this not the way it should be

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the pool room and these two guys were playing 9ball for
$50 a set. One guy beat the other,three sets.The guy that is losing
asked the other guy to double the bet. He says No.Well guess what
the guy that is loser quits. How in the Hell can you say no. I've seen
this sort of thing happen more than a few times in the last few years.
You're beating the guys brains out, you've got his nose open, and
he's ready to go off and you let him go. In my book THIS is the sort
of thing that gives pool a bad name, The guy that won should be
barred from every pool room for life.
jack

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
jack

Yep. Worst case the loser wins a set back(showing more speed) and you could still quit $50 winner.

I'm gonna double it everytime he asks, as long as he's posting.

With the right guy I'll let him owe me. Next time we play he pays what's owed and then tries to win it back :)
Jason

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I do not agree. Hustlers and others who gamble at pool seem to think there's an unwritten rule that nobody can quit ahead. I've been told by more than one hustler that one reason for the perpetuation of this fiction is that it allows them to dump a set or two as a means of setting up bigger action.

Without naming names, I know of a hustler from the 1970's who often dumped the first set. All the regulars at the poolroom suspected it, and while big money action always had side betting on the rail, during the first set of this player's action matches, everyone always wanted to bet on the other guy, with the usual result being that the rail had little or no side action that set.

Every set represents a separate investment. Anyone can sop investing anytime. If you needed four fluke nine balls to win a set 7-6, odds are you'll be the underdog if you play on, and why would you?

If, on the other hand, you need to quit because your schedule demands it, a common courtesy is to advise opponent before the action match begins that, win or lose, you need to be done by a specified time.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There are times I wouldn’t double up when winnnng..if I sensed the money wasn’t right...
...his bankroll might be at the bottom of the barrel...
...I sometimes told them to put up for five games...and we can jack it.

I busted a guy eight times at backgammon and wouldn’t play the next time he asked....
..the most I won was 15 points...and he would owe me the last game...
...which I would write off when we played again.
But it was frustrating...I had to be conservative with the cube....
..’cause I might be firing at nothing...and backgammon is volatile....
...told him he had to post a hundred points for a rematch.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The guy that is losing
the guy that is loser quits. ...
So you're mad at the winner for refusing to raise the bet. Would you also be mad at him if he raised the bet, the other player went up three gears to win the fourth set and the first guy quit half a set winners?

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have real simple advice for anybody who is losing some money, and then gets mad at the fella that he's losing to, because he won't raise the bet; GROW UP! You're not getting any younger, so you might as well start growing up now, so that you won't have to do it later.

If I am losing to someone, and they decide they want to quit at any time, that is their prerogative. I have gambled since I was around 13 or so, and I am 61 now. Unless I had to leave for some reason, I have always tried to give a person ample opportunity to win their money back...unless it was someone who I felt was trying to hustle me.

There have been times when I was down to a person, and they wanted to quit. It used to aggravate me, uhhh, when I was an adolescent, who needed to grow up! Any of you people who think a person is cheap, wrong, an ass, or whatever, when they want to quit when they're ahead, needs to grow up and become a man, instead of a sniveling baby.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
He's a nit but I don't think banning is called for .

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You guys are missing the point. In this case the winner looks like he is gonna clearly keep winning, and instead of raising the bet and winning MORE, he shoots himself in the foot and the other guys quits. Not a very good business decision.

Worse case the winner quits after losing 1 set and still wins 50, best case, the guy is a go-off and loses thousands.
Jason

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You guys are missing the point. In this case the winner looks like he is gonna clearly keep winning, and instead of raising the bet and winning MORE, he shoots himself in the foot and the other guys quits. Not a very good business decision.

Worse case the winner quits after losing 1 set and still wins 50, best case, the guy is a go-off and loses thousands.
Jason

Is it OK for the first guy to decide how much he wants to bet on his own?

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have

jack

I have seen that happen many times, the winner is actually more afraid to lose his winnings then his own money .

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack
I don't exactly agree with you either. Many players who are up in a session feel that if you want to win it back, you'll have to do it at the same $ wager per set that you lost it. Say you agreed to double the bet and you lose 3 sets back to him, but now instead of being even, you are $150 in the hole even though you've split 6 sets with him. Yes, I see your point about going in for the kill when you have someone down and on the ropes, but not everyone sees it the same way. You can't even know for sure if you've seen your opponent's best game until the stakes have been risen - another reason why you have to be careful with someone who is down asking to raise the stakes.

The loser quitting on the winner just because the winner doesn't agree to raise the stakes - what exactly is the problem you have with that? The winner is under no obligation at any time to feel like he has to agree to raise the bet when requested by the loser. Only time you might make an argument for that is if it's been a long session and the winner is up multiple sets, and warns the loser he only has time to play 1 or 2 more sets. Then in that case, it might be the courteous thing to do to offer the loser to raise the bet to allow the loser to have a chance to get back to even or close to even before the session ends. However, even then, the winner is under no obligation to do so.

Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the point

No, the point is you need to stay out of their game and ultimately their business.

I never did understand how someone, who has no vested interest in the actual game, can decide what is right or wrong when it comes to someone else’s game.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have real simple advice for anybody who is losing some money, and then gets mad at the fella that he's losing to, because he won't raise the bet; GROW UP! You're not getting any younger, so you might as well start growing up now, so that you won't have to do it later.
If I am losing to someone, and they decide they want to quit at any time, that is their prerogative. I have gambled since I was around 13 or so, and I am 61 now. Unless I had to leave for some reason, I have always tried to give a person ample opportunity to win their money back...unless it was someone who I felt was trying to hustle me.
There have been times when I was down to a person, and they wanted to quit. It used to aggravate me, uhhh, when I was an adolescent, who needed to grow up! Any of you people who think a person is cheap, wrong, an ass, or whatever, when they want to quit when they're ahead, needs to grow up and become a man, instead of a sniveling baby.
Only in pool.........
I've sat in a lot of poker games in card rooms all over California and all over Nevada.
I've never heard anyone scream and yell if someone quit winner and cashed in.
The ones remaining just buy some more chips and keep on playing.
I've never seen anyone at a Vegas crap table scream and yell when someone quit winner....."you got to give us a chance to get our money back".
Why in pool is this some form of "unwritten gambling law".........?????. You can't quit unless the other guy goes broke, quits himself, or you drop from exhaustion and lack of rest.
(And if you drop, they just beat hell out of you, take all the money back and dump you in the alley out back.)
Dumb stuff.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Jack, win it back how you lost it

What shouldn't be like this is the armchair criticism of other people's wagers. If people pay their dues, it's no one else's business

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Funny how you say "you guys are missing the point."

Win it back at what we bet at, OR, we can start a new session the next day for whatever both players want to bet.

Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Only in pool.........
I've sat in a lot of poker games in card rooms all over California and all over Nevada.
I've never heard anyone scream and yell if someone quit winner and cashed in.
The ones remaining just buy some more chips and keep on playing.
I've never seen anyone at a Vegas crap table scream and yell when someone quit winner....."you got to give us a chance to get our money back".
Why in pool is this some form of "unwritten gambling law".........?????. You can't quit unless the other guy goes broke, quits himself, or you drop from exhaustion and lack of rest.
(And if you drop, they just beat hell out of you, take all the money back and dump you in the alley out back.)
Dumb stuff.

I've played poker all over the country and have heard hundreds if not thousands of people complain when somebody does a hit and run in poker.

I dont, but plenty of others do.

Same as in jumping into a blackjack game for a few hands then leaving, people complain and cry.
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Funny how you say "you guys are missing the point."

Win it back at what we bet at, OR, we can start a new session the next day for whatever both players want to bet.

If you think the guy is gonna win it back, just quit! You all have loser mentality and that's why you will never have a big score.

This isn't about that. It's about a guy being stupid and not taking advantage of a good situation.

The winning player is gonna continue winning and the loser is going off, probably for all his money, cue, whatever.

If the guys speed changes on the next set QUIT, you still won $50.
Jason

And for the guys saying it's none of his/my business, you are 100% correct. But why limit yourself is all I'm saying

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume not every player gambling in pool is doing it to make a score. In my case, I have a job that pays well. I’m not looking to bust someone or play with anyone trying to bust me. I gamble solely to make it worthwhile to be playing sets because locking horns is more fun than practice. I’m sure I’m just a nit from a gambling perspective but not everyone has to play by a hustler’s rules. I could easily see myself refusing to double up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro