Why a carbon shaft???

apool_shark

DavidH
Silver Member
I don’t understand the hype of the carbon shafts. I have yet to use one, but I would naturally assume it would be ridiculously stiff. What is so good about these shafts? Not sure of the correct terminology, but my shaft has a ton of flex, due to the taper. Which I absolutely love. Not sure how much “flex” a carbon shaft would have. If any.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I don’t understand the hype of the carbon shafts. I have yet to use one, but I would naturally assume it would be ridiculously stiff. What is so good about these shafts? Not sure of the correct terminology, but my shaft has a ton of flex, due to the taper. Which I absolutely love. Not sure how much “flex” a carbon shaft would have. If any.
The appeal is a slick shaft that you don't have to worry about getting dinged up. I now have the BeCue Prime M. It's actually nowhere near as stiff as a Revo. But some people do say that it feels a bit like plastic. I like that they will make you a longer shaft in different joint types, so that's the one I'm sticking with.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just have hit one. I've hit both the Revo's and they are stiff but not overly so. They play very well. Very low defl. and exceptional energy transfer.

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A CF shaft is like that designer handbag your wife/gf saw in the shop window at your local shopping mall. It does nothing better than her existing bags, costs more and you know she does not need it but she will convince herself and eventually you that she NEEDS it. Later on, you will discover the real reason is her friends have the same bag.

That's it

I have a Cynergy, Z2, Z3, 314-2,3 V and owned and returned two defective Revos and can confirm CF is over hyped. They are great for collections if you like that sort of thing but if you don't have disposable income, save yourself a big chunk of money and stick to wood until the prices come tumbling down and the shafts are all refined as some are being released to market with questionable quality.

That said, I do love the fact that I can clean the cf in under 20secs with a quick wipe of IPA. That's the main pro I have found with CF. There is also a bit more action when you go for it but I seldom do

Last edited:

ufoninja

Registered
I have played with Cynergy for two weeks now. I actually won a local event last sunday with the new shaft lol.
I bought the shaft with an open mind. So far I am really satisfied. I don't play with a glove, so the most noticeable
thing for me is the silk smooth feel on the bridge hand. The shaft doesn't feel any stiffer than the BD SS360-shaft
I used before. I have tried some shots with the Revo also and that hit was way stiffer. I prefer a softer hit, so I went
for Cynergy. The easy maintenance with a CF is also an advantage.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A CF shaft is like that designer handbag your wife/gf saw in the shop window at your local shopping mall. It does nothing better than her existing bags, costs more and you know she does not need it but she will convince herself and eventually you that she NEEDS it. Later on, you will discover the real reason is her friends have the same bag.

That's it

I have a Cynergy, Z2, Z3, 314-2,3 V and owned and returned two defective Revos and can confirm CF is over hyped. They are great for collections if you like that sort of thing but if you don't have disposable income, save yourself a big chunk of money and stick to wood until the prices come tumbling down and the shafts are all refined as some are being released to market with questionable quality.

That said, I do love the fact that I can clean the cf in under 20secs with a quick wipe of IPA. That's the main pro I have found with CF. There is also a bit more action when you go for it but I seldom do
Tend to agree to what you've stated. The difference in deflection between cf and a good ld wood shaft is TINY. They ARE the hot-ticket right now and i say more power to those that use them and those selling them. Any buzz in the pool biz is good buzz imo. Prices will come down as more co's bring them to market.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What's good about "the" carbon fiber shafts?

Well, like "the" wood shafts, it depends on "who" makes it for one thing.

Putting the "who" aside, here are the reasons I play with one:

1. It has yet to ding, develop a flat spot, warp....etc...etc.."none" of those "many" bad things that can/do happen to a wooden shaft.

2. It stays smooth....."all" of the time....regardless of weather etc..etc..

3. It play WAY MORE consistent than "any" wooden shaft i/you have ever picked up. It does not change the way "all" wood does over time or lol... day to day depending.

4. It stays the same size over time. It doesn't start out at 12.9 and end up at 12.5 due to being used, cleaned...etc..etc...

5. They are not all stiff. Some are, some aren't. I like a stiff shaft so, I bought one.

6. Energy transfer.....OMG....no wood shaft on the planet has as much energy transfer as even the cheapest CF shaft....I dont care who made it. It's a fact.

7. Deflection is very low with certain CF shafts and some aren't very low...so, we have a choice for low or not just like with wood.

I could go on and on but, dont need to. If you dont want one, dont buy one. No biggie to me nor will it be to any other person on the planet, NOBODY cares what I play with and im sure nobody cares what you play with either.

Hype? Sure, there is hype. You know what? There is hype about certain custom cues that play like chit but, they are still "all the rage" cause some dead guy made em, eventhough they play like chit.....so, why the hype on those?

Having said all that, dont get me wrong, I love a tastefully done cue and have owned several customs that cost more than most people pay for their car.....but, you know what? They didn't play as well as the CF cue I consider my player today.

No hype here my friend. Just like you, I'm a guy holding a cue. The cue just happens to be made of cf.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

1. It has yet to ding, develop a flat spot, warp....etc...etc.."none" of those "many" bad things that can/do happen to a wooden shaft.

3. It play WAY MORE consistent than "any" wooden shaft i/you have ever picked up. It does not change the way "all" wood does over time or lol... day to day depending.

4. It stays the same size over time. It doesn't start out at 12.9 and end up at 12.5 due to being used, cleaned...etc..etc...

5. They are not all stiff. Some are, some aren't. I like a stiff shaft so, I bought one.

6. Energy transfer.....OMG....no wood shaft on the planet has as much energy transfer as even the cheapest CF shaft....I dont care who made it. It's a fact.

7. Deflection is very low with certain CF shafts and some aren't very low...so, we have a choice for low or not just like with wood.

I could go on and on but, dont need to. If you dont want one, dont buy one. No biggie to me nor will it be to any other person on the planet, NOBODY cares what I play with and im sure nobody cares what you play with either.

Hype? Sure, there is hype. You know what? There is hype about certain custom cues that play like chit but, they are still "all the rage" cause some dead guy made em, eventhough they play like chit.....so, why the hype on those?

Having said all that, dont get me wrong, I love a tastefully done cue and have owned several customs that cost more than most people pay for their car.....but, you know what? They didn't play as well as the CF cue I consider my player today.

No hype here my friend. Just like you, I'm a guy holding a cue. The cue just happens to be made of cf.

DITTO!

Why a carbon shaft? Why the hate?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

I'll 3rd that.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my Becue Prime so much that I've sold off a couple of cues, and ordered an ebony into ebony custom cue to pair it with.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

they are like 1957 Chevy's. Great collector car,not nearly as good a driver as a modern car.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont understand the hype around an engine that regulates the combustion on its own and you simply can press the accelerator pedal.

I have yet to use one, but I would naturally assume it would be ridiculously easy to drive for anybody. What is so good about having an easy to drive carriage? Not sure of the correct terminology, but my combustion car needs fine tweaking when the temperatur changes, due to being old. Which I absolutely love.

:grin-square:

Once again, people need to understand man-made materials. They can be adjusted nearly endlessly to fit any purpose one can imagine.
Carbon fibre et al have been around for decades and have been shown to cope with nearly any setting well.

Removing imperfections of wood, having 100% radial consistency, having a free choice of taper (any, really, no need to watch out for enough wood) with less end mass and being damn near impervious against temperature and moisture...
That's what people are after.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I like good ol' fashioned wood cues, personally.

But I am surprised that Carbon Fiber didn't make a big splash, much sooner in billiards.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like good ol' fashioned wood cues, personally.

But I am surprised that Carbon Fiber didn't make a big splash, much sooner in billiards.
One word, PRICE. The cost of cf TOW has come down as has the cost of weaving and curing equipment. Some of the new materials do not require an autoclave for curing and this greatly reduces cost.

NorthernArbiter

Registered
You would understand the "hype" as you call it about carbon cue shafts if you played one.

The flex you love in your playing cue is a personal choice... But the truth is that flex is just wasted energy when you strike a cue ball. You have to hit the ball harder, with more force, to achieve the same result as someone playing carbon.

A good example is a steel hammer. When you strike something with a steel hammer, there is a lot of vibration that travels up into your elbow... It's wasted energy and long term, damages your elbow. A titanium hammer (Stiletto brand) has almost no vibration, and is much safer for long term, daily use... Almost all the applied energy goes into whatever you strike with it.

A carbon shaft like the Revo also transfers almost all the energy into the cue ball. Where I notice the biggest difference in the hit is in the scenario where you must severely elevate your cue to hit the cue ball. Using a wooden shaft, there would be a tremendous amount of felt vibration... But carbon shafts don't vibrate and the hit is buttery pure and smooth. You really don't want billiard cue shaft flex because it's wasted energy.

Able to transfer energy better, you require less power to hit the same shot as a wooden shaft... Therefore, you should be more accurate. It is much easier to achieve a lot of cue ball spin when the shot requires it.

The durability of carbon shafts is their most significant difference. They won't ding and are airplane safe... They won't warp.

The downside to the ferruless Revo shaft is that a professional cue guy with a lathe is required to replace cue tips. Seriously, it is very easy to damage the thin layer of carbon below a Revo cue tip.

In my opinion, a carbon cue shaft... I play the Revo BK Rush breaker and SP2REVO4 Revo Cues (I'm thankful I can afford both)..... Is far superior... My favourite wooden shaft, the Predator 314-3, vibrates too much and impacts the cue hit as all wooden shafts do.

Versus low deflection wooden shafts, the improvement in deflection is tiny.

Carbon break Cues are all the rage because of the energy transfer I already mentioned. Accuracy on the break is critical. You need less force to achieve the same results as wood break Cues because the carbon shaft is so stiff.

However, the one wooden break cue I would recommend is the max allowed 25oz Rage Heavy Hitter which features a 14mm tip with a phoenalic tip. The wide tip gives you a little more forgiveness and the thick cue shaft gives added stiffness. I break just as well, if not better with an affordable Rage Heavy Hitter as I do with my Predator BK Rush.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would understand the "hype" as you call it about carbon cue shafts if you played one.

The flex you love in your playing cue is a personal choice... But the truth is that flex is just wasted energy when you strike a cue ball. You have to hit the ball harder, with more force, to achieve the same result as someone playing carbon.

A good example is a steel hammer. When you strike something with a steel hammer, there is a lot of vibration that travels up into your elbow... It's wasted energy and long term, damages your elbow. A titanium hammer (Stiletto brand) has almost no vibration, and is much safer for long term, daily use... Almost all the applied energy goes into whatever you strike with it.

A carbon shaft like the Revo also transfers almost all the energy into the cue ball. Where I notice the biggest difference in the hit is in the scenario where you must severely elevate your cue to hit the cue ball. Using a wooden shaft, there would be a tremendous amount of felt vibration... But carbon shafts don't vibrate and the hit is buttery pure and smooth. You really don't want billiard cue shaft flex because it's wasted energy.

Able to transfer energy better, you require less power to hit the same shot as a wooden shaft... Therefore, you should be more accurate. It is much easier to achieve a lot of cue ball spin when the shot requires it.

The durability of carbon shafts is their most significant difference. They won't ding and are airplane safe... They won't warp.

The downside to the ferruless Revo shaft is that a professional cue guy with a lathe is required to replace cue tips. Seriously, it is very easy to damage the thin layer of carbon below a Revo cue tip.

In my opinion, a carbon cue shaft... I play the Revo BK Rush breaker and SP2REVO4 Revo Cues (I'm thankful I can afford both)..... Is far superior... My favourite wooden shaft, the Predator 314-3, vibrates too much and impacts the cue hit as all wooden shafts do.

Versus low deflection wooden shafts, the improvement in deflection is tiny.

Carbon break Cues are all the rage because of the energy transfer I already mentioned. Accuracy on the break is critical. You need less force to achieve the same results as wood break Cues because the carbon shaft is so stiff.

However, the one wooden break cue I would recommend is the max allowed 25oz Rage Heavy Hitter which features a 14mm tip with a phoenalic tip. The wide tip gives you a little more forgiveness and the thick cue shaft gives added stiffness. I break just as well, if not better with an affordable Rage Heavy Hitter as I do with my Predator BK Rush.

I agree with everything you say, but the Pool Scientists on here will say it's all in your head.

I have a Becue with three shafts, two pro tapered, and one conical tapered and I have a Meucci Pro carbon fiber shaft.

IMO, no carbon shaft on a wood butt plays as well as the Becue carbon fiber shaft when it is paired with the Becue carbon fiber butt.

And, like you were talking about titanium hammers, the Becue has a titanium joint. The Becue has almost no vibrations, no matter what you are shooting.

I was playing a few games of 10-ball today with a young guy who uses a nice Mezz with one of their LD shafts. After we finished, he asked what kind of cue I was using and I told him it was a Becue. He asked if he could try it and I told him to bang around with it as much as he wanted. He was super impressed and kept saying that their was no comparison between his Mezz and my Becue. He kept saying, "This cue plays AMAZING and it does things that I can't do with my Mezz."

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received a new cynergy and had a chance to play for a couple hours over the weekend. The amount of spin this shaft produces is crazy. Draw shots are effortless.
I found myself making shots that I wouldn't attempt with my old shaft.
However, it's easy to get out of control with all that action. Kind of like a big block in a light weight car........better respect it. So far I'm loving this CF thing.