Josswest Box Cues (Early) by Bill Stroud

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Goodness Will, that's quite the family portrait!! Thanks for always giving us a peek at these bits of cue making history. So much I'd never have the opportunity see.
Be safe and well!

Thanks!
You’re close, you’ll have to stop over sometime.
Will

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love to see some of your cues sitting on cuoio leather.

That would be a humdinger of a photo op!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bill was definitely a master craftsman. Those are some great looking cues.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
In the late '70's I had the opportunity to buy an ebony box cue from Bill Stroud, in person, for $400. FOUR HUNDRED FREAKIN' DOLLARS!!

Big mistake. HUGE!

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.......another picture.....

Will Prout

Always a treat to see these beauties Will and of course, being a fan of Box cues myself, I can definitely appreciate these more.

There is another box cue that I believe Bill Stroud made in in the 70's or 80's that is same style as the Ed Kelly Gina, but had a stainless steel joint collar, solid black linen wrap and the bushka rings above and below the wrap and the box veneers were either black or blue on the inside and white on the outside.

That cue was used as a prop in a TV show when I was a kid, but really into Pool in a very big way and that style of cue stuck with me for years and it's what started my interest in not only custom cues, but particularly box cues.

The Josswest box cue you have with the SS joint is same style joint collars and inlays in the forearm, but wrap and rings above the wrap are different and butt sleeve is completely different.

Thank you for sharing as always and I hope you're safe and well out there.

Willie

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Always a treat to see these beauties Will and of course, being a fan of Box cues myself, I can definitely appreciate these more.

There is another box cue that I believe Bill Stroud made in in the 70's or 80's that is same style as the Ed Kelly Gina, but had a stainless steel joint collar, solid black linen wrap and the bushka rings above and below the wrap and the box veneers were either black or blue on the inside and white on the outside.

That cue was used as a prop in a TV show when I was a kid, but really into Pool in a very big way and that style of cue stuck with me for years and it's what started my interest in not only custom cues, but particularly box cues.

The Josswest box cue you have with the SS joint is same style joint collars and inlays in the forearm, but wrap and rings above the wrap are different and butt sleeve is completely different.

Thank you for sharing as always and I hope you're safe and well out there.

Willie

Willie, thanks for the nice comments.
I don’t know of the cue you mention, but it sounds like a good one.
Blue accents would be great on an ebony box cue!
Will Prout

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Will,

Those cues are amazing. How was it not more well known about Stroud and these box cues? I wonder how many of these type cues he made? What would these beauties sell for today?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Will,

Those cues are amazing. How was it not more well known about Stroud and these box cues? I wonder how many of these type cues he made? What would these beauties sell for today?

Bill did not make very many box cues. They were his highest priced cues in the 1970s-80s, particularly the ebony cues.
He only made 1 pink ivory cue, his personal player for years.
He made 3 of the white ivory implex forearm cues. The one I own was made for Richie Florence, and I believe was the first ever cored forearm cue. Not cheap, even then.

Will Prout