What happened to Meucci cues?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were the first with that design afaik. It was a huge seller when it first came out.

It was iconic because I remember seeing that in catalogs and brochures.

Like I mentioned in my OP...Meucci was an iconic brand and equivalent to what Predator is. I'm just wondering why they are not on Predator's level because they were the Predator of yesterday....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was iconic because I remember seeing that in catalogs and brochures.

Like I mentioned in my OP...Meucci was an iconic brand and equivalent to what Predator is. I'm just wondering why they are not on Predator's level because they were the Predator of yesterday....
Predator does make a fine product and they've spent cubic $$ on marketing/promotion. Bob is getting up there in years and maybe if someone younger with a lot of drive/ambition took over they could be a bigger player on the world stage. Who knows??

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like stated Bob Let his Daughter and Son in Law take the reign's and that is when Meucci went downhill. My Dealer is a Meucci dealer, But he said during that time frame he would order 10-15 cues and 8 would have problems and they did not want to stand behind them. So he did not buy much for several years and he spent big bucks with them thru the years. It was only after Bob came back and got quality control back in order. He is selling them again. Meucci was huge in our area and that was the cue to have. The HOF 2 was the 1st nice cue I bought , thru the years I had several. They played fantastic. I am A fan of them. But do not like the black dot shaft .

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
PredaMeucci

What if Predator or Cuetec bought the Meucci brand and started making them? Think about it 🤔

MeucciTor / MeuTec...

Not really wanting the brand name to be changed, but those guys already have manufacturing, distribution and marketing all figured out. Plus they actually have the $ to make an offer.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Meucci Pro Series 3. Talk about flexible shafts. This particular cue is the most backweighted cue on the planet. But...no sweat...just made a longer bridge and moved my grip hand back a little. Once I got used to it and got in stroke, I really enjoy the way the shaft loads up and moves the cue ball with less effort.

Attachments

• Meucci.jpg
    Meucci.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like stated Bob Let his Daughter and Son in Law take the reign's and that is when Meucci went downhill. My Dealer is a Meucci dealer, But he said during that time frame he would order 10-15 cues and 8 would have problems and they did not want to stand behind them. So he did not buy much for several years and he spent big bucks with them thru the years. It was only after Bob came back and got quality control back in order. He is selling them again. Meucci was huge in our area and that was the cue to have. The HOF 2 was the 1st nice cue I bought , thru the years I had several. They played fantastic. I am A fan of them. But do not like the black dot shaft .
IMO the BD shaft was/is a colossal pos. Numb is the only word for it. Absolutely dead feeling piece of lumber. I ordered one for a steel-joint cue and kept it all of one week. Recently I've hit the Pro series cues with the Pro shaft and the Carbon Pro on a ItsGeorge steel joint cue. I thought both were very good. I still think most of the heavily inlaid cues are horrid looking. That funky pearl stuff is pretty bad.

sonny burnett

Registered
I still have my David Howard Original. Ferrule has a hairline crack but still playable. I had to get the linen replaced some years back. It just fits me so I keep it. I bought another Meucci in 1990 and the shaft warped the same evening and they would not replace it. I gave it to a kid in league.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Meucci been in my closet for a while.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 334

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Son bought a BMC 4 and it is a really nice cue and hits excellent. The shaft is a pro and I like the hit and feel. The cue has a big pin and the shaft is wood thread with no metal. But it is balanced perfect and the hit is awesome. Garczar you are right , I hate the black dot shaft, My Cousin got a new Gambler cue and it came with the black dot , junk . My repair guy said he has seen them come apart as they are laminate. I hate them. Red dot for me.

I think somewhere along the lines in the mid 90's til about 2010 there were some really bad production years where the cues had some issues. There are still tons of people that play and buy Meucci's. The new BMC line has some really good cues, IMO. The pro, ultimate weapon & carbon pro shafts are 3 quality products. In my area tons of players still use Meucci cues and my buddy probably has the best collection of Meucci's around.

Lots of pros are still sponsored and use the cues like Sky Woodward, Mike Massey, Corey Duell and a few others that are slipping my mind at the moment.

John Morra also plays for Meucci.

I think that Jayson Shaw was with Meucci, until I assume that Peri made him a better offer.

Last edited:
Quality concerns aside, their style hasn't really changed at all over the years. Which is fine if you have a market who likes your older, more traditional cue designs. So maybe the market for that type of design is shrinking while those who prefer a more modern design is expanding?

Personally, I've never really been a fan of their designs. You could show me one of their cues made this year and tell me it was made in 1973 and I'd believe you. They just look old. Also, I'm not a fan of the epoxy over irish linen look that many of their cues feature.

Their designs in recent years look nothing like their classic designs from the 80's and 90's.

I really loved designs like the Giant Killer, and the City of Lights cues, to name a few examples. They made some really cool designs back in the 80's and 90's, in my opinion.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Son bought a BMC 4 and it is a really nice cue and hits excellent. The shaft is a pro and I like the hit and feel. The cue has a big pin and the shaft is wood thread with no metal. But it is balanced perfect and the hit is awesome. Garczar you are right , I hate the black dot shaft, My Cousin got a new Gambler cue and it came with the black dot , junk . My repair guy said he has seen them come apart as they are laminate. I hate them. Red dot for me.

wasn't red dot just the old non-LD shafts rebranded?

anyway, not a meucci fan really, but i hope they keep going as they make decently priced cues and are not made in china.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 2 originals from the first brochure a
MO-1(no wrap) & MO-1 1/2 (w/wrap) and
would match them against any cue as they
play great. I play today with a Tascarella
but would not hesitate to pick up one of the
meucci's to play with at SBE.:D

R9gV9GK.jpg

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to laugh at the folks that say Corey plays with a Meucci or this other player plays with a Meucci…

Listen stupid, they are playing with a Meucci not because it is their favorite cue, they are being PAID to play with it....

Geez, some folks are so dumb.

Earl Strickland played with a Cuetech for YEARS, rumor had it that the shaft wasn't a Cuetech shaft, but I actually heard him say he was so good he beat everyone playing with a POS cue. (Earl lost his contract with Cuetech)

Ken