Mosconi cup team

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on what I saw at the dream challenge, I’m assuming Corey is a lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well who's in ,Corey or Max? Europe has its team.
Hope its corey, just my opinion.
According to a press release from Matchroom Sport:

... Corey Deuel and Max Eberle will battle it out for the fifth and final place on the team, with Coach Ruijsink and Vice-Coach Jeremy Jones to make that decision after the International Open. ...

... so probably around November 3rd.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
According to a press release from Matchroom Sport:

... Corey Deuel and Max Eberle will battle it out for the fifth and final place on the team, with Coach Ruijsink and Vice-Coach Jeremy Jones to make that decision after the International Open. ...

... so probably around November 3rd.

Are they gonna battle it out or are the coaches making a decision? I’d like a battle. It sounds like they’re just choosing though based on the int open finishes. Which is sort of battling it out I guess.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why not play a match between them to see who gets the last spot, say three out of five sets, each set a race to five. Probably won't happen, just a thought.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not play a match between them to see who gets the last spot, say three out of five sets, each set a race to five. Probably won't happen, just a thought.

Who knows. That could be happening too. I could see them doing that but choosing not to broadcast it to avoid showing any weaknesses.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey could soft-break and Max could regale us with tales of the Earth's flatness. ;)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be cool to see Max under the lights. He’s paid his dues.....twice!

Either way, let’s just win!!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Max has looked much more capable in competing with the top Europeans of late than Corey, and unlike the original poster, I'd be shocked if Deuel got the nod here.

I'm starting to get a bit disillusioned with the whole process, though.

As he did last year, Chamat chose to leave the guy who was by far the best player on his previous team. In 2018, he omitted Josh Filler, who had gone 5-0 in the 2017 Mosconi. Filler won the world 9-ball championship within two weeks of that omission. Last year, Europe's best player by a mile was Albin Ouschan, so it stands to reason he will be omitted this year. Gorst had a comparable year to Feijen competitively, but won the European 9-ball Championship, beating Josh Filler in the final. Remarkably, this event carried no Mosconi ranking points or Gorst would have been ranked #2 and qualified automatically. Mosconi selection is starting to look like a popularity contest.

Deuel, who was by far the weakest member of Team USA, has struggled mightily against the top Europeans, especially at the US Open where he lost 11-1 to Jayson Shaw and 11-2 to Mieszko Fortunski.

I've noted it before but I'll say it again. Barring an impressive effort at the 2019 International next week, if Deuel makes the team off an effort as poor as the he has given of late, I'll conclude that the inclusion of Max Eberle, Justin Bergman, and Chris Robinson and Makhael Parris in the process was merely for show, and that other Team USA hopefuls going forward will have every reason to believe that selection is a practically unattainable goal.

Let's hope the selection is based on merit rather than popularity.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max’s outcomes looked better on paper in the Dream Challenge. I think that was simply him getting away with his mistakes. I think he can play at that level but I don’t think his nerves are ready for the world stage.

When Corey had a runout it was clean all the way through. When Max had a runout his cueball was a bit wild. It was his shotmaking that got him through it with recovery shots that never got him back into ideal angles. He clearly was struggling with getting his adrenaline under control. I don’t feel the Mosconi lights would bring out his A game.

But I put that out there with humility knowing I’m not the most qualified to make that assessment.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max has looked much more capable in competing with the top Europeans of late than Corey, and unlike the original poster, I'd be shocked if Deuel got the nod here.

I'm starting to get a bit disillusioned with the whole process, though.

As he did last year, Chamat chose to leave the guy who was by far the best player on his previous team. In 2018, he omitted Josh Filler, who had gone 5-0 in the 2017 Mosconi. Filler won the world 9-ball championship within two weeks of that omission. Last year, Europe's best player by a mile was Albin Ouschan, so it stands to reason he will be omitted this year. Gorst had a comparable year to Feijen competitively, but won the European 9-ball Championship, beating Josh Filler in the final. Remarkably, this event carried no Mosconi ranking points or Gorst would have been ranked #2 and qualified automatically. Mosconi selection is starting to look like a popularity contest.

Deuel, who was by far the weakest member of Team USA, has struggled mightily against the top Europeans, especially at the US Open where he lost 11-1 to Jayson Shaw and 11-2 to Mieszko Fortunski.

I've noted it before but I'll say it again. Barring an impressive effort at the 2019 International next week, if Deuel makes the team off an effort as poor as the he has given of late, I'll conclude that the inclusion of Max Eberle, Justin Bergman, and Chris Robinson and Makhael Parris in the process was merely for show, and that other Team USA hopefuls going forward will have every reason to believe that selection is a practically unattainable goal.

Let's hope the selection is based on merit rather than popularity.

Totally agree.
This is a Matchroom invitational event.
In the early years it was predominantly 'names' and snooker players that got the invites.
But more recently they have set out a rankings system/selection process, although imo still slightly flawed, to obtain an invite.
This was definitely a step in the right direction and gave them more credibility amongst true pool fans.
Now they appear to be going back to their old ways of doing it on marketability/popularity.
It's their event. So Matchroom can do whatever they want (as they always do).
But I wish they were more honest and open about it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Totally agree.
This is a Matchroom invitational event.
In the early years it was predominantly 'names' and snooker players that got the invites.
But more recently they have set out a rankings system/selection process, although imo still slightly flawed, to obtain an invite.
This was definitely a step in the right direction and gave them more credibility amongst true pool fans.
Now they appear to be going back to their old ways of doing it on marketability/popularity.
It's their event. So Matchroom can do whatever they want (as they always do).
But I wish they were more honest and open about it.

Matchroom will be going after high TV Ratings next year. Slated to represent Team USA will be Earl, Dennis Hatch, Danny Harriman, John Schmidt and Alex Pagulayan (it will now be called Team America!).

I can't wait! :grin:

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom will be going after high TV Ratings next year. Slated to represent Team USA will be Earl, Dennis Hatch, Danny Harriman, John Schmidt and Alex Pagulayan (it will now be called Team America!).

I look forward to that! :smile::grin:

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max vs Corey

I would enjoy watching a head to head match, but the only thing that would prove is Max beat Corey, or Corey beat Max for any given set(s).

That match wouldn't factor how well they each would do against the "field" of Euro's picked for their team.

I am sure Johann and Jeremy will take into consideration as much as possible and still meet Matchroom's desired end result. It is a show with world class talent and I expect it to be close again this year.

Me? Go Max

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I would enjoy watching a head to head match, but the only thing that would prove is Max beat Corey, or Corey beat Max for any given set(s).

That match wouldn't factor how well they each would do against the "field" of Euro's picked for their team.

I am sure Johann and Jeremy will take into consideration as much as possible and still meet Matchroom's desired end result. It is a show with world class talent and I expect it to be close again this year.

Me? Go Max

Well said. If how they have played against Europe's best doesn't matter to Johan, then he can go either way here.

Let's face it, either Max or Corey would rate to be Team USA's weakest member, but Max has earned the spot more than Corey.

Of course, I'd love it if Deuel found his form again at the International next week and earned his spot.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This would make it mother of all Mosconi Cup matches :grin:
Mike Dechaine instead of Alex would bring it to shall we say another “level”