Not Much Betting On A $100,000 match

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely agree with your assessment of the betting line and how the games could easily be by a margin of 20 or more games. So can I assume you would give me 25 games and take Shane? Then we wouldn't be woofing we would be betting!

I'm not woofing at you or anyone. If I wanted action I'd start a thread in the action room or take what's there. I simply stated that your assessment of it's a closer match than 15+ games was irrelevant in terms of betting. I never stated it would be a runaway either direction, again, only stated reasons betting is low.

However, YOU said it'd be much closer than 15-25. So, even though I don't really care for action in this match I'll be damned if someone gonna call me out. So, you get Orcullo +10 (which is per your words closer than 15-25) for a few pennies or much more. We can discuss amount via pm if you're interested.

We can post up with someone we both trust or is trusted if you want action.

You read into my words about the line thinking I'm stating that Shane WILL win by that much. It's simply that's where (IMO) the line will have to be to get some bets down.

storke

One Pocket Player
Silver Member
You are correct I misunderstood your implication and now understand your position thanks for clarifying and sorry for my assumption.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
20 games on the wire sounds like a lot, but consider that it's the same as giving 2 games on the wire in a race to 15.

That being said, you don't really have to like it from either side, so it might be the right spot. That's about the spread you would expect from Shane's typically higher break and run stat.

Last edited:

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Mars involved, no funny money. The bet is a cool $50,000.

that's not the side where the funny stuff would come into play......and the money isn't posted yet, so its too early to tell but I will bet something funny happens :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
50-50 this match comes off as advertised. That's my assessment right now. If it does go off (maybe 25K per man is more accurate), then I think Dennis needs at least 20 games on the wire going to 160. Shane might coast a little with a big lead. I'm laying off this one too.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The advertising says pro-cut diamond table. The break will be too easy for Shane on this table.

Looking at the ppv page, this looks like a show more than a real pool match. Kinda like manny pacquiao vs mayweather.

Nothing but buttons to charge buyers, $30 full match, 15/day, $25/day general admission, 100 VIP seating per day.

Maybe that was the intent to making this a long long race to 160, 4 days match.

I'd enjoy much more a mixture of matches like the DCC 9b final day.

But I guess this match is needed to prove who is better at 10b, shane or dennis.

Last edited:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The advertising says pro-cut diamond table. The break will be too easy for Shane on this table.

Looking at the ppv page, this looks like a show more than a real pool match. Kinda like manny pacquiao vs mayweather.

Nothing but buttons to charge buyers, $30 full match, 15/day, $25/day general admission, 100 VIP seating per day.

Maybe that was the intent to making this a long long race to 160, 4 days match.

I'd enjoy much more a mixture of matches like the DCC 9b final day.

But I guess this match is needed to prove who is better at 10b, shane or dennis.
$30 to watch two of the greatest players in history race to 160. That's the best $30 I'll spend all year.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see Shane and Dennis play a 7 ahead set of 1p for 10K. Watching Shane running out at 40% in 10b has gotten too monotonous. In a tournament setting it gets exciting, but a long long race, not as much.

Both has won U.S open 1p titles.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The match is far too long to be watchable and that surely figures in the absence of some side action.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just going off of reputation , I'd have to imagine if Shane / Mars involved everything is on the up & up. I couldn't bet it but I honestly think Shane will be winners by 30+. I'm feeling the first day may be close, but with the bad blood once Shane gets settled in he will hit the afterburner and that will be it. Shane ----160 to 112

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Who the hell wanted to play this race to 160? To me it makes no sense at all. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just going off of reputation , I'd have to imagine if Shane / Mars involved everything is on the up & up. I couldn't bet it but I honestly think Shane will be winners by 30+. I'm feeling the first day may be close, but with the bad blood once Shane gets settled in he will hit the afterburner and that will be it. Shane ----160 to 112

It would have made more sense and been far more interesting if they had played the best of three disciplines like Ten Ball, One Pocket and Banks. Even if they played games like Eight Ball or Straight Pool, Dennis' chances are far greater. JMHO as always.
Why should Dennis punish himself playing Shane's best game only? At One Pocket or Banks Dennis is no longer the underdog.

Rateking

King Lurker
1. Mars never said he was staking this match, he only said there was going to be 100k in the middle.

2. Word from people at Derby, French and Dennis had a big falling out at Derby when French tricked Dennis into signing a contract giving himself (French) half of everything Dennis earns everywhere he plays including tournaments. He told Dennis it was just for video sales. Dennis had a friend look at it. Yeah that will hold up in court.

3. Word also says both player were supposed to get paid a sizeable appearance fee which French and Upstream were going to chop up from the stream and door sales.

4. SVB has reportedly told people he was staking himself.

I think Im going to sit this one out.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
1. Mars never said he was staking this match, he only said there was going to be 100k in the middle.

2. Word from people at Derby, French and Dennis had a big falling out at Derby when French tricked Dennis into signing a contract giving himself (French) half of everything Dennis earns everywhere he plays including tournaments. He told Dennis it was just for video sales. Dennis had a friend look at it. Yeah that will hold up in court.

3. Word also says both player were supposed to get paid a sizeable appearance fee which French and Upstream were going to chop up from the stream and door sales.

4. SVB has reportedly told people he was staking himself.

I think Im going to sit this one out.

Have the rest of his stable signed the same contract as Dennis. Nice guy this French :rolleyes:. Johnnyt

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Just curious why everybody thinks they should have a say in what these players play? If you don't want to watch, DON'T WATCH!
They agreed on a game and that's what they are playing, end of story.

If you don't want to watch all 4 days, DON'T. Pick a day and it's a race to 40 - basically(one player spotting the other whatever games they are ahead) which should make it even more exciting for you whiners.

Jesus, you have 2 of the best playing for 4 days and all you do is cry - and you wonder what is wrong with pool.

If you wanna watch crappy players, there's a bunch of videos on youtube.
Jason

GoldenFlash

Banned
Even in jest that is a stupid thing to say. NEITHER of these guys will ever be involved in anything like that! They don't even like to make 'savers' in pool tournaments.
Since you seem to be the bigtime pool room guru around here I don't dare get into any kind of argument with you. There will be zero follow-up writings here from me to you.....(I do know where the turnip truck parks)
So, I will just use your own words.
"It is a stupid thing to say, even in jest"......what you just posted.
Apparently you don't know as much as you think you know, in spite of books, articles, and a thousand years of experience, etc. etc.
ALL pool players will do business if things fall into place just right.
You just don't know it.