Shaft comparison

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can you compare a Revo thats not custom fit to a cue too a custom fit compression shaft from Dennis Searing ? Just have trouble believing a stock off the shelf CF shaft can compare.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They really are different things. A really nice wood shaft is nice for reasons other than the ones that make the Revo nice. You really need to hit a bunch of balls with the Revo to appreciate what makes it desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can you compare a Revo thats not custom fit to a cue too a custom fit compression shaft from Dennis Searing ? Just have trouble believing a stock off the shelf CF shaft can compare.

Having owned my share of Searing cues I can say the revo performs every bit as well.

Now, I do not think the current revo or ANY other CF shaft/cue will compare to the feel and sound of a Searing cue or the like. Not to mention, resale value in years to come.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit quite a few balls with the Revo and it , to me, is the best of all low deflection shafts. You can actually hit a ball that you swear you have missed and it goes in. I know that using it would raise my game a ball or so but yet it is not for me. I just picked up a new Brazilian Rosewood cue from JoeyInCali and the shaft has so much sugar in it that you think that the butt must be diabetic. But the deflection is minimal and the hit just feels soooo good that I will gladly give up a ball better just for the satisfaction it gives me. But that is just me.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
They really are different things. A really nice wood shaft is nice for reasons other than the ones that make the Revo nice. You really need to hit a bunch of balls with the Revo to appreciate what makes it desirable.

Can you explain what reasons a realy nice wood shaft is nice and a Revo is nice and explain what makes them, compated to each other, a different kind of nice?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you explain what reasons a realy nice wood shaft is nice and a Revo is nice and explain what makes them, compated to each other, a different kind of nice?

I don't know. I'll give it a shot.

A high quality wood shafts offers many opportunities to appreciate the craft of pool cues. Wood is interesting and unique...each shaft is a natural thing with a personality, each one unique. The hit, feel, sound of a great shaft has a value unto itself. As GaryB said above, there is a joy in feeling how the shaft vibrates, sings! There is a connection to the cueball that is hard to put into words. That glorious ping when you hit the ball just right. It seems on the surface that these feelings might promote a more intuitive sort of game, possibly better speed control. The feeling of "working" the ball successfully just delivers such satisfaction.

The Revo performance is amazing. First, the energy transfer is noticeably better than really any wood shaft I've felt. It simply seems like less effort is required to move the cueball. That type of shot where you have a ball like a balls width off the side rail 3 diamonds up from the corner pocket and you got nearly straight on it, but you need to drill it in and punch straight across the table...man it seems so effortless! Second, the deflection is crazy low. What's odd is that it feels like you can slow roll balls with lots of English more accurately. In any case, long shots just feel so pure, so easy. I think there is a satisfaction in the technology...I have a BK Rush and it just hits the ball so nicely...I love breaking and look forward to every break, even now after having it for a year. I think the ability to get a replacement shaft and have it be essentially identical is very valuable to me. It won't shrink or wear down, it stays clean and smooth, but even if it gets the least bit sticky a barely damp cloth makes it good as new in a second.

For me, I really think the Revo simply does a better job of being a pool cue shaft. Some may describe the feel as lifeless. That's exactly how I felt about the first Predator shafts that came out. Over time though, I came to associate a different feeling with the new performance I was seeing. I think the idea is that the feeling you get with the Revo is more about the contact with the cueball, and less about the shaft itself, and it's vibration.

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone. Obviously it does to me.

Hope it helps!

KMRUNOUT

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thing confuses me
I bought one Revo cue,it seemed to get more draw than I was used too,but I don't think I played better

i sold it and then all the talk convinced me to try again,just the shaft
same results so I ordered the 12.4 to tryit

I am trying all these on my schon that I love.

I also bought some different shafts Tascarella and Searing to try on my Schon
I liked the Schon shafts better

Now I know this is subjective,I asked Jack Potter,a good player and former cue
maker to examine the shafts and 2 Runde shafts as well

Jack thought the Runde shafts seemed to be the best ,better wood stuff like and saw nothing special
about the Tascarella or Searing shafts,neither did I

I think Tascarella cues play good,but the shaft was not my favorite in my test
or the expert opinion I got

I did want South West to make me some shafts but time to get them prevented me>
This would have really put me to a hard decision because I have such a high opinion of
south west cues,particularly their shafts

The question "how do you compare one to another" got my attention
because the only way I could think of was to get each and hit balls
that is all I knew to try

Oh yes,Larry Vigus is promising to make me a couple of shafts to try
as well,I have always liked his shafts, on his cues

Last edited:

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Having played with custom cues/matching shafts and now having played with a few CF shafts I'd say it is like trying to compare apples to bell peppers, I like them both but they are a lot different. I think there are a lot of variables as well, I've played/hit balls with a few different CF shafts now and believe as more hit the market similar to a custom cue makers shaft or various LD makers wood shafts, tapers and other things come into play. I had purchased a REVO 12.4, played with it for about an hour and handed it off to a friend to try for about a week, I did not like the sound and that it had a dead feel to me. When my friend handed it back I sold it and went back to my regular cues/shafts.

Recently I picked up a Becue CF shaft, I like the feel of it better than I did the Revo but it lacks the feel I get from my solid maple shafts. I've played with the Becue now for a few weeks and will most likely keep it but I think I'll be going back to my regular cues/shafts to play with.

I believe that the LD or CF shafts serve a purpose and don't knock them or anyone that swears by them I think what ever you play and are used to, enjoy it!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What does "custom fit" do for you?

pj
chgo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And while you're at it, what's a "compression shaft"?

Another word that was used as a "selling point".... compression.

I bought it anyways. To me, the compression shafts that I've used are nothing more than a quality piece of wood.

For the life of me, I cannot remember why he called it a compression shaft.

On the other hand, I do remember being charged extra.... lol.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would assume he means the size, taper, etc are fit to his liking?

Also curious what "compression shaft" means.

KMRUNOUT

It's a compression fit pilot, so the pilot fits tightly in the joint collar when you screw it on.

For example: My Stroud shafts for my Joss are compression fit piloted 5/16x14.

Compression fit obviously does not apply to a flat faced joint, only to piloted joints.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can you compare a Revo thats not custom fit to a cue too a custom fit compression shaft from Dennis Searing ?

Simple. Get both. Try them side by side.

Don't get one, sell it, then get the other.

Compare.

Post.

:wink:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a compression fit pilot, so the pilot fits tightly in the joint collar when you screw it on.

For example: My Stroud shafts for my Joss are compression fit piloted 5/16x14.

Compression fit obviously does not apply to a flat faced joint, only to piloted joints.

Ahmm, now...... that rings a bell.

Although, it was also extremely high-end shaft wood. It appears it had absolutely nothing to do with it be a compression shaft.

Sometimes we just never know until were told...... even then, we forget or at least I do.

Wait!, what was we talking about? Oh yeah, that's right....hmmm.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I told you how I compared them.
I bought some of each and tried one after another

I was with Verl Horn at the cue club in las vegas
one day,a fella looked at a few of Verl's cues one after another

Pointing to one after another perceived faults,finally Verl said
what do you expect this is a custom hand made cue,of course
you will find imperfections

If you want a perfect cue buy a Schon from Dean

He did

At first I got a laugh out of the whole thing,then Evan Clark
asked me a series of questions,something like this

Say a fella,a genius,a talented mechanical marvel decides to draw up plans and build
a perfect car.He draws up what an axle should be,then tries to build it right and so on down
through the 10,000 parts

It is his first try,then ford motor company hires thousands of different experts to build each
part,after years of experimentation you would see almost every part improve

Now which car would you expect to be the best?
if you said the one made through the assembly line ,you guessed right

we see it every day

Even when a genius gets an old hot rod he buys parts from the original

I have the idea you expected the searing to be better than the revo,I didn't

You probably thought the Searing would be superior to my stock Schon shaft.

i would have kept it if it had been better.

I don't deal with schon anymore so I am not playing favorites

I bought Tascarella,Searing Revo to try and compare,i liked the Schon best

"Oh but you don't know squat and can't make a ball",says you.

True,but I do make more with the Schon

So I had Jack Potter do the same test and more.
He agreed with my findings,plus he looked at the wood and stuff
and thought the Runde shafts were best of the lot

All I want is a cue that I play my best with

Now I have tried other great cues too,and this comparison surprised me

i might trade my Schon for a Searing,but only because i could sell it for more

I am not trying to say that it is stupid to buy an expensive cue
there are a lot of good reasons to buy a Vigus,a South West,Szamboti,
Mottey,White,Bob Owen,Drexler ,Rauenzahn

I have most of these on order

These guys are the ones that I like to play with
I have tested these over and over

I bought the Revo because I am still testing,
I have a 12.4 Revo on order the 12.9 was not for me

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I told you how I compared them.
I bought some of each and tried one after another

I was with Verl Horn at the cue club in las vegas
one day,a fella looked at a few of Verl's cues one after another

Pointing to one after another perceived faults,finally Verl said
what do you expect this is a custom hand made cue,of course
you will find imperfections

If you want a perfect cue buy a Schon from Dean

He did

At first I got a laugh out of the whole thing,then Evan Clark
asked me a series of questions,something like this

Say a fella,a genius,a talented mechanical marvel decides to draw up plans and build
a perfect car.He draws up what an axle should be,then tries to build it right and so on down through the 10,000 parts

It is his first try,then ford motor company hires thousands of different experts to build each part,after years of experimentation you would see almost every part improve

Now which car would you expect to be the best?
if you said the one made through the assembly line ,you guessed right

we see it every day

Even when a genius gets an old hot rod he buys parts from the original

I have the idea you expected the searing to be better than the revo,I didn't

You probably thought the Searing would be superior to my stock Schon shaft.

i would have kept it if it had been better.

I don't deal with schon anymore so I am not playing favorites

I bought Tascarella,Searing revo to try and compare,i liked the schon best

Oh but you don't know squat and can't make a ball

True,but I do make more with the schon

But I had Jack potter do the same test and more.
rHe agreed with my findings,plus he looked at the wood and stuff I care less about

All I want is a cue that I play my best with

Now I have tried other great cues too,but this comparison surprised me

i might trade my Schon for a searing,but only because i could sell it for more money

It is all in the "hit" and "feel", Dean...not who makes it.

I have a McDermott C-14 that hits just about as good as any cue I ever played with and everybody who picks it up says the same thing.

People will say "McDermotts are production cues", mass produced...blah, blah, blah....

I just turned down $1500 for it a couple weeks ago. I have turned down that kind of money several times over the years, even before I had it refinished.

It is just a cue that somehow plays great and that is what I desire in a clue...playing great.

I could have took the $1500 and bought a "custom" from somebody, but there is no way I could ever guarantee it would hit better than the McDermott and there is no way the maker could guarantee his cue would hit better.

I have no doubt there are Schons that hit better than Searings. I have no doubt there are other production cues that hit as well as some of the big name custom cues. Each cue is different...just because there is a big name on it, doesn't mean there is a big hit on it...contrary to what everyone says on here when they are selling.

I've hit with plenty of custom cues that I thought sucked. I had one custom made by Richard Black that I sold when I played with the McDermott. The McDermott ran circles around it.

That doesn't mean Richard Black makes bad cues. It just means that one wasn't my cup of tea. The first cue Richard made for me was probably my best hitting cue.

Wood is wood...not every piece of wood is the same.

I would suggest keeping something if you think it hits good.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is all in the "hit" and "feel", Dean...not who makes it.

I have a McDermott C-14 that hits just about as good as any cue I ever played with and everybody who picks it up says the same thing.

People will say "McDermotts are production cues", mass produced...blah, blah, blah....

I just turned down $1500 for it a couple weeks ago. I have turned down that kind of money several times over the years, even before I had it refinished.

It is just a cue that somehow plays great and that is what I desire in a clue...playing great.

I could have took the $1500 and bought a "custom" from somebody, but there is no way I could ever guarantee it would hit better than the McDermott and there is no way the maker could guarantee his cue would hit better.

I have no doubt there are Schons that hit better than Searings. I have no doubt there are other production cues that hit as well as some of the big name custom cues. Each cue is different...just because there is a big name on it, doesn't mean there is a big hit on it...contrary to what everyone says on here when they are selling.

I've hit with plenty of custom cues that I thought sucked. I had one custom made by Richard Black that I sold when I played with the McDermott. The McDermott ran circles around it.

That doesn't mean Richard Black makes bad cues. It just means that one wasn't my cup of tea. The first cue Richard made for me was probably my best hitting cue.

Wood is wood...not every piece of wood is the same.

I would suggest keeping something if you think it hits good.

Well said!

An expensive cue is exactly that, an expensive cue, nothing more if it doesn't perform.

I will put the playability of a Becue Prime-M or Revo up against ANY cue on the planet.

Sure, we both know its nothing without a skilled player holding it but, I believe we both also know what out performs the rest.

Investment wise, sure, the BIG custom makers are great. For playability alone, well..... lol , no comparison.

Sorry big names and even bigger price tags.

Like some, I can afford ANYTHING cue wise but I choose the performance over looks and value ANY day.

And last but CERTAINLY not least. There are lots and lots of people that just are not able to take advantage of the new stuff. There, I said it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said!

An expensive cue is exactly that, an expensive cue, nothing more if it doesn't perform.

I will put the playability of a Becue Prime-M or Revo up against ANY cue on the planet.

Sure, we both know its nothing without a skilled player holding it but, I believe we both also know what out performs the rest.

Investment wise, sure, the BIG custom makers are great. For playability alone, well..... lol , no comparison.

Sorry big names and even bigger price tags.

Like some, I can afford ANYTHING cue wise but I choose the performance over looks and value ANY day.

And last but CERTAINLY not least. There are lots and lots of people that just are not able to take advantage of the new stuff. There, I said it.

I play with my Becue every week and, like you said, it will play with the best of cues by anybody.

There are a lot of people who own "high-end" custom cues who are "afraid" to admit that some of the newer production cues can play as well, or better, than their customs.

They don't want to say it because they are afraid their cues will lose value once everyone realizes that there are cheaper options that provide the same playability.

None of my customs were made to be "lookers". None of them have inlays or anything fancy. They are simple players made by custom makers.

Everybody talks about how much a REVO costs or a Becue. Custom shafts cost almost as much and I will guarantee they won't play any "better".

I want to get a new wood shaft made, but, after playing with the Becue, I think I may be disappointed with what I get. Not that it won't be a good, quality shaft...it's just that I don't think it will hit better than the Becue shaft.