New pool movie

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm. The plot doesn’t seem very new. Is it any good?
And, when was it filmed? Good luck to all involved!

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like a really bad time to release a movie unless it's done online... All my local movie theaters are closed down. Was going to watch/buy movie online right now but don't see it listed anywhere on the normal channels like Amazon.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker Theory...That's because you didn't pay attention to the release date. It doesn't come out until May 8th. At that time it will come out available on demand, since the theaters will still be shut down nationwide.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Seems like a really bad time to release a movie unless it's done online... All my local movie theaters are closed down. Was going to watch/buy movie online right now but don't see it listed anywhere on the normal channels like Amazon.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker Theory...That's because you didn't pay attention to the release date. It doesn't come out until May 8th. At that time it will come out available on demand, since the theaters will still be shut down nationwide.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Thanks Scott, guess I forgot what month I was in, damn lockdown. :eek:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had pretty low expectations clicking on that link but was pleasantly surprised. Looks good to me and I’ll definitely watch it. Looking forward to the release.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If one watches this movie trailer and yet has no desire to see the movie, let alone the day it comes available, I’d wager you’re not a fan of either the game or great actors.

5647ff12fd22c75834fc3949fcf30591.jpg

Any takers?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Looks pretty awful to me, but it's a pool movie, so that's a good thing. Hope it's successful.

From what I've seen, for a pool movie to succeed, the plot must avoid anything to do with the primary player's family and friends. Noone really cares about any of that. A boyfriend/girlfriend, on the other hand can be useful in offering perspective and on how an outsder can be drawn in to the pool action scene, at times to their detriment.

For me, in both "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money," the fascination came from the idea of a skillful player caught up in the wilderness of the seedy pool gambling scene and how they navigate the harsh realities of a world in which their own morals and values are tested to the max time and time again.

In my view, those who make pool movies these days have lost their way, thinking that we want soap opera or action-film type drama.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The positive is that they got Jeffrey Dean Morgan who is known for his role as Negan on The Walking Dead.

It also has some aspects of pool involved.

That's about it.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
And fortunately for the people putting the movie together, the OP of the thread, JoeyA, is the pool consultant on the movie....I also saw Joey in one of the stills from a pool room scene.

Congrats, Joey. Looking forward to seeing it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope they’ve used a qualified pool consultant for this movie. By the one clip in the trailer I saw in which an opponent claims the kid failed to call the 9-ball on the final shot, that just shows a lack of detail that any pool player would immediately pick up on - They are not playing 8-ball, they are playing 9-ball in a bar room, so what are the chances they’d be playing by rules requiring them to call the pocket on the 9-ball? - highly unlikely in my opinion.

Last edited:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its possible that they were playing 'call the 9 ball' or a called shot game. I Hustled bar pool in the 70's and every bar seemed to have its own rules. It was funny because the more rules they made, the bigger advantage the better player had !
I'll watch it till the end.
Good luck Joey A

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to the movie. Heck, anything about pool is cool, as far as I'm concerned. It's called a "family drama" on Google. The actors are great, and we got to give JoeyA a high five for lending his expertise to the movie, so that it's more realistic.

Look, I love TCOM for obvious reasons, but some of that movie was a little corny. When it came out in '86, my friends from the pool room and I went to the big theater to watch it together. We are laughing our heads off at some of the lines because they were so goofy, but we loved the movie, nonetheless.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I bet it goes to Amazon for ordering before July.

Hope so!! That would be good distribution. While new releases are pricey that way it's still cheaper than a movie theater if you're eating popcorn or want a Coke. Plus you can pause to pee. :lol: