Can that killer instinct be learned?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
you could be right OHB, SJM, et al, but ...

sjm said:
I think the killer instinct can be learned, although I must admit that I've heard World one-pocket champion John Ervolino make the exact same point as OldHasBeen --- that experiencing desperation is key to developing the greatest killer instinct.

So far the commentary on 'killer instinct' has refered to pool. Killer instinct is of course common in the champions at other games and sports. In pool the gambling route is often discussed as the best training ground. Many other sports do not have this gambling-based method so heavily ingrained in their culture, yet their winners are also ruthless competitors. It all comes down to motivation in my mind. I can certainly see where money can be a motivator, but don't kid yourself, in the big picture it's not the only one !

Dave

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've recentley have stepped up and regularily challenge the 3 strongest A level players in my pool room at money matches. So far I have managed to hold my own and kept the damage minimal. I've had my share of winning nights, however, I am a few $$$ down.

At any rate, when these guys play me, they know they are in for a good close match. If I had a killer instinct, I could very well be up a few$$$.It's been that close. The problem is, is that laziness creeps into my game and I don't treat every shot like it's life and death.

Tonight I was leading 5-4 (race to 7) and I got lazy on an attempted saftey with 4 balls on the table. My opponent ran out and then made a nine ball the very next break...DOUBLE PUNISHMENT!!!! He went on to win 7-5. In most of my matches against these guys I put myself in a posistion to win and sometimes my lack of killer instinct does me in. I think a part of me is just proud that I can compete and give them some headaches.

Being in close matches(with good players) is losing it's lustre. I'm getting tired of losing close matches and THINKING I've earned their respect. The only way these guys will truley respect me is when I close the deal. Close the deal and make them suffer.

I believe that a killer instinct can come when one is tired of losing.I believe that losing CAN be the fertilizer that CAN turn one into a killer.Losing feels like shit and fertilizer is shit. Good things can grow when shit is dealt with properly. Sure there is natural(God given) tendencies involved, however, I believe it takes dedicated focus, determination, concentration and HEART to finish the deal.On EVERY shot. Basically it takes hard work and when it comes to hard work, laziness MUST be omitted. RJ

I believe that a killer instinct CAN be learned. Just get sick of losing.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
catscradle said:
It seems like I just don't have that killer instinct. ,,,,eating those other people 4-0 and going up, but that would be another thread. I just kind of lost interest after 3 games.
Any suggestions?

i really think you've answered your own question. ENJOY the game. i didn't want to lose,,,,but i didn't care if i lost. the game remains beautiful.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
So, I played in a local tourney last weekend with over 50 players.

I'm kickin' butt and in the flow, ya know, when I match up with a player I can beat most times. We start talking about where he's from, who he knows, etc. and I end up having a good time socially, but forget to play pool, so I lost. D'oh!

Several other players asked me how I lost against an inferior player. I thought about it and figured it was because I was having fun the normal way instead of having fun kickin' butt. I then lost my loser match against another guy I can beat and was beating until I forgot to aim the 8 ball at the end of my table run. Forgot to fuggin' aim. Aim. Forgot. wtf???

After 14 years since this thread was started and I'm no where closer to mastering this than I was back then. In fact, with age, it's gotten worse.

Help.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I played in a local tourney last weekend with over 50 players.

I'm kickin' butt and in the flow, ya know, when I match up with a player I can beat most times. We start talking about where he's from, who he knows, etc. and I end up having a good time socially, but forget to play pool, so I lost. D'oh!

Several other players asked me how I lost against an inferior player. I thought about it and figured it was because I was having fun the normal way instead of having fun kickin' butt. I then lost my loser match against another guy I can beat and was beating until I forgot to aim the 8 ball at the end of my table run. Forgot to fuggin' aim. Aim. Forgot. wtf???

After 14 years since this thread was started and I'm no where closer to mastering this than I was back then. In fact, with age, it's gotten worse.

Help.

Jeff Livingston
Do you ever gamble? The thought that you might lose your own $$$ tends to create immediate focus.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I end up having a good time socially, but forget to play pool, so I lost. D'oh! ...
I've played some of my best billiards when I was having a good time on the side. When I went to the table, though, it had all my attention. "The Inner Game of Tennis" helped me a lot with attitude.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
To me, the ‘killer instinct’ is just a matter of sanity.
If you don’t feel like playing the game as well as you can....
....go home and watch TV

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played some of my best billiards when I was having a good time on the side. When I went to the table, though, it had all my attention. "The Inner Game of Tennis" helped me a lot with attitude.
Someone asked Fred Couples how he could concentrate for a 4hr golf round. He said that would be crazy to even try. Said he got into basically a "shot bubble", hit his shot and then thought about anything but golf until he got to his next shot. Playing pool/billiards is same deal. Tough if not impossible to concentrate/grind the whole match. Gallway's book is very good, btw.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no such thing as a killer instinct in a just for fun situation.
Nobody is born an excellent pool player with nerves of steel.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sometime you just have to admit its time to enjoy losing

winning is not for everybody

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Killer instant is an intresting subject, if you wish to be a great POOL play.

Practice, learning to Focus, and block out everything will improve Proformance.

Mental part of the game is a tought learn, blowing out everything going on in your life, around you, and DEVOTING 110% of your attention to each shot is half the battle.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if it can be learned but I know it can be lost. I grew up hungry. I'm not hungry anymore. If I didn't win I couldn't buy food or clothes. Now I just don't care. Win or lose I still go home happy. Gone are the days when I could Kill,Cripple or Destroy.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Want to know the secret to "developing" the killer instinct?

Develop the ability to kill in the first place.

If you don't have the skill to snap it off, you can't kill it no matter how hard you try.

Lou Figueroa

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Do you ever gamble? The thought that you might lose your own $$$ tends to create immediate focus.

I used to and when I did, I had that killer whatever it is. I'd win, not because I was good, but because I knew how to finish. I'm not so poor now, so that wouldn't work the same unless I put rent money on the line and that's not gonna happen.

I quit gambling for a variety of reasons, so I really don't want to go back to that.

You're correct, though, that does work. It's a big learning experience that most good players have gone through, I'd guess.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

I'd better re-read that.

That's is basically what I'm trying to do when at these tourneys and at leagues, etc.. I don't want to get so serious that I can't have fun, but I don't want my fun to distract from my pool either. We suffer so.;)

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Someone asked Fred Couples how he could concentrate for a 4hr golf round. He said that would be crazy to even try. Said he got into basically a "shot bubble", hit his shot and then thought about anything but golf until he got to his next shot. Playing pool/billiards is same deal. Tough if not impossible to concentrate/grind the whole match. Gallway's book is very good, btw.

OK, I'm thinking this is the direction I'd better take my thinking towards.

Shot Bubble.....hmmmmm....

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Very profound and very intelligent.
I salute you.
Someone with your insight and approach to the game can be a very, very, dangerous and deadly opponent.
:thumbup:

I wrote that, what, 14 years ago.

I used to be smarter, maybe? :cool:

I got that term from a golf cassette tape by George somebody. It makes a lot of sense, vs. believing in instinctive pool or whatever.

Jeff Livingston