Help ID Schon STL18 Cue - Fake? Different Signatures

ScottM015

I know the model is an STL18 but my curiosity is with the signature.. It looks atypical and need your help to ID it as real or possibly fake or possibly refinish? Maybe it is an older cue based on that signature?? Thanks in advance for your help with this..

Attachments

• IMG_2505_1.png
    IMG_2505_1.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IMG_2504_1.png
    IMG_2504_1.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know the model is an STL18 but my curiosity is with the signature.. It looks atypical and need your help to ID it as real or possibly fake or possibly refinish? Maybe it is an older cue based on that signature?? Thanks in advance for your help with this..

MY GUESS...
Original schon-
butt cap been replaced and lettered-
AFTERMARKET-
DONE BY OTHER THAN SCHON CUES....
Im not sure of the model though...

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
If it's a 93, there will be no umlaut, the engraved joint on the shaft, and the one piece piloted stainless steel joint.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft says its a 1993. The pin on the cue would be a giveaway for the same year depending on what it looks like. There is always a possibility of a mismatch from cue and shaft.

The "Schon" on the butt looks right to me.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
The shaft says its a 1993. The pin on the cue would be a giveaway for the same year depending on what it looks like. There is always a possibility of a mismatch from cue and shaft.

The "Schon" on the butt looks right to me.

-
The " Schon " is way off, its missing the ö . The logo is awfuly sloppy.
Never seen the logo that way on the shaft.
Here is a good example.

Rob.M

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
-
The " Schon " is way off, its missing the ö . The logo is awfuly sloppy.
Never seen the logo that way on the shaft.
Here is a good example.

Rob.M

You're wrong... Sun, Shawn, and Matt are right.. Not all Schön cap sigs had the "ö".... The sig changed multiple times over the years.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're wrong... Sun, Shawn, and Matt are right.. Not all Schön cap sigs had the "ö".... The sig changed multiple times over the years.

And you are right. I know you love to hear that so I just had to say it. LOL! :wink:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Frankly, This one isn't much of an argument. Would still love a good picture of the pin. And I guess nothing is 100% certain especially from limited pics.

But from what is shown by the OP the cue is not suspicious.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
And you are right. I know you love to hear that so I just had to say it. LOL! :wink:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Frankly, This one isn't much of an argument. Would still love a good picture of the pin. And I guess nothing is 100% certain especially from limited pics.

But from what is shown by the OP the cue is not suspicious.

I calls em like I sees em..:wink:

No really, if I come across someone who makes a definitive comment and I know its wrong I'll say so. Unfortunately there's too much missinformation being taken as gospel.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
There have been a few of these threads lately. I think all that was determined for sure is
that the "Schon" on the butt cap varied a little from time to time

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I spent some time at the shop in '97....Evan was still there.
I had an old Schon with sharp points...and the umlaut...asked him if that dated the cue.
Evan said that it did not...it was used indiscrimately....so he agrees with you.

I spent a few thou there....so I know a bit about Schons.....
...so the cue in the original post confuses me....late nineties, a dead ringer (as far as I can
tell) was for sale at a Toronto pool hall...mint condition,,,and the price was right.
I didn't buy it 'cause the fitting made me suspect it.
...back then, my Schon shafts would not fit on a Joss butt....but a Joss shaft would fit on a
Schon.....but on this cue, the shaft would fit on my Joss...so I thought possible fake....
.....and the pin looked different at the top.

...any thoughts on that, Skins?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I spent some time at the shop in '97....Evan was still there.
I had an old Schon with sharp points...and the umlaut...asked him if that dated the cue.
Evan said that it did not...it was used indiscrimately....so he agrees with you.

I spent a few thou there....so I know a bit about Schons.....
...so the cue in the original post confuses me....late nineties, a dead ringer (as far as I can
tell) was for sale at a Toronto pool hall...mint condition,,,and the price was right.
I didn't buy it 'cause the fitting made me suspect it.
...back then, my Schon shafts would not fit on a Joss butt....but a Joss shaft would fit on a
Schon.....but on this cue, the shaft would fit on my Joss...so I thought possible fake....
.....and the pin looked different at the top.

...any thoughts on that, Skins?

I'm aware of the Schön/Joss shaft anomaly but I dont know much about why this pin was different.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm aware of the Schön/Joss shaft anomaly but I dont know much about why this pin was different.

There was a discussion some time ago in the cuemakers forum about it. Something about differences in major and minor diameter...one of the cue makers there knew about it precisely. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Thomas Wayne.

Maybe find that thread with a search.

All I know is the "anomaly" exists.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its in the pitch

The thread pitch from older Schons (80's and early 90's) was different from what was typically being used. They changed to a more standardized pin and insert in the early 90's. Any of the newer shafts will fit the older cues but the older cues will not accept the newer ones. In 93 they used a real oddball looking pin and the shafts had gold lettering on the collars with the shaft size from the factory. I.E. it would say "Schon 13" for 13mm or "Schon 12.5" for a 12.5mm shaft.

I have had my hands on dozens of old Schons and that helps to date the cue as well but its not something i can tell from a photo. I have seen some sharp pointed Schon cues with the newer pin and this goes along with the transition to CNC and ultimately Bob Runde leaving Schon.

As far as the "Schon" you are correct with the different ones being used. Some of the differences are in the S and some have the little dots while some do not. I have had old R series cues with three slightly different logos but they were all original Schon cues.

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member

That logo is correct and original. Schon briefly used that script around the 1993 era.

Here is a 1993 SL-24

Attachments

• SL24_aa.jpg
    SL24_aa.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 696
Last edited: