Personal Safety Thoughts When Returning To Pool Rooms

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far, about one third of us will play in a pool room soon, some with extra precautions.
Those who will play don't seem to have a table at home.

I don't know how most pool halls are going to survive this. I can't imagine there's going to be much league play for at least a couple of months.

I agree, bigger rooms dependent of big numbers of folks coming through, with big tabs are going to get hurt.

Old school rooms with low overhead have done well in down economy will high unemployment. I'd say 60 percent if my regulars are retired. My lifelong players would crawl over broken glass to play, they will all be back.

If it gets bad and the general public doesn't get back to playing,) I'm moving to a members only club. I have 8 of my 9 footers in the back half if the room , I can add a 9th or the billiards table to that space. I can keep the kitchen,storage room and 2 bathrooms. Charge 80 bucks a month, play all you like 24 hours a day. Surrender the front of the room to the landlord. Wouldn't even staff it, just keep it going and survive.

Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I reopen Salt City Billiards in Mattydale NY I'm going to:
-Sanitize chairs, rails, wall tables, balls, ball trays, racks and any house cues used
-Pull all house cues behind counter and hand them out. ----No bar seating at first.
-Clean common surfaces every couple hours.
-As long as the NYS face mask rule is active we will uphold it. I have over 200 N95 masks available to sell. ------Just bought 2 cases of hand sanitizer from a local distillery that started making it.
-We can't have bar service, so if alcohol sales are allowed it will be delivered table side. Bars are the last thing slated to open so restaurants or facilities with them can't use them.

I will keep social distancing which I can do with lost tables. May have to close a few bar tables in an every other table fashion, but the 9 footers have adequate room.

We will comply with any capacity restrictions. Most areas are permitting 50%, some as little as 25%. Fortunately we do fine with as little as 40 visits a day. Extremely low overhead.

With the Payroll Protection Plan I'm going to open regular hours when we do, since it covers staff. Crazy rule is the 8 weeks of paid payroll you get starts the day after you receive it. I got mine early on 4/20 a full month before we may even open. Lots of creative ways to handle it. My best employee, my wife, just got a raise and her hours are increased to 30 a week. Under the program when you are closed, you still pay staff. It isn't designed to help closed businesses much, just to keep employees off social programs. Program is not well thought out at all like most all of the governmental responses.

By the time things normalize we will be headed into June July and August...slowest months of the year. I never would have opened the room 3 years back unless I could keep extremely low overhead. I see all the rooms that are bigger, dependent on leagues with big numbers of people. I really fear we will lose many rooms over the next 6 months to a year. I'm safe for people trying to make a living off pool rooms. For me it is not about making money, just shooting the game how I can where I live.

Good to hear how you guys are going to combat this. I hope more room owners approach it this way.

Stay safe.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I will just wait for a while before playing any pool. I would never endanger my friend like that and you never know what risk level you are in. That is the worse part, not knowing...…..

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to hear how you guys are going to combat this. I hope more room owners approach it this way.

Stay safe.

I'm medical...I have a leg up on it.

Bottom line people will had to decide if they will go out. I know my regulars, they will play. The weekend crowd are young,fearless...they will play too. All of festivals,fairs and gatherings we have in upstate NY are going to be cancelled. Bars closed until final phase. Where else are they going to go?

Myself I have taken over all shopping for my family. I'm lost in grocery stores! I pickup any takeout. I'm teleworking. Staying busy with home improvements. Bought a beautiful hot tub. We go on hikes whenever the weather is nice.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
-Sanitize chairs, rails, wall tables, balls, ball trays, racks and any house cues used
-Pull all house cues behind counter and hand them out.
-No bar seating at first.
-As long as the NYS face mask rule is active we will uphold it. I have over 200 N95 masks available to sell. ------Just bought 2 cases of hand sanitizer from a local distillery that started making it.
-We can't have bar service, so if alcohol sales are allowed it will be delivered table side. Bars are the last thing slated to open so restaurants or facilities with them can't use them.

I will keep social distancing which I can do with lost tables. May have to close a few bar tables in an every other table fashion, but the 9 footers have adequate room.

We will comply with any capacity restrictions. Most areas are permitting 50%, some as little as 25%. Fortunately we do fine with as little as 40 visits a day. Extremely low overhead.

With the Payroll Protection Plan I'm going to open regular hours when we do, since it covers staff. Crazy rule is the 8 weeks of paid payroll you get starts the day after you receive it. I got mine early on 4/20 a full month before we may even open. Lots of creative ways to handle it. My best employee, my wife, just got a raise and her hours are increased to 30 a week. Under the program when you are closed, you still pay staff. It isn't designed to help closed businesses much, just to keep employees off social programs. Program is not well thought out at all like most all of the governmental responses.

By the time things normalize we will be headed into June July and August...slowest months of the year. I never would have opened the room 3 years back unless I could keep extremely low overhead. I see all the rooms that are bigger, dependent on leagues with big numbers of people. I really fear we will lose many rooms over the next 6 months to a year. I'm safe for people trying to make a living off pool rooms. For me it is not about making money, just shooting the game how I can where I live.

Well your doing all you can, that seem like a lot of effort, but I expect your customer will return, if you tell them what you have done for theirs, and staffs safety. Good luck.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
-Pull all house cues behind counter and hand them out.
-No bar seating at first.

As far as loan forgiveness, this is the part I'm confused about:

If you are not able to retain or rehire all of your employees, or if you lower wages, the loan forgiveness amount decreases. According to the Treasury, your loan forgiveness will decrease if you:

Decrease your full-time equivalent (FTE) employee headcount (which takes both full-time and part-time employees into account)

Decrease salaries and wages by more than 25% for any employee who made less than $100,000 annualized in 2019

Do not restore your full-time employment and salary levels by June 30, 2020 (if you made changes between February 15, 2020 – April 26, 2020)

So in your case, if you restore your full time employees by June 30, are you eligible for loan forgiveness? This info totally conflicts with the 8 week from loan date information previously given and understood.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm medical...I have a leg up on it.

Bottom line people will had to decide if they will go out. I know my regulars, they will play. The weekend crowd are young,fearless...they will play too. All of festivals,fairs and gatherings we have in upstate NY are going to be cancelled. Bars closed until final phase. Where else are they going to go?

Myself I have taken over all shopping for my family. I'm lost in grocery stores! I pickup any takeout. I'm teleworking. Staying busy with home improvements. Bought a beautiful hot tub. We go on hikes whenever the weather is nice.

You have a great attitude. I respect you for that. It's tough to think clearly when you're a business owner and you're trying to balance common sense with your livelihood. I'm in the meetings business and cancelled summer programs good for over a million dollars worth of meeting revenue until October of this year. We could have rescheduled them for fall but I'm glad we decided on the complete cancel. Honestly didn't want the stress of a reschedule and it may be throwing good money after bad. I have enough on my plate.

It also makes me sick that Oscar and Ernesto get the break they deserve with Hard Times in Sacramento, now this. It's terrible. There's nothing fair or right about what's happening. It's simply mother nature culling the herd.

Last edited:

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That logic is weak.

Car travel provides a value to society. What value does getting the flu provide? The other conditions all are NOT CONTAGIOUS and those affected by them are largely affected through poor lifestyle choices.

And comparing the novel coronavirus to the flu is pretty ignorant of a lot of facts: namely, flu death specifics are based on flu deaths, comprised of multiple strains...and you do know covid-19 deaths are all pretty much is 60day, right?

There really is far too much unknown about the virus to our experts for them to know with a reasonable degree of certainty where this is going. For the non-medical/ scientific population to decide how it will go is possibly very dangerous in a potentially permanent way. To people other than self.

If you aren't seeing the virus where you are, count your lucky stars and act in a manner that keeps it that way.

Speaking of weak logic, most people drive their cars everyday to go to work which in turn supports our economy. Something we really can’t live without.
My point, in case it eluded you, is people have chosen what to be afraid of here. Ignoring other things which can certainly kill them just as quick as Covid.
If you’re worried, stay home. Almost every single thing you need can be delivered to your home, the only exception I can think of is certain medications.
If you stay home then you shouldn’t have to worry about getting it, right?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You ever smell somebody else's vape or smoke out on the road? I have.

I guess that could just as easily be eau du 'rona, right?

There is a debate about whether it could be aerosol, which is the gas you're smelling. it lingers in the air. Some think only droplets, others think it's hitching a ride on other particles like smog and smoke. If it's aerosol, 6' isn't enough anyway.

That's why I am using respirators. Cloth masks won't stop it without a decent filter. A respirator is so fine, it will actually will hold water.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Speaking of weak logic, most people drive their cars everyday to go to work which in turn supports our economy. Something we really can’t live without.
My point, in case it eluded you, is people have chosen what to be afraid of here. Ignoring other things which can certainly kill them just as quick as Covid.
If you’re worried, stay home. Almost every single thing you need can be delivered to your home, the only exception I can think of is certain medications.
If you stay home then you shouldn’t have to worry about getting it, right?

I'm not staying home but I'm also using quality protection. Are you using a mask?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are not able to retain or rehire all of your employees, or if you lower wages, the loan forgiveness amount decreases. According to the Treasury, your loan forgiveness will decrease if you:

Decrease your full-time equivalent (FTE) employee headcount (which takes both full-time and part-time employees into account)

Decrease salaries and wages by more than 25% for any employee who made less than $100,000 annualized in 2019

Do not restore your full-time employment and salary levels by June 30, 2020 (if you made changes between February 15, 2020 – April 26, 2020)

So in your case, if you restore your full time employees by June 30, are you eligible for loan forgiveness? This info totally conflicts with the 8 week from loan date information previously given and understood.

UNDERSTAND THIS
your 8 weeks to spend the payroll money starts the day after the bank issues it. They must issue within 10 days of approval. You cannot risk waiting to apply and you cannot control when the money is disbursed...this sucks if the government deemed you non-essential and forced you closed. A restaurant with 10 waitresses now has half the capacity when reopened and end up with 30 percent of prior business. They will employ all 20 of PPP til 8 weeks done...then 7 see getting laid off. You are going to see a huge bump in unemployment come June to August from this. Businesses will try to catch up next few months from now...it will be exceedingly hard for retailers and restaurants.

You need to keep at many FTE equivilents as before. Doesn't matter who or how. If you had 5 people 20 hours before that's divided by 30 (one full time employee). If you don't you will lose same percentage on the money they forgive.

Youlso have to not reduce hours or pay by over 25%. You can make this up with bonuses and raises...nothing says you can't.

Biggest issue is rehiring people off unemployment making 700 to 1000 a week who were making 300 to 500 working. Many places you can't make them accept a job...this is nonsense.

You will see people bartering, panhandling, selling their stuff and themselves...while those with financial security wondering what all the fuss is about.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Again to be clear
The FTE count us not strictly FTE. It is the sum of all employees divided by 30 hours.

They are saying you have until June 30th to get back to full staff and they don't reduce you for prior having less staff that per Covid. It's an out.

You still gotta spend as much money... Easy. Give raises. Pay people 40 hours who used to get 20. Even if you aren't open. You can overlap shifts that never were before.

Nobody cares... They just want to pay employees to avoid overwhelming social supports and unemployment. Again nobody who made under 50 k s year will willfully refusing unemployment until 7/31when Fed stops giving extra 600 a week.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
UNDERSTAND THIS
your 8 weeks to spend the payroll money starts the day after the bank issues it. They must issue within 10 days of approval. You cannot risk waiting to apply and you cannot control when the money is disbursed...this sucks if the government deemed you non-essential and forced you closed. A restaurant with 10 waitresses now has half the capacity when reopened and end up with 30 percent of prior business. They will employ all 20 of PPP til 8 weeks done...then 7 see getting laid off. You are going to see a huge bump in unemployment come June to August from this. Businesses will try to catch up next few months from now...it will be exceedingly hard for retailers and restaurants.

You need to keep at many FTE equivilents as before. Doesn't matter who or how. If you had 5 people 20 hours before that's divided by 30 (one full time employee). If you don't you will lose same percentage on the money they forgive.

Youlso have to not reduce hours or pay by over 25%. You can make this up with bonuses and raises...nothing says you can't.

Biggest issue is rehiring people off unemployment making 700 to 1000 a week who were making 300 to 500 working. Many places you can't make them accept a job...this is nonsense.

You will see people bartering, panhandling, selling their stuff and themselves...while those with financial security wondering what all the fuss is about.

That is terrible, not well thought out at all. We're not laying anybody off and won't this year, but if it gets prolonged, there could be problems.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a great attitude. I respect you for that. It's tough to think clearly when you're a business owner and you're trying to balance common sense with your livelihood. I'm in the meetings business and cancelled summer programs good for over a million dollars worth of meeting revenue until October of this year. We could have rescheduled them for fall but I'm glad we decided on the complete cancel. Honestly didn't want the stress of a reschedule and it may be throwing good money after bad. I have enough on my plate.

It also makes me sick that Oscar and Ernesto get the break they deserve with Hard Times in Sacramento, now this. It's terrible. There's nothing fair or right about what's happening. It's simply mother nature culling the herd.

Yeah
You have to adjust.

I'm near expert on every law passed for business, employees and employees in NY and Federal. Because if you aren't you won't get any help.

Anybody with questions, fire away.

I had to explain laws to human resources, county health department, a state representative and the county executive...they don't even have time to digest this stuff and it is changing/reinterpreted often.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Life and owning this room have been war for awhile now. When you have people wanting you to fail I say don't give them the pleasure.