Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Former Straight Pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626.

Have to love the sincere amazement, respect, and informed appreciation these world-class Straight Pool champions express about John’s record-breaking feat. The unreserved praise, analyses, and pure enthusiasm of his well-credentialed contemporaries are quite admirable and impressive.

Arnaldo

Full Billiards Digest article here:

https://tinyurl.com/y44u655f

Excerpted comments below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champs Weigh In

Mike Sigel
World 14.1 Champion 1979, '81, '85

It's the most amazing feat I've ever heard. My high run was 339. Look at all the other runs he had in the 300s and 400s. How hard is what he did? He's the only one that's ever done it. You have to have the ability and you have to get a shot after 44 consecutive break shots. It's hard to believe. To concentrate that long and get the opportunity in 44 racks is amazing. As for criticism, I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit. The reality is that nobody else has even come close to that. Even if straight pool was the game today and all the top players were playing it all the time, I still don't think this number would be beat. That's how incredible it is.

Thorsten Hohmann
World 14.1 Champion 2006
World Tournament of 14.1
Champion 2011, '13, '15, '18

For starters, I have to give John credit for such a pubic attempt, putting the pressure on himself by putting his attempts on social media. It was a mission. And for him to put up so many high runs over that time is pretty amazing. And to get to 626 is incredible. I don't have an opinion on people's discussion of its merit. Him doing it is amazing. I don't care about who recognizes it.

Nick Varner
World 14.1 Champion 1980, '86

I don't think anybody has tried that hard before. This was John's goal and he accomplished it. My high run is 337. It's a remarkable feat to break Mosconi's record after all these years, and to break it on a 9-foot table is even better. I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case. What's even more amazing to me is that he ran 100 more balls after he broke the record. Concentration is such a big part of running balls in straight pool and it would have been hard for me not to stop and celebrate after hitting 527.

Darren Appleton
World Tournament of 14.1 Champion 2014

To me, it's one of the greatest feats of all time in our sport. It's an incredible achievement. I didn't think he'd make it after breaking down on 400 a few times. The pressure once he got to 450 would be too much for anyone. But it was a lifelong ambition for him and his determination was amazing. He deserved it more than any other players. Negativity on social media has been disappointing, but John has the respect for this achievement from his fellow professionals because we all know what a mammoth effort it was and how difficult this really is.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite an ccomplishment

I have played pool over 60 years,sometime against vtop quality competition

and I have a hard time running 15 balls,when I think about what Schmidt did ,
I find it almost impossible to believe

I know how strange balls roll ,freeze or get hooked ,this record could stand forever

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Any or all of them may have seen the elusive video evidentiary procedure. I imagine John would ask those he's shown not to mention it, lest his adoring fans turn riotous in jealousy.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah besides we know Lou has actually done so much in regards to pool. Not, just another blowhard tooting his horn trying to get a little attention

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
That didn't take long at all.

It would be nice to read a thread about John where most, if not all of the posts are about John and what he has done.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah besides we know Lou has actually done so much in regards to pool. Not, just another blowhard tooting his horn trying to get a little attention

Sure, lol.

Try and make it about me instead of dealing with the facts.

Lou Figueroa
of which
there ain’t much

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That didn't take long at all.

It would be nice to read a thread about John where most, if not all of the posts are about John and what he has done.

More accurately: about what he may or may not have done.

Lou Figueroa
where’s the tape?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Some of the best pool players to ever live acknowledge John's run but:

some miniscule person thinks his opinion overrides their opinion.

I wonder if John knows that he has such control over another?

I hope I never have such jealousy and disdain for someone to the point of making me look, sound and eventually feel like a jacka55.

Willie's run was witnessed and people signed a paper saying as much.

John's run was witnessed and people signed a paper saying as much.

One is accepted by 100% of the population.

The other is accepted by 99.9% of the population.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Only in his wildest dreams could this conversation be even remotely about him.

^^^^^^^^ part of the problem.

Jeff

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm happy for John. The positive feedback he's gotten here from established legends of the straight pool discipline will mean the world to him.

Most of us on this forum have, at some point in our lives, demonstrated excellence at something. For some of us, it's in pool, for some of us it's in our trade or profession, for some of us it's in our hobbies. Each of us, consequently, knows how much it means to us when those most able to appreciate what it takes to attain such achievements nod with sustained approval.

Well done, John. The respect of your peers means everything!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm happy for John. The positive feedback he's gotten here from established legends of the straight pool discipline will mean the world to him.

Most of us on this forum have, at some point in our lives, demonstrated excellence at something. For some of us, it's in pool, for some of us it's in our trade or profession, for some of us it's in our hobbies. Each of us, consequently, knows how much it means to us when those most able to appreciate what it takes to attain such achievements nod with sustained approval.

Good post SJM, I wish everyone was as mature as that post represents.

If or when John's 14.1 exhibition world record run is beat the way he beat Willie's record, well, that person should recieve the same level of respect by their peers.

I'm so glad that it's John's peers and the like that actually gives the record holder/breaker the "nod".

It would be very sad indeed if it were left up to people that are less than his peers.

Again, good post sir,

Jeff

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
So many things better to be doing with my time...

Former Straight Pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626.

Have to love the sincere amazement, respect, and informed appreciation these world-class Straight Pool champions express about John’s record-breaking feat. The unreserved praise, analyses, and pure enthusiasm of his well-credentialed contemporaries are quite admirable and impressive.

Arnaldo

Full Billiards Digest article here:

Excerpted comments below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champs Weigh In

Mike Sigel
World 14.1 Champion 1979, '81, '85

It's the most amazing feat I've ever heard. My high run was 339. Look at all the other runs he had in the 300s and 400s. How hard is what he did? He's the only one that's ever done it. You have to have the ability and you have to get a shot after 44 consecutive break shots. It's hard to believe. To concentrate that long and get the opportunity in 44 racks is amazing. As for criticism, I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit. The reality is that nobody else has even come close to that. Even if straight pool was the game today and all the top players were playing it all the time, I still don't think this number would be beat. That's how incredible it is.

Thorsten Hohmann
World 14.1 Champion 2006
World Tournament of 14.1
Champion 2011, '13, '15, '18

For starters, I have to give John credit for such a pubic attempt, putting the pressure on himself by putting his attempts on social media. It was a mission. And for him to put up so many high runs over that time is pretty amazing. And to get to 626 is incredible. I don't have an opinion on people's discussion of its merit. Him doing it is amazing. I don't care about who recognizes it.

Nick Varner
World 14.1 Champion 1980, '86

I don't think anybody has tried that hard before. This was John's goal and he accomplished it. My high run is 337. It's a remarkable feat to break Mosconi's record after all these years, and to break it on a 9-foot table is even better. I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case. What's even more amazing to me is that he ran 100 more balls after he broke the record. Concentration is such a big part of running balls in straight pool and it would have been hard for me not to stop and celebrate after hitting 527.

Darren Appleton
World Tournament of 14.1 Champion 2014

To me, it's one of the greatest feats of all time in our sport. It's an incredible achievement. I didn't think he'd make it after breaking down on 400 a few times. The pressure once he got to 450 would be too much for anyone. But it was a lifelong ambition for him and his determination was amazing. He deserved it more than any other players. Negativity on social media has been disappointing, but John has the respect for this achievement from his fellow professionals because we all know what a mammoth effort it was and how difficult this really is.

How nice.

Well, let's go through these.

Thorsten Hohmann - a Candian
I really wish this person was here contributing and telling stories.
Darren Appleton - a Brit
I really should look into him more.

This is an American Legend topic. I have no idea why they feel they can chime in except to say congrats.

<fun>
On the order of are there "Russians" messing with domestic policy, here you go.
</fun>

Nick Varner
"I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case."

I don't think he is agreeing as you want. Translated it means, it is "John's best-ever high run" or whatever but not related or linked to Mosconi. If he wants to beat Mosconi, he needs to do it the same way, as the end of a game and no bank shots.

Mike Sigel
Put me down as a fan. I just wish when they put a mic on him the would actually let us listen to what he is saying.

"I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit."

No this isn't something that should be questioned. The evidence should be so clear that there is no room to question any aspect. But there is no tangible public evidence to support his claim that he, in fact, ran 626 balls with strict adherence to the rules except a statement from the BCA. This isn't the Miss whatever title and we are going to "Give" it sally because she tries so hard to keep the weight off. This is something earned by doing something amazing. Not having a good day on your practice table under a lot of sketchy conditions.

If you want the credit for beating Mosconi, then you need to beat him on his own turf, 1 game, 1 chance, one long run until you miss, with a ref, a normal rack, right side of the table, Maple cue, Masters, same table dimensions, no 5 hour boost, on a table used by the public, with the same kind of felt, balls, and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend. Hec you might as well drive there that day and sleep in your car for a while before you start at 8:00 before 50 or so near-strangers that have assembled in advanced who are having a few "pops" and waiting to see the famous you play pool.

Good luck with that.

Bottom line, you can't "GIVE HIM" an achievement he didn't earn.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stuart: Centuries ago an anonymous English writer extended this advice:

“When you create or achieve something that is possibly one of your finest efforts, you will enjoy the admiration of your peers, but take care to ignore envious and cynical critics. Dealing with such critics can be compared to being nibbled to death by ducks.”

Arnaldo

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

How nice.

Well, let's go through these.

Thorsten Hohmann - a Candian
I really wish this person was here contributing and telling stories.
Darren Appleton - a Brit
I really should look into him more.

Don’t think Thorsten is a Candian.....unless that is what they call people from Germany.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuart: Centuries ago an anonymous English writer extended this advice:

“When you create or achieve something that is possibly one of your finest efforts, you will enjoy the admiration of your peers, but take care to ignore envious and cynical critics. Dealing with such critics can be compared to being nibbled to death by ducks.”

Arnaldo

Who ever the writer was, was spot on.

However, in some cases, it wouod be better to be eaten by ducks than to have to listen to the dribble of the jealous morons.

Thanks for the post sir,

Jeff