how are ya'll doing in league ?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same with TAP....you have an over all team handicap that you have to stay under...I dont like it but I understand that they do it so you can't load a team up with the best players and dominate every one...It gives the lower level players a chance to be on a competitive team because the higher level players have to have a couple 3' or 4's ...I agree that it drastically slows the progress of the better players and it promotes sand bagging...

USAPL does not have a team handicap limit, BUT it does take total points away from a score once your team reaches over a certain handicap score, depending on the league you are in.

For a 3 match team in my Master's 10 Ball that I play with my son on Wed for example, the limit is 300 points so you can have 3 100 rank players play before penalty. To get to a 100 rank in 10 ball you have to be a B+, or at least play very well as a B (meaning no choking when you should win the game).

This way if you are friends with 2 A players, you can have them on your team, even if they max out the rating at 125, and still play, you'll just need to take a point penalty for the match for the whole team. At least it does not block you from having people on your team that you want to have, but still tries to keep the score even.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
Shot decent tonight, 5-0 against a 5. I might be getting my pool mind back. To soon to tell.

Rackemray

Registered
It's my first year playing league. I shot into a 6 to start the season board set me at a 5. After I was set I could not manage to win, I lost 5-7 weeks in a row. I have recently started to pull out of my slump. Four weeks ago played an eight and lost 8-3. Even getting the 3 games was almost as good as a win against this guy. The following week I played a 5 he was a salty old timer, I lost 5-4. Two weeks ago I ran over a 4 5-1. This week I played a 6 started out real strong, played good defence and smart. Went up 3-0 feel apart and could not even make straight in shoots for two games. I managed to pull out the win 5-2. Can't for the life of me figure out what is going on with my game.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing on old faithful

I just picked up a 30" Tiger Ultra X LD shaft, to replace my 29" Tiger shaft. I took it to our bar and started banging some balls around the Diamond BB. It took some getting used too and definitely changed the way I hold the cue. I finally got comfortable with it after an hour or so. I found our paperwork (Our bar has the APA paperwork box) and headed to the old funky bar we had our match at. Got to the bar, found out both tables there are double shimmed Valley 4x8's with heavy napped cloth, Brunswick Centennials, and an Aramith Valley ball :yikes:
I played two doubles games, with a teammate, before the match started. The cue ball rolled as well as Volkswagen in peanut butter and the pockets must have been shimmed with titanium, because anything rattled. It was miserable. Our captain put me up first and they put a SL6 on me.

I lost the first rack. 0-1
Won the second. 1-1
He won the third rack. 1-2
I won the fourth rack. 2-2
I won the fifth rack. 3-2
He won the sixth/seventh racks. 3-4
I won the eighth rack. 4-4

There was something like 30+ safeties played and it took a little over 1.5 hours :sorry:

It was damn near impossible to run out on that junk table.

* Just an idea of how slow the table was:
I had a spot shot with the cue ball near the side pocket. I hit it with high inside with a break stroke and the CB zipped away at lightning speed only to slow down in seconds and stop in the center of the table. It was like rolling a bowling ball into the ocean. It just stopped!

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since update of scores, my 10 ball Masters team is in 3rd place.
We play the #1 team today but it's all guys we've beat before.

And I lost my #1 player ranking to my son LOL

The guy that was #2 by 1/20th of 1% dropped to 4th.

Odd thing about this is that my son somehow has an extra week of playing, I am thinking I missed a make up game or something, need to look into that.

Rank Total Pts Wins Match scores Weeks played
1 Son 57 2072 7 522 10
2 Me 74 2049 6 767 9

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Last night we were playing a team that is stacked with a bunch of higher level players, 7-6-5-5-5-5-4-2.

I'm currently undefeated in this session, and a bunch of the guys on that team were woofing about being the one to take me out. (Good naturedely, we're all good friends.)

I planned on playing this week, and I didn't feel like trying to sort out who I wanted to try to play, so I put myself up first, and let them decide who the hell would come after me.

What did they do? They threw off with their 2 :eek: With all those higher level players...

That's the first time a team has ever thrown off on me. Very strange. I have three players on my team who are stronger players than me.

It was a tough match for me, having to win 5 in a row, knowing that we would need to get the 3 points for that match, since I would now have to play my lower level player vs one of their higher level players. Its a whole different kind of pressure, especially since it only takes one mistake for her to be on the hill.

I pulled it off. And to top it off, my SL2 beat their SL4, so their ploy didn't play out as well as they might have liked.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
I lost the first rack. 0-1
Won the second. 1-1
He won the third rack. 1-2
I won the fourth rack. 2-2
I won the fifth rack. 3-2
He won the sixth/seventh racks. 3-4
I won the eighth rack. 4-4

Did I miss something or did we never find out who won the match? :D

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night we were playing a team that is stacked with a bunch of higher level players, 7-6-5-5-5-5-4-2.

I'm currently undefeated in this session, and a bunch of the guys on that team were woofing about being the one to take me out. (Good naturedely, we're all good friends.)

I planned on playing this week, and I didn't feel like trying to sort out who I wanted to try to play, so I put myself up first, and let them decide who the hell would come after me.

What did they do? They threw off with their 2 :eek: With all those higher level players...

That's the first time a team has ever thrown off on me. Very strange. I have three players on my team who are stronger players than me.

It was a tough match for me, having to win 5 in a row, knowing that we would need to get the 3 points for that match, since I would now have to play my lower level player vs one of their higher level players. Its a whole different kind of pressure, especially since it only takes one mistake for her to be on the hill.

I pulled it off. And to top it off, my SL2 beat their SL4, so their ploy didn't play out as well as they might have liked.

You must have played the team we played! lol
They were stacked up with: 7-6-6-5-5-5-4-2 (Just one SL off!)

Congrats on the 5-0! Playing 2's is about as depressing as it gets.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Which league ?? Sometimes they are night & day by comparison.

Played a "protege' " of an A-speed. He was low rated,(don't understand how), and tournament quality. Short race to 4. He jumped out 2-0 on some stellar position and shooting skills. It made me go back and ask my Captain his rating again. I been in a 4 week slump , so this was an uncomfortable spot to be. I got game 3 , he broke dry and left me nice, so I ran it out. 2-1. My strategy was to start layin down safties b/c ths guy was out from anywhere! Went back & forth for 5 innings game 4 , till I got a shot I thought I could make,(neither of us were giving each other a good look at anything now). I went for it,.... and missed. He's out. Same scenario game 5 ,... he got me 4-1 by challenging me to go for the shot . 0-2 for the effort he was out. Despite the loss, I really enjoyed the match! He just played better than I did that day.

The other league was amusing. I'm a S/L 5 now thanks to 4 weeks of crap shooting. I play this "up & coming" S/L 4. He is all about it. I got the edge as I'm out of my slump now, and my safety play b/c of the slump is superb! I let him get out to a 16-5 lead, and purposely go over to my Cap't and ask how many balls he has. So I'm spotting him 11 balls plus my 7 for handicap. So I start putting safes down on him, leaving whitey exactly where I want it ! Then I'd pop a few balls and leave him safe. He started with the "F-bombs" a rack later. :mad: Now he's talkin' Like Earl and I'm lovin' it !! :D
He doesn't realize whats going on.
Got down to last rack, we each need 1 ball, and its my break,.....................
Can you say "Wing-ball?" :D Game over. :p

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
You must have played the team we played! lol
They were stacked up with: 7-6-6-5-5-5-4-2 (Just one SL off!)

Congrats on the 5-0! Playing 2's is about as depressing as it gets.

It wasn't depressing to me. She's a pretty new player, a middle aged lady who just started playing a session ago. She plays pretty well, for just starting. She can make some shots, just can't string them together. And she's enjoying playing.

I was concerned with over thinking things, and being too cautious.

I'd like to say it was fun, but it was nerve racking.

Banks

Banned

I got ducked by a weak 7. He ended up losing 2-3 to a 4. I played the final match against.. a 2! She made a nice 4 or 5 ball run to take the 5th rack. She miscued on her break to hand it over and I ended up with a one inning bnr. Had another bnr earlier, too, but ended up knocking in the dang 8b early on the last game! Just can't seem to get it together on Tuesday, now at 5 of 9 I think. What a contrast, following up Sunday's 4 inning win with a 22 or so inning loss to a 2.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stats as of last week.
You can see how our LO doesn't update BnR's, snapping the 9, or 8 on the break's.

Attachments

• APA League Stats.jpg
    APA League Stats.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 153

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
Shot decent tonight, 5-0 against a 5. I might be getting my pool mind back. To soon to tell.

I just looked & the guy I beat was in 1st place for top gun. He was 8-7 now he's 9-7. Lol
I know I shouldn't laugh & I'm not. But it was a good confidence booster.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
9 ball Monday BCA

I won all my matches monday night in my BCA 9 ball league.

I was 6-6 and shot a 50 out of a possible 60.

I should be right at the top of the points leader board but we are behind because all the bye's havn't caught up yet.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
I know if you play in different APA regions they don't share your lifetime stats with each other. But St. Louis has all your matches combined.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our team won the regular season Championship , now we have 2 weeks of play-offs . last night was the the play-offs for all but the #1 & 2 teams , Saterday more playoffs , will get down to 8 teams double eliminations and then the following sat 4 teams will shoot off double elimination for over all championship . We did win this last yr .