Gold Crown II and DJ Billiards

Scheffs1956

Hey Spike8ball!
Did you just buff those castings on a "grinder" with a buffing wheel and compound paste?
What colors did you use in order?
Did you do any light sanding first?
How long did it take to do them?
They look just fantastic!
Also, I tried to contact Dj Billiards by phone and got no reply. Do you know what brand and color stain they used? That is a perfect match and the look I would like to achieve.
Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a used 9' Brunswick Gold Crown II table from Don Jennings and his brother Doug, and wanted to let everyone know that they did a fantastic job of restoring and installing the table. There are some finished pictures below.

I'm pretty sure they will set one up anyway that you want, but I chose Brunswick Superspeed cushions, Simonis 860 HR cloth, and subrail extension to tighten up the pockets.

This table plays fantastic! Not sure how far Don and Doug will travel, (I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) but if you want a great table from a couple of great table mechanics, I highly recommend Don and Doug. They did exactly what they said they would do on time, the first time.

You can reach Don at 214-207-8410 or don@djbilliards.com

View attachment 103263

View attachment 103264

View attachment 103265
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've used Sherwin Williams BAC wiping stain "Chestnut", plus, tinted the clear coat with
about an ounce of it also. ( 1oz / 1 qt.) Hand sand with 220 for final prep just before staining.

I can't help, but notice, the creativity of a cue holder.

Spike8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gcii

Scheffs1956,

Thanks for the compliment.

I started with a belt sander and 80 grit, careful to keep the castings shape. Then worked my way down to 1500 (100, 220, 400, 600, 1000) before using a course and then fine buffing wheel. At the time I had a compressor and body shop sanders, so very little by hand. Still took about three weeks. Castings were rough to say the least.

I used Eastwood polishing supplies, which are solid. You just hold them on the buffing wheel while it is turning.

The stain is The Original Master's Magic, super-penetrating NGR stain, NG1503 Brown Red Mahogany.

I attached a couple of before/afters.

Mike

Attachments

• GC II Restore 005.jpg
    GC II Restore 005.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 172
  • GC II Restore 006.jpg
    GC II Restore 006.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 164
  • GC II Restore 029.jpg
    GC II Restore 029.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 172

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
My GCII and looks like you have the cue rack too?

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 170

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That looks like a new table. I was looking at some GC and they are all beat up. if I bought one I'd re-finish the wood and polish the metal too.

Could you post a pic of the Brunswick label that is on top of the headrail?
There has been some discussion in my threads as to whether the tables I have been looking at are GC I or GC II's. I think tables I have been looking at are 2 GC I's and 1 GC II. They had different labels on the headrail.
Two of them were clear plastic and one of them was medal.

Thank

Rich

GC1s had both name plates! It started out for the first couple of years with the plastic name plate, but then switched over to the metal name plate.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't know how .any times I've said this already, but I'll say it one more time. The ONLY difference between a GC1 & 2, is that the 2 was ONLY offered in a rosewood paint stained finish, had bronze coated leg levelers, and a bronze coated ball tray trim, that's it. Every other change that people like to think identifies a 2, came out in the GC1 first. So to tally it up, a GC2 is in fact, with the exception of the rosewood paint stained finish, bronze feet and ball tray trim......a GC1!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how .any times I've said this already, but I'll say it one more time. The ONLY difference between a GC1 & 2, is that the 2 was ONLY offered in a rosewood paint stained finish, had bronze coated leg levelers, and a bronze coated ball tray trim, that's it. Every other change that people like to think identifies a 2, came out in the GC1 first. So to tally it up, a GC2 is in fact, with the exception of the rosewood paint stained finish, bronze feet and ball tray trim......a GC1!!!
'Cobra what i find unusual/amazing is that Brunswick themselves kept(or not!) such bad records. You call them about stuff like this and you can almost see the deer-in-the-headlights look over the phone. All they are now is assemblers. The people there are pretty much clueless about anything that happened more than 5yrs ago.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
'Cobra what i find unusual/amazing is that Brunswick themselves kept(or not!) such bad records. You call them about stuff like this and you can almost see the deer-in-the-headlights look over the phone. All they are now is assemblers. The people there are pretty much clueless about anything that happened more than 5yrs ago.

That's because anyone that would know anything are either retired by now, or dead, I just happen to still be standing🤪😎

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I bought a used 9' Brunswick Gold Crown II table from Don Jennings and his brother Doug, and wanted to let everyone know that they did a fantastic job of restoring and installing the table. There are some finished pictures below.

I'm pretty sure they will set one up anyway that you want, but I chose Brunswick Superspeed cushions, Simonis 860 HR cloth, and subrail extension to tighten up the pockets.

This table plays fantastic! Not sure how far Don and Doug will travel, (I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) but if you want a great table from a couple of great table mechanics, I highly recommend Don and Doug. They did exactly what they said they would do on time, the first time.

View attachment 103263

View attachment 103264

View attachment 103265

An original GC2 had bronze coated leg levelers and metal ball tray trim.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe they had many old records destroyed in a fire - maybe 60s/70s - not sure. Not much computer action then, most records would have been paper or microfilm. I was told this back in the late 70s when I bought my first GC and began seaching for parts, manuals and records contacting Brunswick directly.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Didn't read any threads. But I always thought the GC II's also, had the original GC I ball counters.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Scheffs1956,

Thanks for the compliment.

I started with a belt sander and 80 grit, careful to keep the castings shape. Then worked my way down to 1500 (100, 220, 400, 600, 1000) before using a course and then fine buffing wheel. At the time I had a compressor and body shop sanders, so very little by hand. Still took about three weeks. Castings were rough to say the least.

I used Eastwood polishing supplies, which are solid. You just hold them on the buffing wheel while it is turning.

The stain is The Original Master's Magic, super-penetrating NGR stain, NG1503 Brown Red Mahogany.

I attached a couple of before/afters.

Mike

Well, now that I've seen enough pictures posted by you, here's the bad news, that's not a GC2! Take a look at the feet you have all nice and shinny now, looking like chrome. Do you see that little hole coming out of the top of the foot, where you bolt the leg through with a small lag bolt? Those were the GC1 non-adjustable feet that only came out on GC1's between 61'-63'. After 63' all the GC1 feet were adjustable, and mounted on a 3/4" threaded stud which was threaded through the foot, and into a collar mounted in the base of the pedestals where both feet threaded into.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

View attachment 103263

View attachment 103264

View attachment 103265

Do you see how much each foot.is sticking out past the base edge of the pedestals? Every one is the same be cause they're not adjustable, which means they offer no assistance in leveling the frame of the table, so the frame leveling had to be done either between the frame carriage and the pedestals, or under the feet of the table. The 3rd way would be to leave the frame unlevel, and level the slates by suspending them above the frame carriage which won'tast to long, before wedged start falling out, and it sounds like the balls are rolling across a drum.

Did you see them level the table? I'd certainly question the skills of the mechanics if the don't know the difference between a GC1 and a GC2!!!

Spike8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gcii - gc i

There were a number of tables that came out of a Chicago poolroom, and I was able to look at all of them, and pick the one I wanted. I actually spoke with Brunswick about this table because as far as I can tell it was never painted, (GCI) but didn't have the adjustable feet. What they told me is in the changeover from I to II I could have gotten GCI feet on a GCII table.

Regardless, it doesn't matter to me whether it is a GCI or II, it's a fantastic table. Since Don and crew set it up in Texas, I moved back to Florida and had it re-installed. Those mechanics also thought it was a GCI because of the feet.

Don and crew did the best job assembling and covering the table. The guys here were sort of in a hurry. Switched to Simonis 760 this time, like that better. If you are ever in Florida, I'd love to have you set up the table!

As for the cure rack, I don't know if it is a GCII or III, but found it at Classic Billiards about 15 years ago.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
There were a number of tables that came out of a Chicago poolroom, and I was able to look at all of them, and pick the one I wanted. I actually spoke with Brunswick about this table because as far as I can tell it was never painted, (GCI) but didn't have the adjustable feet. What they told me is in the changeover from I to II I could have gotten GCI feet on a GCII table.

Regardless, it doesn't matter to me whether it is a GCI or II, it's a fantastic table. Since Don and crew set it up in Texas, I moved back to Florida and had it re-installed. Those mechanics also thought it was a GCI because of the feet.

Don and crew did the best job assembling and covering the table. The guys here were sort of in a hurry. Switched to Simonis 760 this time, like that better. If you are ever in Florida, I'd love to have you set up the table!

As for the cure rack, I don't know if it is a GCII or III, but found it at Classic Billiards about 15 years ago.

The CG2 ball tray metal trim on a 2 was bronze plated as were the adjustable feet. My guess is the table was painted at one time, then refinished look like a GC2, but those pedestals that had the non-adjustable feet were always painted white no matter what the skirts were painted. The rails could have been bought as a GC2 upgrade for the rails, but the pedestals would have still been painted white, which is what leads me to believe the rails were refinished at the same time as the pedestals were.