registered
I have some themes prepared but i won’t be able to put all of them in the game (at least not in the first version). Can you give me some feedback on them ?

Classic:
qyp5.png

Noble:
ae5t.png

Blue:
9zz9.png

Concrete:
5nft.png

Minimalism:
ov6i.png

Hot Chilli:
j2r8.png

dkorczakk

Registered
I'm looking for Android tablet testers, i can give you guys a free access to the game before it's released. If anyone is interested post here.

dkorczakk

Registered
RussPrince : i've sent you a pm

Btw..
I’ve just found a prototype i’ve made probabyly around march : it’s kinda funny :p Pockets are my favourites ;)

0iez.png

86j0.png

dkorczakk

Registered
Here's an image that shows the progress after 8 months of making the game . If you look closely you can notice some small improvements ;)

cuebox_march_november.jpg