Games/Sports where a concession is commonplace:

Golf (match play) - a hole
Snooker - a frame
Chess - a game
Politics - an election
Bridge - tricks
Magic - a round
-------------------------------------

In golf holes are only usually conceded when it would be mathematically impossible for the other player to force a halve. The other things listed work similarly where a comeback or a victory is literally impossible. That's different than playing out a rack of ten ball.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

----------------------------------

Incorrect.

Golf: Let's say on the final hole of match play - we're all square. You drive your ball straight onto the fairway 80 yards from the green. I proceed to drive OB, I tee up and drive OB again, I then send my third drive into the woods. Laying 5 in the woods, I realize that I have little chance to win so I proceed to concede the hole and the match. While a comeback was not "literally" impossible, it is highly improbable. So I concede.

Snooker: I am 65 behind with 55 remaining. I need 3 snookers. Again, although I am not "literally" out of it, it is reasonably improbable...so I concede the frame.

Chess: I go two pawns down early in the game. I resign. Why? Although a comeback is not "literally" impossible, unless I'm playing an egg, it is improbable.

In pool, I am playing Mika, he is on a straight in 9 to win the match. Again, while it is certainly not impossible for him to miss, I deem it to be reasonably improbable, so I concede.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Conceding a putt is not conceding a hole. Because of the nature of golf you can concede a putt to your opponent and still halve or win the hole. Conceding a hole occurs when your opponent made birdie and you miss your hole out from the fairway to halve.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So you have a 6 foot putt for birdie and he has a 1 foot putt for birdie. You miss your putt and pick up his marker. You are not conceding the hole?

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by BJTyler747 View Post
Games/Sports where a concession is commonplace:

Golf (match play) - a hole
Snooker - a frame
Chess - a game
Politics - an election
Bridge - tricks
Magic - a round

----------------------------------

Incorrect.

Golf: Let's say on the final hole of match play - we're all square. You drive your ball straight onto the fairway 80 yards from the green. I proceed to drive OB, I tee up and drive OB again, I then send my third drive into the woods. Laying 5 in the woods, I realize that I have little chance to win so I proceed to concede the hole and the match. While a comeback was not "literally" impossible, it is highly improbable. So I concede.

Snooker: I am 65 behind with 55 remaining. I need 3 snookers. Again, although I am not "literally" out of it, it is reasonably improbable...so I concede the frame.

Chess: I go two pawns down early in the game. I resign. Why? Although a comeback is not "literally" impossible, unless I'm playing an egg, it is improbable.

In pool, I am playing Mika, he is on a straight in 9 to win the match. Again, while it is certainly not impossible for him to miss, I deem it to be reasonably improbable, so I concede.

Not any more. Mika is liable to miss it. Lol. This one might haunt him for a while.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is precisely why some people find leagues the appropriate venue for their pool time.
and and should not choose to gamble.
I have missed many easy shots before and I felt like crawling in a hole and dying. One of the weirdest and most surprising moments I have ever seen which involved a "gimme" shot happened in scotch doubles league play several years ago. One of players, who was an APA 4 or 5, on the opposing doubles team missed a routine 9 ball with BIH and somehow left my lower ranked partner safe. Play came back around to me after the second player on the other team missed the 9. On my turn I made the 9 ball but scratched in the side pocket at a weird angle. My partner insisted on making the other team shoot the 9 ball instead of conceding the ball. The player who originally missed the 9 ball with BIH missed the spotted 9 ball again and my partner finally made the 9. It was crazy and we all had a good laugh about it.