Linen Wraps in the Heat

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with linen and have been in Florida five years now. My wraps are all getting sticky and rough from play, and I can only think it's related to the humidity here. I've played with linen for years in cooler climates and never had this issue.

Anybody have similar issues or a remedy?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been in FL since 09. No such problem.

I have also lived in the Caribbean, no such problem.

Do you wipe your wrap down when you are done playing?

I had an issue once where a light mold had grown on a wrap on a cue I had not used for a long time...it was stored in a Fellini case. It wiped right off, but now I make sure to wipe down my cues and air them out occasionally. No problems.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Live in Fl. now- Everywhere I have played is air conditioned- so is my house and car- so where are you leaving your cue where there is high humidity? Never have left my cue in a car for even overnight storage- not sure where your problem would arise?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with linen and have been in Florida five years now. My wraps are all getting sticky and rough from play, and I can only think it's related to the humidity here. I've played with linen for years in cooler climates and never had this issue.

Anybody have similar issues or a remedy?

I often wonder if you remember pool.

I barely do.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give the wax option a try. I don't leave my cue in the car so not sure where I am getting moisture buildup. Will try wiping it down during play also.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give the wax option a try. I don't leave my cue in the car so not sure where I am getting moisture buildup. Will try wiping it down during play also.

Could just be from getting damp from hand sweat, and being put away like that.

Sometimes when I still lived in the south, I would leave the top of my case open for ventilation at home.

Another good tip is to 'burnish' the wrap with a dry paper towel from time to time. Helps get the crud off, and will also help to dry it out from the friction created.

A warning about wax, wax paper etc on a wrap, once its on there, its on there. A waxed wrap will get dirtier faster than a non waxed wrap. Not so noticeable if its a black or dark color, but if its a white wrap with specks, it will discolor quickly.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could just be from getting damp from hand sweat, and being put away like that.

Sometimes when I still lived in the south, I would leave the top of my case open for ventilation at home.

Another good tip is to 'burnish' the wrap with a dry paper towel from time to time. Helps get the crud off, and will also help to dry it out from the friction created.

A warning about wax, wax paper etc on a wrap, once its on there, its on there. A waxed wrap will get dirtier faster than a non waxed wrap. Not so noticeable if its a black or dark color, but if its a white wrap with specks, it will discolor quickly.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I do think it's caused by hand sweat in some way.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a spray bottle of water.
Lightly spray the wraps til damp.
Get a linen towel and rub the wraps.

Be sure to use a circular rubbing on the wrap.
Rub it the same direction the wrap is spun.
The dirt from sweat, skin oil, etc. is removed.

The wrap needs to dry afterwards and then
you glass burnish the wrap 4-5 times using a
round heavy glass object like a beer mug or
similar thick glass. Use small, fast strokes on
the wrap rotating it,. Press down very hard on
the wrap. You should feel heat buildup when
done right. The wraps will turn out great but
glass burnishing is needed and do it anytime
the wrap doesn't feel right.or seems too slick.

Bob Runde made my Schon cue in 1985 and it
has #9 Cortland Linen. Cortland is the only linen
wrap I would ever use & several of my custom cues
have CL #9. All my linen wraps are treated this way
and the condition of these wraps are just wonderful
to hold. My wraps are smooth but not tacky or slippery.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Linen Wrap vs Cork

I played with linen for years.... 50 Plus. there were a few problems but humidity isn't your friend. My Cue Maker Buddy, Guido Orlandi introduced me to high quality Cork & that's when I'm at for the last 9 years. Won't go back ... & it's cleanable.

Attachments

• Guido grip.JPG
    Guido grip.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Guido Fore.jpg
    Guido Fore.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited: