I need to Vent.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the point. Am I a A$$ Hole for expecting my opponent to keep quiet and take the chair?

Fenwick.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) you're not an a-hole
2) tell both talkers right away that they should remain quiet while its your turn
3) lower your expectations of other people who obviously dont get it. those people outnumber us.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I'm putting this in general discussion to reach a broader group of players.
The house started the first straight pool league in a long time.
We have only 8 players. It's summer. Hard not to single people out in such a small league
so one way or another I'll be paying for this post.

To the point. Am I a A$$ Hole for expecting my opponent to keep quiet and take the chair?

Last week, for example, someone came over while I was at the table and started talking shop with my opponent.
This someone is not in the league. He just showed up, pulled up a chair and started talking.
He got in my ear, eye and head. He's sitting in plain sight yakking away. Not
quietly but 6 feet apart from each other. Even with my hearing aid off I could hear them clear as day.
What I wanted to say was, Is My Trying to Play Pool Interfering With Your TALKING to the non player.
What I did was vent to someone else and go on a smoke break. They were still at it when I came back. I shot and they keep talking even when it was my opponents turn.

I'll either print and take along next week or forward to the person running the league. Not sure yet.

If I'm the A$$ Hole, I'll bite my tongue and wear ear plugs and blinders.

Fire away.
Ken Steinley, AKA Fenwick.

It's hard to say without being there. Talking usually doesn't bother me too much but I can certainly understand your frustration. It would be nice if people could take a hint that they are bothering someone and give them a little space.

Respect can be a hard thing to come by these days. Also, it's hard to point out that they are bothering you without coming off as a A hole. Wish I had some better advice for you.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the other two were completely inconsiderate, and they were probably trying to get into your head. I'd ask them nicely to wait until you got through shooting to have their discussion. If that didn't stop them, I'd take a break like you did, and go talk to whoever is running your league.

Goose1972

Banned
without knowing you i say you are either not an a-hole or you are legitimately psychotic.

i've got this guy in my league who thinks were playing in the mosconi cup every week, and he makes a big deal over every little move anyone in the whole pool hall makes. his team has fittingly nicknamed him psycho.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to say without being there. Talking usually doesn't bother me too much but I can certainly understand your frustration. It would be nice if people could take a hint that they are bothering someone and give them a little space.

Respect can be a hard thing to come by these days. Also, it's hard to point out that they are bothering you without coming off as a A hole. Wish I had some better advice for you.

^^^^^ What he said..... :thumbup:

flash5153

none
Silver Member
Unless you think they were doing it to disturb you,,,then you need to get over it.

Most pool is played in a bar or a loud room. Get used to it. Maybe you should have joined the conversation and run the table while doing it.

Or asked them to quiet down while your shooting.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Not to excuse them but....

I used to instruct a voluntary coarse that required
the participants to remain absolutely motionless for
substantial periods of time. It was absolutely necessary.

You would not believe the number of people who do
not understand the term "motionless" until it is
pounded into their heads. Apparently scratching a nose,
turning a head, twiddling thumbs and yawning are exempt
under the term "motionless". It had to be explained to them
that motionless means:

No Motion Whatever Under Any
Conditions No Exceptions

Most people can not accomplish this without practice.

If your talkers don't understand what quiet means then
explain it to them.
If they continue to talk then tell them to go talk elsewhere.
If that doesn't work stare at them 'till they shut up.

With practice maybe they will learn what quiet means!

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to instruct a voluntary coarse that required
the participants to remain absolutely motionless for
substantial periods of time. It was absolutely necessary.

No Motion Whatever Under Any
Conditions No Exceptions

With practice maybe they will learn what quiet means!
Toning it down would do.

I'm not asking for that, (No Motion Whatever Under Any
Conditions No Exceptions.)
A little more information.
When we started I said I'll sit in the chair and not talk to you untill a break or the game is over.
"I think the other two were completely inconsiderate, and they were probably trying to get into your head."
I don't believe this to be true. They're not that wise.

His first miss, @#%. Second, @#$, @#^&. Last game @#$%^&*, @#$%^*&, *&^%$#@. I said nothing.
The real problem was the non player and my Opponent getting into a long discussion.

" without knowing you i say you are either not an a-hole or you are legitimately psychotic." Maybe?

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have only 8 players. It's summer. Hard not to single people out in such a small league

Last week, for example, someone came over while I was at the table and started talking shop with my opponent.
This someone is not in the league. He just showed up, pulled up a chair and started talking.
quietly but 6 feet apart from each other. Even with my hearing aid off I could hear them clear as day.
What I wanted to say was, Is My Trying to Play Pool Interfering With Your TALKING to the non player.
What I did was vent to someone else and go on a smoke break. They were still at it when I came back. I shot and they keep talking even when it was my opponents turn.

I'll either print and take along next week or forward to the person running the league. Not sure yet.

Fire away.
I have not read any of the other posts but I bet I am not the only one with this opinion. You are not necessarily an a$$ hole but it is supposed to be fun, isn't that the whole point? Play some pool, have a social night out, enjoy friends company and common interest? People like you who fantasize they are playing in the US Open, when you are actually playing a league whose sole purpose is for a fun night out, spoil it for everybody else because of your delusion.

Maybe you should play in real tournaments, or maybe you already do so you should leave the leagues to people who want to enjoy themselves. It is a game and is supposed to be fun. I suggest you quit the league, it is not for you; get a corner table by yourself and you can fantasize greatness and grand victories.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could ask them, in no uncertain terms, to keep it quiet. This is one of the biggest reasons I have refused to play in leagues. Are leagues supposed to be a night out, having no respect for the game or the people who play it? Not where I learned to play! For me, leagues are just one short step removed from tournament play. If you can't take it seriously, join apa. If that sounds like a slam, too bad. And people wonder why the game is dying in this country. For me, fun is taking the game seriously enough to respect my opponent when he's at the table. If you can't do that, one of us had better quit.

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Unless you think they were doing it to disturb you,,,then you need to get over it.

Most pool is played in a bar or a loud room. Get used to it. Maybe you should have joined the conversation and run the table while doing it.

Or asked them to quiet down while your shooting.

I had 2 guys trying to distact me by talking while I was playing in a tournament last Sat nite.

One guy on purpose, the other, the really good player, went along with it.

I have played a long time and have learned to deal with it. I won the match.

It seems that more confident I become in my game, the less things tend to distract me.

Its nice to know that people think I play well enough that they have to resort to those kind of tactics to beat me.

It just makes me more confident.

Goose1972

Banned
You could ask them, in no uncertain terms, to keep it quiet. This is one of the biggest reasons I have refused to play in leagues. Are leagues supposed to be a night out, having no respect for the game or the people who play it? Not where I learned to play! For me, leagues are just one short step removed from tournament play. If you can't take it seriously, join apa. If that sounds like a slam, too bad. And people wonder why the game is dying in this country. For me, fun is taking the game seriously enough to respect my opponent when he's at the table. If you can't do that, one of us had better quit.

why do people playing in tournaments think they own the pool halls, if you want silence buy you're own pool table, and run you're own tournament. otherwise deal with the fact that you dont live in a bubble. every sport has trash talking to an extent, you think your all a bunch of athletes deal with some outside pressure. im sick of going out to shoot with friends, and feeling like i have to tip toe around some a-holes playing in a tournament on the next table, for the grand prize of two hundred dollars, and a cheap peace of gold tinted plastic.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Different

Ken,
I didn't mean to imply you should expect
the extremes. What I used to teach involved
firearms.

The only point I was trying to get at was
making sure that everyone understood what was
expected.

Quiet means different things to different people
That's all.

Also is your league a "fun league" like APA or a more
serious league? What are or should be the expectations?

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why do people playing in tournaments think they own the pool halls, if you want silence buy you're own pool table, and run you're own tournament. otherwise deal with the fact that you dont live in a bubble. every sport has trash talking to an extent, you think your all a bunch of athletes deal with some outside pressure. im sick of going out to shoot with friends, and feeling like i have to tip toe around some a-holes playing in a tournament on the next table, for the grand prize of two hundred dollars, and a cheap peace of gold tinted plastic.

I kind of agree with this.

If it's a tournament and the whole room is rented out, it's one thing, but league?

If someone gets off their game because of two guys talking I hope to god they never try to ever gamble with anyone anywhere.

Look at the bright side, at least they weren't trying to talk to you while you're shooting. Get some headphones or learn to ignore it. I've also noticed that people that try the talking shark get completely thrown off when you tune it out completely or block it with headphones. They are pulling moves most likely because they think they need to. Tune it out and you will probably win, or at least reverse it on them.

Just my 2 cents

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's life. If you were truly focused on what's going on at the table and playing your game, you wouldn't notice talking, or anything else for that matter. When I'm playing and focused, I don't notice the music blaring, the people talking or other things going on around me. If I start talking, I'm not focusing...plain and simple. If I'm playing bad, I lose focus and then I start noticing little things and then I let it bother me...not because "whatever it is" that is bothering me, it's because I'm letting it bother me....I'm not focused on my game and/or my time at the table. Learn to focus better and making excuses about something happening when your on the table is just you making excuses for bad play and lack of focus.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pbtwjw

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Fire away.

They were definitely wrong, Ken, but here's something to think about. You can turn it into something fun. I guarantee that if you had started shooting lights-out, there would suddenly be quiet on your opponent's side. That's really the best way to shut somebody up. Show them that they're about to lose the game.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
personally. i usually get people to shutup when i'm shooting by making balls and more balls. most everyone i've run in to at bars and rooms and stuff love to watch someone who can play and that does play instead of finding reasons for their poor play. this needs to be a skill set for all players who want to play well. get a tough skin and realize that most pool games are not played in "pristine conditions." drunks, idiots, drop dead gorgeous woman, knife fights, and other hazards must be encountered and conquered, fighting and arguing and complaining won't win you many games, but concentration and understanding your playing environs will. nuff said ...

barboxbanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worse comes to worse.. do what I did one night. I got so tired of asking these two guys to NOT walk up to the table and chalk while it was my turn I eventually said "If you don't stop approaching the table during my turn I'm going to knock you out and stick your buddies finger in your ass.. so which will it be?" They never said a word or approached the table again on my shots. Not sure what they were more scared of, the knock out or a finger in his ass?

I've been playing in bars and noisy places for nearly 20 years, talking never bothers me unless they are talking about me or the current table layout. If they're just BS'in, I tune em out.