ask the top players about shane

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask Efren, Darren, Earl, Mika, Rodney, Busty, or any of the worlds best who is the best player in the world. these players will be honest!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask Efren, Darren, Earl, Mika, Rodney, Busty, or any of the worlds best who is the best player in the world. these players will be honest!

You would probably get three or four different answers within that group you named.
So who would you say is the best in the world, 1stbone?

According to the WPA website (accessed on 10/26/16), the current top three are:

Cheng, YuHsuan
Wu, JiaChing
Ouschan, Albin

I love SVB, and I always root for the guy, but in today's pool climate,
I don't consider him or anyone else above the rest.
It's too close to call.

Even when Earl and Efren were in their overlapping heydays, it was tough to pick a winner.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You would probably get three or four different answers within that group you named.
So who would you say is the best in the world, 1stbone?

According to the WPA website (accessed on 10/26/16), the current top three are:

Cheng, YuHsuan
Wu, JiaChing
Ouschan, Albin

I love SVB, and I always root for the guy, but in today's pool climate,
I don't consider him or anyone else above the rest.
It's too close to call.

Even when Earl and Efren were in their overlapping heydays, it was tough to pick a winner.

Back any of those players and we will find out. Better yet ask them if they'll put up their own money against Shane.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I were talking about 10 ball, nobody is gambling with Shane with their own money (without awkward rules maybe to take away his break)

If you're talking 1 pocket , nobody is gonna play the freezer with their own money (except Alex)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I were talking about 10 ball, nobody is gambling with Shane with their own money (without awkward rules maybe to take away his break)

If you're talking 1 pocket , nobody is gonna play the freezer with their own money (except Alex)

So you are saying that Scott DOESNT use a backer?

Ken

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back any of those players and we will find out. Better yet ask them if they'll put up their own money against Shane.

Jasonlaus, I see what you're saying, but all those players are past their prime, save
for DAZ.

And right now, DAZ isn't playing much right now, and Mika has already peaked relatively speaking that is.

Granted, SVB hasn't peaked himself, but don't forget, there is a surfeit of Taiwanese players that play world-class.
SVB don't have to win. I wouldn't bet my money on anyone right now. Too close. Just my opinion.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Jasonlaus, I see what you're saying, but all those players are past their prime, save
for DAZ.

And right now, DAZ isn't playing much right now, and Mika has already peaked relatively speaking that is.

Granted, SVB hasn't peaked himself, but don't forget, there is a surfeit of Taiwanese players that play world-class.
SVB don't have to win. I wouldn't bet my money on anyone right now. Too close. Just my opinion.

I was refering ro your top 3 list.

My money is on Shane since I have to make a choice, although Jayson is moving up my list rapidly. Shaw needs a little more work and he will be at the top without a doubt

Thanks for the reply
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
To be honest I'm not so sure Shane is a dog to Frost in 1 pckt. From what I've seen the last year or so, I wouldn't have a problem betting on Shane.

You guys should also know that Earl has been my favorite player for a long time but I like Shaws game the best right now. So, I'm not making these comments as a Shane fanboy, it's just an honest onservation.
Jason

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest I'm not so sure Shane is a dog to Frost in 1 pckt. From what I've seen the last year or so, I wouldn't have a problem betting on Shane.

You guys should also know that Earl has been my favorite player for a long time but I like Shaws game the best right now. So, I'm not making these comments as a Shane fanboy, it's just an honest onservation.
Jason

Shane won't play him even. He asks for 8-7, not a huge spot but he won't gamble even.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane won't play him even. He asks for 8-7, not a huge spot but he won't gamble even.

9-8 Might make Scott play, but I would bet the other way. Shane practices and plays rotation for hours every day. Why play the best player in the country even at some other game. This is not to hug SVB's nuts, but it seems like a smart move.

I was at DCC a few years ago when Shane first came on the scene and beat Scott getting a ball+. He was on the phone with his backer and said, "I might as well take it, I will probably never get weight again". I thought this was awesome. Showed that Shane had gamble, knew he was a champ, felt this was his best opportunity, and was smart enough to take advantage of these facts.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-8 Might make Scott play, but I would bet the other way. Shane practices and plays rotation for hours every day. Why play the best player in the country even at some other game. This is not to hug SVB's nuts, but it seems like a smart move.

I was at DCC a few years ago when Shane first came on the scene and beat Scott getting a ball+. He was on the phone with his backer and said, "I might as well take it, I will probably never get weight again". I thought this was awesome. Showed that Shane had gamble, knew he was a champ, felt this was his best opportunity, and was smart enough to take advantage of these facts.

I'm not saying Shane can't win even, I'm saying Shane won't play him even.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The games have changed a little, but 9 ball lives on.

Oscar Dominguez, on his facebook page, thinks that Shane is the best American player who ever lived. I would agree with this.

Quote Oscar: Im pretty sure it's safe to say SVB is the best American pool player who's ever lived. Or at least on track to becoming the best if you compare accomplishments side by side with Johnny or Sigel.
Props on winning the toughest tourney in the world kid. 5x. Impressive

https://www.facebook.com/oscar.dominguez.925

I know Shane is the best 10 ball player in the world who has ever lived, because he drilled the best at that game, save one freakish loss to Alex (that I'm aware of). He's also probably the best 9 ball player in the world ever.

Sigel is probably the best all around American if you count 14.1 in the all around.

In my opinion, Efren is the best all around player ever (not counting 14.1)

These are just my opinions of course, none of this can be proven in any realistic sense.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The games have changed a little, but 9 ball lives on.

Oscar Dominguez, on his facebook page, thinks that Shane is the best American player who ever lived. I would agree with this.

Quote Oscar: Im pretty sure it's safe to say SVB is the best American pool player who's ever lived. Or at least on track to becoming the best if you compare accomplishments side by side with Johnny or Sigel.

I think it's safe to say that he's in the conversation of who the best American player is ever, but saying unequivocally that he's better than Greenleaf, Mosconi, Lassiter, Hall, Sigel, Varner, and Strickland is going too far.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which part/s lol

seems some of u guys need a thread per day about shanes greatness to sleep better! lol

to the OP, nice list, but why not asking the ko brothers, cheng, albin, niels or wu? i can tell u, it doesnt matter, they all would answer something like this "shane is a awesome player, but its way to early to call him the best ever!"

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for DAZ.

Wu is 6 years younger than Shane. Wonder what Wu's game will look like when he peaks given all he has done on the World Stage so far?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what Oscar posted on Facebook about Shane winning the US Open.

Sounds like he has a lot of respect for Shane but not sure he thinks Shane is the Worlds best player.

Capture.JPG